• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Yakima to Juneau Best route refuel stops?

Fencer

grand junction Colorado
So I'm flying from Yakima to Juneau in two weeks.

With my pathetically small fuel tanks (24 gallons total) in the cub any advice on where to cross the border what's the best route, where to get fuel?

Probably have to stop every 300-350 miles or so.

Fencer,

I think that you will find your effective range is much less up there because your safe reserve requirements should go up. The weather reporting stations are spaced farther apart and Canada does not have (or at least did not) have nexrad in that area. You may find yourself turning around a lot. I would invest in 2-3 jerry cans and carry some extra fuel. With 35 gal. in a 150 hp cub, I didn't feel like I had enough range to fly the trench. I can't help you to Juneau, I went to Ketchikan and then all the way back to the Alcan to enter at Northway. Did not take the cub to Juneau. I did fly a Caravan at low level from Ketchikan to Juneau in perfect weather. It was a great flight.

Ed

Done that route before. Roughly: Yakima, Ellensburg, Wenachee, Oroville, cross to Penticton for customs then Kamloops, Williams Lake, Prince George (or cut the corner to Vanderhoof), Smithers, Terrace then follow the river out and cut the corner to Ketchikan. Wrangell and Petersburg are along the way to Juneau if you need them but I'm sure you know that already. Can stay over the road all the way to Prince Rupert if necessary.

It was my experience that there's an airport in Canada along the road every 80-100 miles and gas was available everywhere but Prince Rupert. NAV Canada publishes a great flight supplement with all the airport info along the route. I've done it in a PA11 fuel tanker and a small tank C206. Never had to run short. I did pack an extra 15 gallons in jugs in the 206 but never needed it.

Have fun, enjoy the ride. Lots and lots of wood to see along the way.

Last edited:
Thanks GB
that looks pretty doable
How long should I figure on for customs?
anything I should look out for?

I usually go:
Customs in Penticton (so far it's just been a phone call to Canadian customs), fuel and lunch - decent restaurant in the terminal, but only takes cash (US$ OK).
Penticton - Williams Lake for fuel
Williams Lake - Burns Lake for fuel and it's usually getting late by then, so sleep there.
Burns Lake - Dease Lake - take on fuel and call the US customs in Juneau for the 2+ hour notification.
Dease Lake - Juneau via the Inklin and then Taku river valley.
If you don't have enough range, then a stop at Atlin for fuel.
In Juneau, make sure to park in the "customs box" near the main terminal (just west of it) - the tower will direct you to it - and wait till directed to get out!

CANPASS is the way to go for the Canadians. I've always just called them on the phone at least 2 hours before you plan on landing at airport of entry. Then call them again when you land. They'll usually give you a confirmation number and wish you well. I've never been met by them, ever.

I have never done the EAPIS thing on the US side. The last time I cleared in Ketchikan was like 2 weeks before mandatory EAPIS filing became law. Come to think of it, it might have changed in Canada in all these years as well. Probably should check with someone who's recently done it.

without some very good weather and a tailwind, the trench is not possible without carrying extra fuel.

Weather should be good that time of year, but you can get yourself into some nasty situations due to reporting points being so far apart you go beyond point of no return before you find bad weather.

Yak to penticton should not be difficult to do. If you need to stop before penticton, stop in Orville for fuel, (follow the big river up from Yak, and then keep going north when it bends east- up the valley). If you stop in Orville, skip penticton and head for Kamloops to check with customs and fuel up.

Williams lake is the next stop.

Prince George, (Quesnel if you get tired) or Vanderhoof.

If weather is good, head west to Smithers.

Now you have some decisions to make. Terrace has fuel I believe, so if you decide to head out the Skeena tank up at Terrace!!! You will have an hour or so down river to Prince Rupert, then about 1.5 hours to Ketchikan OVER WATER. plenty of land, but lots of water crossings, so do only with nice weather.

If the coast is not clear, (pardon the pun), you now need that extra fuel probably. Fly north out of Smithers up the Casiar. You can land at Bobquin and fuel up from your tanks. Now you can either head down river to Wrangell and check in with customs, or you can continue north up the highway to Dease Lake for fuel.

From Dease Lake Jacek has the route for you: north west to the inklin, then follow the water down and out!

The places you will need to be cautious:

Smithers to Dease Lake long stretch with little wx and fewer fuel stops.

Terrace to Ketchikan- no fuel in Rupert!!!!

Wrangell to Juneau- Petersburg might not have fuel.

If the coast wx is bad, from Prince George follow the higway to Ft. St. John, then Ft. Nelson-Watson Lake-Atlin and over the mountains to Juneau. Or from WL go to Whitehorse and check with Customs in Skagway. Sometimes they will check you in in Haines, but you need to call them ahead and ask.

You moving to Juneau or delivering?

Call me if you want to talk the route. It is not as hard as it sounds. I took a cub down in november last year, 36 gallons, and did fine even with snow and ice.

