• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vernatherm and Low Temps.

WSH

I need a little help guys, I've searched the previous "Vernatherm" threads and have'ntt found what I'm looking for. At what temperature does the vernatherm open, 160, 170 or 180 and does it open all the way at once or incrementally as the temp goes up?

I can't get the oil temperature any higher than 170 in 40 to 50 degree weather and am seeing some condensation on the dipstick and I'm sure if it's there, it's everywhere throughout the engine. My oil cooler is mounted in the nose bowl under the prop with what looks like a modified opening so a standard cover won't fit. Short of moving it or making a custom cover, I was just going to slap some duct tape across the opening but was a little worried it would'nt stay there and would melt if it blew back onto the oil cooler?? No way??? Way??? :eek:

I'd say that a temp of 170 is pretty normal at 40 degrees. My temps seem to run about 110-120 degrees warmer than OAT.

SB,

Excellent, I'll tape the cooler up then. Thanks

Cubdriver,

Thanks also, hey I'm new to all this, if you couldn't tell :lol: , but I've been told 180 is magic number to cook off any moisture inside the engine. Fact or Fiction????

vernatherm

Fact is the vernatherm does not open the same as a thermostat in your car. Actually, as the oil heats up the vernatherm expands and closes off a port which forces the oil through the oil cooler. I think Piper original cooler cover recommends covering at forty degrees or below. I agree with the above that you want at least 180 degrees oil temps to rid the water from your oil per Lycoming. Make sure your oil temp gauge is correct.

I think I obtained a blueprint and specifications for the vernatherm directly from the Lycoming tech people. 180 is what I recall. The blueprints give the full open and full closed demensions. Can't put my hand on the print at the moment. The winter plate was a must below 50 on my 94super18. But it had no oil filter adapter and no vernatherm.

I have made covers out of aluminum for rear mounted oil coolers. Used a Unibit to dril a few holes in the plate. Takes a little experimentation. I am putting a door on the cooler on my own project. Dave can you post a picture of yours?

Back