• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A View on Downwind, As 9/11/02 Draws to A Close

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Kansas City was at its weather best today. The visibility was fantastic, puffy white clouds here and there, a nice breeze and a comfortable temperature.

Greg, one of my students and I were working on his right seat transition in a Piper Arrow at the Clay County airport East and a little North of Downtown Kansas City. We turned downwind and looked for a Cessna calling in approaching the airport. Instead, what we saw in the early evening sun was a slowly circling shape that made us do a double take, even though we had see it many times on TV and even once in a while overhead from the ground.

The giant B2 was flying lazily over our practice area, it looked like about 5000 feet, maybe less. We saw the approaching Cessna as well. It was an incredible sight, and it stirred some powerful feelings in me.

Of course, Whiteman AFB is nearby where they keep about 18 of these beasts, so they do come and go. But usually not here, and it seemed like it was just surveying the area, not in any hurry.

Greg and I joked about having paid for at least a can of paint on the airplane through our tax dollars. We know each other well enough not to talk politics, but I think we had the same unspoken feelings on this evening.

Even though it was probably just timing on our part, it felt as though this incredible aircraft was watching over us as and the other little airplanes as we worked in the practice area. Not watching us to see what harm we might bring, but to ensure that we were safe as we pursued the freedom of flight.

It was to me today, a symbol of how incredibly fortunate we are here in the US, both before and after 9/11/01. The imagery, the video, the media, the rules, security screenings, TFRs, Notams, and all the other things including the assault itself did not change that. We are truly, the most fortunate country on earth.

Turning towards Downtown KC I looked back to see the big black plane turn its wing and head East. No doubt invoking a similar feeling of security, safety, and peace in all those who watched as it passed.

:usa

sj

Flew out to pick up the 170 today, and stumbled on the work of some creative kansans. It really surprised us, a good surprise...

america.jpg

Kansans

What a wonderful display of love of country from your fellow Kansans. God bless them and the rest of this nation. Jeff

HA! Funny you should say that. I just bought a Cessna 170B from a guy nearby, which is how I stumbled on this. He had a better offer from a guy who wanted to take it Alaska and sell it but, he said "I don't want to see it go out of the country". At this point I reminded him that Alaska was part of the U.S. to which he said, "You know what I mean"....

:p

sj

Back