Could be way off base here and have no experience up there (don't you love post that start that way...), but this is a large network here at SC.org. Perhaps someone flying that route has the capability to stage some fuel for you at strategic spots. Short notice I realize.

"The places you will need to be cautious:

Terrace to Ketchikan- no fuel in Rupert!!!!"

On my trip, tried Smithers to Dease Lake twice, and twice had to turn back due to low clouds and fog. This was with a good weather report. Terrace was out of avgas. Call ahead to every critical stop to make sure there is avgas. Jerry cans and autofuel stc are very helpful.

without some very good weather and a tailwind, the trench is not possible without carrying extra fuel.

Weather should be good that time of year, but you can get yourself into some nasty situations due to reporting points being so far apart you go beyond point of no return before you find bad weather.

Yak to penticton should not be difficult to do. If you need to stop before penticton, stop in Orville for fuel, (follow the big river up from Yak, and then keep going north when it bends east- up the valley). If you stop in Orville, skip penticton and head for Kamloops to check with customs and fuel up.

Williams lake is the next stop.

Prince George, (Quesnel if you get tired) or Vanderhoof.

If weather is good, head west to Smithers.

Now you have some decisions to make. Terrace has fuel I believe, so if you decide to head out the Skeena tank up at Terrace!!! You will have an hour or so down river to Prince Rupert, then about 1.5 hours to Ketchikan OVER WATER. plenty of land, but lots of water crossings, so do only with nice weather.

If the coast is not clear, (pardon the pun), you now need that extra fuel probably. Fly north out of Smithers up the Casiar. You can land at Bobquin and fuel up from your tanks. Now you can either head down river to Wrangell and check in with customs, or you can continue north up the highway to Dease Lake for fuel.

From Dease Lake Jacek has the route for you: north west to the inklin, then follow the water down and out!

The places you will need to be cautious:

Terrace to Ketchikan- no fuel in Rupert!!!!

Wrangell to Juneau- Petersburg might not have fuel.

If the coast wx is bad, from Prince George follow the higway to Ft. St. John, then Ft. Nelson-Watson Lake-Atlin and over the mountains to Juneau. Or from WL go to Whitehorse and check with Customs in Skagway. Sometimes they will check you in in Haines, but you need to call them ahead and ask.

You moving to Juneau or delivering?

Call me if you want to talk the route. It is not as hard as it sounds. I took a cub down in november last year, 36 gallons, and did fine even with snow and ice.

my company wants me to look at a fishing lodge They are interested in possible buying . So I was going up anyway and my cub was in Yakima having some work done and I've always wanted to fly up that way so it just seemed like a good idea to fly up early and then go to the lodge.

thanks for all the insight I may be calling u when it gets a little closer

Go the inland route... The Trench or inland...
imagejpeg

my company wants me to look at a fishing lodge They are interested in possible buying . So I was going up anyway and my cub was in Yakima having some work done and I've always wanted to fly up that way so it just seemed like a good idea to fly up early and then go to the lodge.

thanks for all the insight I may be calling u when it gets a little closer

Have them call me. I'll talk some sense into them. [emoji1]. Might want to wait until AFTER your trip, though. [emoji1]

Justin,

You are probably biased a wee bit. Just cause you and your family had a couple fishing, tourist, destination lodges out there for years- why would you have any opinion???:wink:

After all, you were able to retire to construction where you only need to work 14 hour days on average:lol::lol::lol:

I feel close to Fencer even though we've never met we've shared plenty of the same W. CO stomping grounds.

If the destination is JNU, not sure why some are advising the trench? Going to Watson Lake ain't the way. If the destination is SE Alaska so he is going to have to get to tidewater and deal with the WX sooner or later. I would make my way into British Columbia and go to Prince George, turn left up the Cassiar and gas up at Smithers. Continue up the Cassiar to Bob Quinn strip. There was avgas when I stopped there 2 years ago from a construction company from 55 gallon drums. You should certainly call ahead to make sure that is still happening. In any case bring some Jerry jugs. From Quinn, follow the Iskut river downstream to the Stikine and then land at Wrangell for customs and fuel at Sunrise Aviation. The customs shack at Wrangell is an Atco trailer kind of on the west end of the ramp. It's only about 100 nm from Quinn to Wrangell. From Wrangell to JNU is 150 nm which should be very doable in any decent wx. Be prepared for some open water flying though.

Short range fuel, with the coast and Cassiar down the option is to follow the highway.

Yes, out of the way, but sometimes it is the only way. The trench, without a load of jerry cans, is pretty risky to try to make with his fuel.

Otherwise, your trip route sounds cool, but the Bobquinn fuel will be required without the jerry cans.

Long trip. Choose the route by the current weather. Taku is as good as the Stikine for coming into the coast, or through the Kelsah out of Haines, or through the Kusuwa and over Duff Lake and down into the Chilkat coming to Haines.

Again, that decision is best made once you reach the Prince George area and need to turn. Check weather first!

Back