• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Tank Problem

SC34A

Just wanted to put out the word on one thing to look for during the annual. While performing the annual on our Cub (L-21) after removing the panels covering the fuel tank I noticed that the ribbing had chafed into the tank. Someone had forgotten or neglected to install them. The result was that the rib on the panel had worn through approximately 80% of the tank material. Had this the tank completely worn through and come apart inflight I dont even want to think of what might have happened. Word of advice make sure you check for the anti-chafe strips under your fuel tank panels. Had they been installed on this cub it would have saved the $800 for a reconditioned tank. If anyone else has seen anything similar let me know.

Mark

Hello SC34A!

Yes, happens alot. Sometimes the anti-chafe strips will come unglued and end up not doing their job. Sometimes, a guy 'forgets' to install them.

Don't forget to check for anti-chafe material on the drag/anti-drag tube that goes through the tank, also.

Lots of Cubs running around with welded-on patches from the tank cover panel stiffeners having chafed them.

Before you guys put the tank covers back on, buy a new "gasket" for the filler-neck opening in the cover. Also, check that your messing around in there didn't displace the aileron balance cable and get it hooked under one of the fuel tank mount screws. It's easy for this to happen.

Dave Calkins.

I asked around and couldnt find anyone to weld one up around here. I asked the IA in the hangar next to me he wouldnt weld it for me. I bought a yellow tagged unit from Cubcrafters, still set me back almost 800 bucks.

So if anyone is interested in a tank that is only 9 years old and repairable let me know. I would love to get some of the money back. This annual has been pricey, I also installed some Cleveland brakes as well, heck of an upgrade from the Goodyears. I can actually hold the plane still while doing a run up. Being and A&P and a pilot I know there is no better feeling than the knowledge of flying a safe airplane. And money spent on repairs that could lead to a mishap, well you cant put a price on that.

Thanks for the replies. Also I could not find anywhere on the annual checklist that asks for the removal of these panels. It will be mandatory for me now.

Mark

Back