• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Today's Fishing Trip. (Dialup beware)

Torch

GONE WEST
Fairbanks, Alaska
I left Fairbanks and headed west along the Tanana River. The lake I flew to today is 66.3 miles southwest of Fairbanks. This first picture is when I started to let down for the landing on the big lake you see in this picture. The ice is about 10 inches thick on the lake. If you look on the horizon in this picture you can see Mount McKinley (20,320ft). The camera has a hard time picking up the huge white mountain with the white background. It looks much more impressive in person.

11302004c.jpg

This is a picture of one of the trout I caught. I think this one was around 16 to 18 inches long.

11302004b.jpg

This was a really nice trout I caught. It is close to 20 inches long.

11302004a.jpg

This last pic is just of where I was fishing to give you an idea of what it looks like out there in the BUSH. My ears hurt today while I was there because I couldn't hear anything for a long time. That is a good thing. I do have to admit I almost screwed this trip up totally. I forgot my ice auger. I left it in the shed next to the airplane. Because the ice was only about 8 to 10 inches thick I was able to chop through it with a big screwdriver in about 10 minutes.

11302004.jpg

Hope you all like the fishing pics. I did catch a trout today that was right at 24 inches but I didn't have the camera out yet. I know, BS without the pic. All the fish I caught today were hooked on barbless hooks and released unharmed. I made a copy of this post from a car forum and most of the folks in there are not from Alaska. That is the reason for the explanations that seem obvious to most of us.

And for those that don't like Off Topic things. What color of floor mats should I get for my Super Cub? Sorry, stole that line from the Corvette Forum. :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :D :D

Nice Pictures

I wish more people would send in more pictures like this, so the rest of us can see what its like in the area your fishing or hunting. Your using your supercub and we can all dream about something like this. Also hope people from other countrys send in pictures as well, its interesting to see Cubs from all over doing their thing.

Oh good grief, here we go with another TFT (Torch fishing tale). The first time I ever went fishing with you all I can remember is the BAG OF DEATH. Now you readers must know this bag is
1) Green
2) Smelly, I know I carried it.
3) Gets caught on every damn #$!^%## thicket within twenty feet of the "trail"; of which at the end of the really big fish hide.
4) Heavy
5) Big, like if the weather got bad we all (4 people) could all crawl in and be reasonably comfortable, once of course "Torch emptied out at least half of the bag's contents.
6) Most important was that it had to go every where.

So to tell us you forgot your 5hp ice auger, with start assist, is almost unbelivable. Secondally everyone knows any good fishing and hunting story includes a bar, Montana, and "there we were". Have you not been taught by the best story tellers?

Nice fish pictures though.

mghallen said:
Secondally everyone knows any good fishing and hunting story includes a bar, Montana, and "there we were". Have you not been taught by the best story tellers?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mghallen said:
Oh good grief, here we go with another TFT (Torch fishing tale). The first time I ever went fishing with you all I can remember is the BAG OF DEATH. Now you readers must know this bag is
1) Green
2) Smelly, I know I carried it.
3) Gets caught on every damn #$!^%## thicket within twenty feet of the "trail"; of which at the end of the really big fish hide.
4) Heavy
5) Big, like if the weather got bad we all (4 people) could all crawl in and be reasonably comfortable, once of course "Torch emptied out at least half of the bag's contents.
6) Most important was that it had to go every where.

So to tell us you forgot your 5hp ice auger, with start assist, is almost unbelivable. Secondally everyone knows any good fishing and hunting story includes a bar, Montana, and "there we were". Have you not been taught by the best story tellers?

Nice fish pictures though.

Mike,

I had almost forgot about that trip with the BAG OF DEATH. Worst thing I ever carried along an Alaskan River. You know the sad part, I have video of us and you flying the Navajho with that Montana Dude in the front seat. The BAG is in the video also. I don't view that one much. I got a really good laugh from your post. :D :D :D

Re: Nice Pictures

Bill Ingerson said:
I wish more people would send in more pictures like this, so the rest of us can see what its like in the area your fishing or hunting. Your using your supercub and we can all dream about something like this. Also hope people from other countrys send in pictures as well, its interesting to see Cubs from all over doing their thing.

Bill,

I agree. I really like the guy in Switzerland who had the pics of a cub on the side of a steep slope. I wish more people would post pics also because I know a lot of these pilots go to interesting places.

Hey Torch..

You have a gift for fishing! So far this "winter" our WX has been cool, rainy, and then a little snow, then rainy and cool.

Can you send some cold WX down our way? We're not on skis down here yet.

You seen like a guy who gets out as much as posible. If you ever get down this way, Bristol Bay, make it a point to stop in. We'll load up some gear and go punch a hole in the ice. Good fishing around here for Dolly's and Rainbow in the winter, and during Jan, Feb, March we have land-and-shoot Caribou around here.

I don't know how to put picutres on the website like you do, but sure enjoy seeing yours.... (I'll be asking for colder WX for Christmas)

Good flying...>Byron

Byron,

Thanks for the offer. I would like to fly fish that area sometime during the summer. I have floats in the summer.

Don/Torch

supercub34 said:
where would you put your ice auger... inside the cub?

tom ford

Yes. I use a hand auger. It comes apart and fits easily in the Cub. It would have been in one of the pics but as I said I forgot it. :D

we have a jiffy ice auger but we leave it at out camp...

ya know skyhawks dont go on skiis lol ( im sure they do but who wants a nose dragger on skiis)

tom ford

supercub34 said:
we have a jiffy ice auger but we leave it at out camp...

ya know skyhawks dont go on skiis lol ( im sure they do but who wants a nose dragger on skiis)

tom ford

I know a guy here who puts his C182 on skis. It can be done. I think you have to be careful because of the firewall in the spam cans when you put them on skis. The tricycle gear ones is what I am talking about.

that would be neat... if we put the hawk on skiis it would need to be wheel skis... i saw on airglas there was a pic of it on there site.

does anyone know if there is an stc for the hawk on wheel-skis?

thanks

tom ford
supercub34

Tom,
My neighbor has a Hawk XP on Schneider penetration skis. It's a field approval installation, and was a struggle since he has tubular gear rather than flat spring gear. The tube gear allows fore-and-aft movement, which translates into toe-in and toe-out. Atlee had to machine some custom mounting blocks to do the install. If you're serious, I can hook you guys up.

Trikes work well on skis. They have an advantage in deep snow for floatation, but they're hard to stop on harder snow. On penetrations your 180hp won't be enough in some snow conditions. My neighbor has Schneider's plates, and has to use them fairly regularly, even with 210hp.

SB

supercub34 said:
that would be neat... if we put the hawk on skiis it would need to be wheel skis... i saw on airglas there was a pic of it on there site.

does anyone know if there is an stc for the hawk on wheel-skis?

thanks

tom ford
supercub34

Kehler from Winnipeg, has wheel skis for the C172 with adjustable penetration posts. I had a set here about 2 years ago but sold them to a guy in Cold Lake Alberta.
Wayne
Kehler_skis.sized.jpg

Back