• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trim Pulley Bracket Wear

Darrel Starr

Plymouth, MN
One of the Super Cubs at our field (Anoka County in Minneapolis) was recently built up from scratch including a new fuselage. Within 100 hrs of the rebuild, the trim pulley brackets showed excessive wear. These are the two .135 thick brackets welded to the frame that the trim crank handle shaft fits through. The owner's mechanic was able to disassemble the mechanism, drill and ream the holes out from 3/8 to 1/2 inch and make hat shaped bushings to fit. Has any one experienced this type of a wear problem? Has anyone else experimented with installing plain bearings in this location? This mechanic used stainless for a bearing material. I'm wondering if an Oilite bushing would work even better. The pin might have been assembled dry originally or with the wrong lubricant. Are there any recommendations for a good lube for this situation?

My cub is a 1949 and when I took it apart, yea I had help to get me started on the task :boohoo , absolutely no visible wear in the trim pulley brackets that the pin goes through with the nail that locks the pin to the pulley, I meant welding rod........hinge pin stock I mean.
Can't say I noticed any grease or visible lube on the parts either.
100 hours and they were showing excessive wear.....man oh man must get cranked alot.

Chris

Back