• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Finally a use for those Goodyear Tires!

PA12driver

Battle Ground, WA
Photo taken of a Piper (not a cub) with 26" goodyears all the way around!

Only in ALASKA!
Murph? did you bring this up from TX?

Enjoy!

Tim

26ingoodyears.jpg

Those Cherokee 140's are the best mountain flying airplane ever made. I think I remember when I was a hunting guide in Nepal how we strapped those big snowman (known as big foot's here) to the nose gear and flew em out from 26,000 ft. What a thrill that was and what an airplane. Boy if we'd had them bushwheels back then we could have hunted at 27,000 ft.

Flying these little cubs is just not the same.

:D :D

I had a lot of fun on my 26" goodyears today, and yes I am a bush pilot wannabee but I have to land on concrete once in a while, and I hear those bushwheels just won't take more than 3 concrete landings....

sj

Tim:

You big-tire boys are really hard on us flat-landers. My little 26"ers are about all I can drag around. I almost got stuck in the mud yesterday, but with my extraodinary piloting skills (and the help of 3 buddies), I was able to fly her out.

Once I rolled up enough black gumbo mud on my tires that they were bigger than yours. Not until I reached about 25 or 30 mph did it start shucking off and the resultant 1000 lb. decrease in weight just launched me out of the bog. Next time I'll remember to install my side windows, though. Took a few days to get all the mud out of the cockpit and off the bottom of the wings.

If I had started out with 31" tires, I'm afraid they would have been rubbing on the wing struts. :p

murph

It's hard to be humble, but you guys are working on me pretty good! I appreciate those smart enough to not use tundra tires for 'show' only! Like I said, I saw 25-30 sets of them on Maules that most likely never see the rough stuff they were made for!

Murph, you are right, that gooye stuff sticks to anything round! Ask Crash and David about the muck on the flats out of Anchorage! That sticky stuff, is like nothing anywhere else in the world!

Was a fun picture to post (got to admit)

Tim

I'm happy that the stuff doesn't have much smell to it, though.

...But don't ever let it dry on your a/c. It's like concrete, 'til you get it wet again.

Without getting into a whole other argument about 26'ers....I believe they have a place. I just think they're too heavy-duty a carcass to perform the purpose one needs on a Cub. They do offer a height increase, but don't give enough of the "deformation" to roll over the ugly stuff that "real" tundra tires will roll over. I figure you may as well run 8.50's 'til you have a need for the "big softees". Actually, everyone should run 8.50's 'til they NEED 'Streaks.

My personal opinion...Dave Calkins.

The roller that's bolted under the engine (wrong end) looks like a 8.50.

PS, I saw a spam can in Texas with a knobby ATV tire bolted under the engine, must have made a lot of racket taxiing down a paved runway.

Steve,

Before you knock Bushwheels on pavement or asphalt you should ask me about our new improoved Bushwheel that will hold up to it !! :D

Wup,

Wup,
You've saved me a phone call. What is the difference between 60 and 70 durometer tires, say 31" radials, in performance on soft surfaces. I understand the advantage of 70's on hard surfaces. Is the flexibility over rocks noticeably different? Any difference in floatation on sand or tundra?
How about a pros and cons list for each?
SB

I saw this Cherokee at PAWS a few weeks ago. With 26" tires and that 540 up front, definitely a Costco shoppin' special for the bush livin' types!

sorry im pretty new here but could somebody explain to me what a spam can is. :oops:

thanks dan

Dan,

A deragatory term used when speaking about Cessna 150's, 172's and other little aluminum airplanes.

We should talk, comparatively, we are all flying burlap bags!

sj

Stew,

There is little if any flexibility difference with the 70D over the 60D about the pros/cons It is easyer spoken than typed in my case. :D

Back