• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best frame prep?

cnagpilot

Corcoran Ca.
Hi guy's,
What's your opinion on frame and tubing preparation?
I have access to a soda blaster and an electrostatic gun,
What paint or coating do you guys think works the best?
How about powder coating?

I've sand blasted and epoxy primed. A lot of work. I found a powder coater here in TX with a 30' long oven that can do the fuslage. That is how I am going with the next project. I just discovered however than some of the powder is not compatible with the solvents used in the covering process so I am having him powder coat a test piece first. Started covering a J-3 one time that the guy used some high dollar automotive polyurethane paint on the frame. Got one piece of fabric wrapped around and started on the other side when I saw the fabric start lifting off. The glue lifted the paint right off the frame. He was not a happy camper to say the least.

Steve

I use Dupont Corlar, which is a real tough, two part expxy coating. You can get it in brown or gray.

paint

Am using Dupont Collor primer any one use Imron as a top coat?
Will Imron withstand the glue for the fabric?

Best coating I've found is what was used on the early Husky's. 2 part epoxy almost white in color. Don't know if they still use it or not. I rebuilt a husky with about 40 hrs on it. Got enough of that paint to do a couple more cubs. Gonna call them to see what they used before I ever paint another frame. I like that color cause you could see any flaws and I like the off white on the bars in the window & topdeck. Doesn't reflect like a person would think. Plus makes the interior a little more cheerier than black. Compare the interior of the husky to a cub. (not that I like anything about the interior of a husky except the color.)

Coating

I powder coat everything I can on a Cub rebuild. I only paint the outside fabric and sheet metal. Saves a ton of time, my liver, is hard as a rock, and won't chip off. Crash

Crash, How do you deal with future repairs after the frame is powder coated? I am told it is hard as heck to get off and weld around?? What does a repaired area, extra tab etc look like if added after having the hole shooting match coated in the oven?

Tim

Crash, Do you know what kind of powder they are using? Some of them won't hold up to the glues and MEK.

Steve

Powder Coat

I am not sure of the brand of powder the shop uses. The fabric glues have not effected it in anyway. They spray on a primer coat of zinc / gray powder then the color coat. Starting with a 5 lb box of powder and doing a PA-18 fuselage there is half of a box left over when complete. Welding after coating anything either with paint or powder coat, looks like crap. I lay in bed at night when I am working on a project and try to think 10 steps ahead so I don't run into this problem, haven't so far. Crash

Back