• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Water Skimming Plane Scares Tubers

GeorgeMandes

Homer, Alaska
Water Skimming Plane Scares Tubers
The Sheriff’s office in Butte County, Calif., is investigating an impromptu Fourth of July air show that reportedly scared people tubing on the Sacramento River and resulted in a small aircraft being forced to land on a gravel bar after pursuit by a police helicopter. According to the Chico Enterprise-Record, Sgt. Dave Lilygren of the neighboring Glenn County Sheriff’s department was patrolling the river when he saw the aircraft drop its wheels in the water and skim the river for about a half mile, crossing under the Gianella Bridge. The plane made several more low passes before the Glenn County Sheriff’s helicopter arrived and forced the gravel bar landing. Glenn County Sheriff’s Capt. Jerry Smith noted that the pilot was in violation of any number of FAA regulations and he would look into the report from a criminal point of view. But Smith, who heads up air operations for the department, also had some grudging admiration for the pilot’s skill. "The pilot's either good, or crazy, or both," Smith said.

http://www.chicoer.com/newshome/ci_6318768

The problem is not the flying that got him in trouble, not at all. The problem is here in California before you are allowed to have any fun in the great out doors you must first file an environmental impact study report with all local agencies. After said report is filed, public hearings must be held to assess the concerns and views of anyone living within 1000 yards of said fun. All neighbors have 30 days to respond with their objections in writing. If and only if no objections are received and said fun seeker is not endangering any known insects with a population density less than 1000 insects per cubic meter, fun can then proceed. :roll:

Marty57

Marty--- And what part of that do you have a problem with ??? Just kidding of course !!! I went there once on a 747 and pilot had to cancel final approach because an earthquake knocked out all communications to LAL--My eighth grade teacher told me once that a word to the wise is sufficient-- Only a fool needs a brick !! I ain't going back. 'Nuff said.
Steve J

Gravel Bars and water

Latley I have been listening to several people who have seen small planes landing close to people on the rivers and flying to close to houses that over look the river. Most all of them came to our local airport and made complaints and some had N numbers and vidioes.
The FAA is now very much aware of this and rumors are flying all around the area now, as to how dangerous these small planes are and to be careful near the river.
One vidieo is outstanding showing a cub dragging a guys fishing pole down the beach. One un-happy fisherman! the pole was in a fishing pole holder. I think thats one vidio that will travel around the world a few times. The guy that took it is making me a copy so I can see it.
So the local airport is real mad because there being blamed for something they didn't do. The F.A.A is now gathering more information and will surface soon. I know that I will make some people mad by saying this, but we need to be more careful. Non flyers don't understand whats going on and getting very upset with small planes.
This area will most likely have some new rules surface on small planes and playing near the water.

Bill

Marty57 said:
The problem is not the flying that got him in trouble, not at all. The problem is here in California before you are allowed to have any fun in the great out doors you must first file an environmental impact study report with all local agencies. After said report is filed, public hearings must be held to assess the concerns and views of anyone living within 1000 yards of said fun. All neighbors have 30 days to respond with their objections in writing. If and only if no objections are received and said fun seeker is not endangering any known insects with a population density less than 1000 insects per cubic meter, fun can then proceed. :roll:

Marty57

You forgot the Bigfoot Habitat Intrusion Study requirement!

hey, i was there just the other day!
i was spraying a field right there . when i finished up and headed home i stopped to check out the power line that someone else took out buzzing the river!( a couple of years previous) the line must have been abandoned because it was never restrung. just dangles down from the pole into the brush to the waterline. their isn't as much activity in that area as their used to be. the law ran off most of the tubers. and without the spectators to admire your daring exploits the fun factor shrinks and awe hell,why bother...
of course our aviation laws don't apply to the badge don't ya know!
seen that personally.

Re: Gravel Bars and water

Bill Ingerson said:
The guy that took it is making me a copy so I can see it.

Bill,

No need to wait for your own copy, it's already on "www.youtube.com", search for "river fish plane", it's called "Too Close". The video quality is poor, and no registration numbers are visible.

Back