• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Was this Pilot a member here?

ok .... someone go measure at what temp you need to get butyrate dope plane up to to start a fire.....

fires start because of spilled fuel VAPORS on hot or sparking stuff... it will not mater if your plane is covered in water, fabric or aluminum, or DOPE!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking more along the lines of doing something stupid, because you've killed too many brain cells breathing dope, MEK, reducer, thinner...

Couple years in a rebuild...no one ever moved the elevator controls to check for conformity? I have a hard time believing that's what happened.

Gary

My curiosity is how did this plane make it to a runway? Was this 25,000 Hr guy an IA as well? Tell me no one ever looked over the plane since assembly?
Does it not feel funny when the control stick falls towards you instead of away when you take hands off?

And with 25,000 hrs he never considered a taxi test before putting full power to it?

There are plenty of planes that have been rigged wrong. That is what procedure is for, to find these issues before flight.
Just how did this plane get signed off after the work done to it?

The FAA issued an AD on the Maules a few years ago after they had two seperate accidents like this. Color coded the cables at the elevators and the bellcrank.

The FAA issued an AD on the Maules a few years ago after they had two seperate accidents like this. Color coded the cables at the elevators and the bellcrank.

I know this happened to one of the original Huskys. Fortunatly, the pilot figured it out.

Piper Navaho also. This has been happening since it became hard to clearly see cable routing. Happens more often with trim cables than primary. You really need to have your wits about you when checking out a plane after control cable work, don't get in a big hurry to go flying...

I once did an airworthiness inspection on a homebuilt Cub replica, and found that the elevator cables were crossed in the aft fuselage and thus hooked up wrong at the elevator. Several people besides the builder had looked at the airplane before I arrived for the inspection, and nobody had caught it. Hard to believe, but there is was. The builder's eyes got pretty wide when I pointed it out, and he was happy that the error was found before he attempted the first flight!

One would think that when you did the first mag check with stick back that something would seen strange?

Glenn

Mantra pounded into me by my primary instructor 30 years ago as part of the preflight/runup "test controls for full functionality, work in the right direction". Pretty basic...

I know of two similar crashes around here.
Both airplanes were rebuilt then crashed by the owners.
Both men were experienced Cub builders & pilots.
One was at Oak Harbor KOKH, pilot survived but got busted up pretty bad & is sill crippled up now years later.
The other was at Skagit KBVS, pilot was killed.
In both cases, like everyone else, I found it very surprising that no one had ever caught the fact that the elevator was hooked up wrong.
I could understand it if it was a quick cable replacement, but over the course of several months you'd think that mistake would make itself obvious.

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

I could understand it if it was a quick cable replacement, but over the course of several months you'd think that mistake would make itself obvious.[/QUOTE]

I disagree , If you replace a cable check it for proper actuation now not months later when you forgot you replaced it. IF it is wrong fix it now not later. We had a guy here at Anchorage killed several years back from this exact same thing.

ok .... someone go measure at what temp you need to get butyrate dope plane up to to start a fire.....

fires start because of spilled fuel VAPORS on hot or sparking stuff... it will not mater if your plane is covered in water, fabric or aluminum, or DOPE!!!!!

Yes they START from the other cause....but I've lost 2 friends from a post crash fire of dope, that would've most likely have survived if the thing hadn't gone up in flames as fast as it did. Don't forget, the first layer is nitrate, then buty... at least with Polyfiber or Stewarts, they wont support combustion....you got a helluva lot better chance of coming out of it. Butyrate doesn't need any exceedingly high temp to ignite, and when it does, it burns readily. Yep, you're totally right in that it does start with (most likely) fuel...but why have something that burns extremely well surrounding that?

Not good to hear these things. Just replaced elev cables on my -11 last anual. Find it hard to believe they weren't checking the play to adjust turnbuckles and didnt notice it at that time. Would have thought during run up if he had stick all the way back the tail would have been trying to come up. Should have had plenty of opportunities to notice it. Just goes to show us how important a thurough preflight can make the difference between life, a bent airplane, or death. When I preflight I grab everything. Even the air box. If I get pulled away in the middle of a preflight, I start all over. Just my own s.o.p.

I can't throw any stones, but I was taught that: a) on the -12 preflight (among other things), move the control surfaces and check for (among other things) correct corresponding movement on the stick; and b) during the pre-takeoff check, move the stick to full deflection left-right-up-down and look for corresponding correct control surface movement.

I guess I could see the crossed cables making it through several inspections (sometimes we see what we expect to see, particularly if hard to get to), but I'd have thought the pre-flight or pre-takeoff checks would have been a final backstop to identify crossed cables, particularly if the first time after a significant amount of work.

...but again, I'm not in position to say "should have done this", who knows what caused the missed signals?

I work for a DOD contract company performing maintenance on Army UC-35 aircraft. One of our aircraft was at a facility in Texas getting repainted new interior and inspection. We call it reset. After all the work was accomplished, inspected,reinspected by DCMA and then finally at last preflighted by a two pilot crew. The plane took off with both ailerons swinging in the same direction i.e. left roll input = both ailerons up, right roll input = both ailerons down. Fortunately the crew figured out what was happening and managed to get around the patch with aileron trim. No accident but this managed to get past the rigging mechanics ,their inspector,DCMA inspector and finally the 2 test pilots preflight inspection.

Maybe not necessary but as I'm doing my run up I always look at all the primary control surfaces and confirm up is up down is down left is left and right is right. Every time.

And of course there was a big investigation the results of which my pay grade doesn't constitute access to.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The plane took off with both ailerons swinging in the same direction i.e. left roll input = both ailerons up, right roll input = both ailerons down.

I know a guy who did that same thing in a Champ. Move the stick to the left, both ailerons go up. Move the stick to the right, both ailerons go down. He had an interesting flight around the pattern, but made it back in good shape.

Back