• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

12 bungees

JimC

My 12 is on stock 14 gear with 8.5x6 tires, with an O-320 on a long mount. Need bungees. Univair says 3 pair per side. Someone else says 1 standard, 1 heavy duty each side. Any advice appreciated.
Jim

Jim,

The main problem I have seen with 12/14 gear if used in the "rough" stuff is even with the 'rubber bumper' stop in place, if you exercized the bungees much, over time you would flatten the cross tube, weakening the truss. That is the primary reason for going to 18 gear. I would not see that you would want more than 1 hd, 1 light duty bungee. I use that combination with my 18 gear, however we have the dampening affect of the hydrasorb as well as the Tires.

I got about 250 hours out of my bungees and now they are starting to show some weakness. When new you can not budge them by pulling or picking on the wing at the strut.

Tim

The PA16 has the same type of gear set up and they are prone to collapsint the carry-thru tube especially if a side load is put on them. I hear the guys up north don't like them on skies for this reason.

Steve

You got it! nearly every PA12 I have seen in Alaska that was flown regularily had the carry thru tube flattened (weakened)

Tim

PS: when I added the PA18 gear fittings, I left the bungee truss in as it dramatically stiffens that area. The PA18 gear is much better at spreading the load with the added benifit of dampening with the Hydrasorbs!

I fly in the Mississippi Delta. It's so flat we give names to the tallest cotton rows. I saw my first rock when I was 10 and moved to Colorado for a year. My original question was, "My 12 is on stock 14 gear with 8.5x6 tires, with an O-320 on a long mount. Need bungees. Univair says 3 pair per side. Someone else says 1 standard, 1 heavy duty each side. Any advice appreciated. " Perhaps I should add that advice is needed re number and strength of bungees needed for the stock 14 gear on a 12 with an A2B.
Thanks,
Jim

According to the shock cord manufacturer it takes 4 1280 cords.

Here is the website http://www.sbcindustries.com/aircraft.html

Piper Service Memo No. 12 calls for Qty. 6 31322-05 which is the same as 1280HD. This is the same for the PA12 & 14.

Piper Service Memo No.11 gives instructions for installing three cords per gear.

Steve

Back