• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which Rib

RMREBOB

GONE WEST
Arlington, Texas
The Dakota ribs look very good but according to their web site they add 7 pounds to the weight compared to the stock cub rib. I don't have a comparison with the weight or strength of the stamped Univair rib which is what I used on my last project. I didn't like the sharp edges for fear of it chafe cutting the rib stitching even with the protective tape over the ribs. does anybody have any thoughts?

The Univair ribs are heavier than the Dakota's. Not by much, I think about 1 oz. each, so a couple of pounds more, total.

Frank

I haven't used the Dakota ribs yet but they are what I plan to use on my L18C project. The Univair ribs are great if you have to replace a few ribs without taking the whole wing apart cause you can cut them in three pieces. My preference would be to collect enough stock ribs to complete my wings because of the weight issue.

Frank T said:
The Univair ribs are heavier than the Dakota's. Not by much, I think about 1 oz. each, so a couple of pounds more, total.

Frank

Dakota ribs are right around 2 oz each heavier then stock Piper ribs. Univair ribs are around 4 oz each heavier then stock Piper ribs. Piper ribs are nice for weight but are not near as strong as Dakota ribs or will hold a screw or rivet as good. Piper ribs are also getting very hard to find and flatten out very easily in a nose over. Crash

I was told when I bought my Dakota ribs that they were 2 oz heaver than piper and 2 0z lighter than univair. It's only a few pounds either way, and they sure seem to be a great rib.

Back