• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Exhaust

AKCub

Anchorage, Alaska
Finally had enough.... What solutions are there to the leaking slip joint between the exhaust tube and the muffler? I have an Atlee muffler and have had him redo the slip joint on bothe sides (header and muffler)and still they are leaking. Short of the leading edge exhaust has anyone got any solutions?Thanks
Scott

I've had good luck with extending the nipples on the muffler. A quick fix is wrapping it with foil faced cloth insulation. I don't know what it is called but Bellanca uses it on its hoses on the turbo model. I just hose clamped it around the slip joint.

Steve Pierce

Turbo model bellanca cub? now i'm confused.... Just kidding. Is the foil/cloth for the exhaust pipes running to and from the turbocharger? Sounds like just what I am looking for.
Thanks
Scott

No, it insulates all of the oil lines. Send me your address and I'll send you some of it. It works good.

Steve Pierce

They are supposed to leak a little (it is not the space shuttle it is a cub!) Just kidding! Don't get to excited if there is not some move ment in the joint they will crack at the bends where the risers weld. If you see a slight amount of exhaust residue it should not be a worry! DO MAKE SURE THAT THE FIREWALL IS SEALED FROM LEAKS THROUGH GROMMETS!)

Tim

A little is ok as this thing is based on mid 30's tractor technology but combining a little exhaust leak and a little preheat exhaust and a little moisture and you have set yourself up for a real corrosion nightmare. This is much worse when a guy only flies his plane 100 hours a year and the whole mess has plenty of time to sit and brew.
I am gonna give the oil line insulation a shot and see how it does.
Thanks
Scott

Back