• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The next few hours -- grass saved my ego

JMBreitinger

Minneapolis, MN
Thanks to all who replied to my earlier post. It will likely come as no surprise that there was nothing wrong with my airplane.

After being suitably humbled, I re-read The Compleat Taildragger Pilot and ventured out on my own. I stuck mainly to grass and found that I could get the airplane to do almost exactly what I wanted. Mike Vivion's advice about breaking the corrections into three parts helped immensely. I did eight wheel landings and a dozen three point landings, practiced high speed taxiing and generally had a great time.

Coming home to the asphalt kept me from feeling too comfortable. It is amazing how differently the airplane behaves on this less forgiving surface. I would not have believed it without the experience.

The best thing was cruising low and slow. It is really amazing what one sees when cruising at 700' AGL at 92 MPH. There was not a lot to look at inside the plane so I spent much more time than I am accustom to looking around on the ground. I saw an incredible amount of game through the leafless trees. I am already seeing the world through different eyes. I never realized how many grass strips there still are around here.

My favorite mod is the music input that we installed with our new intercom. Since there is generally no one to talk to while cruising around low and slow in rural areas, I had my iPod pumping out my favorite music.

There is no question in my mind that the Citabria was much easier to handle on the ground. Looking at the two airplanes side by side, one can see that the landing gear geometry is different. Once I got my head right, I found the Super Cub to be vastly more fun -- more solid and more responsive -- but, for me, less forgiving.

Sounds like you had a blast! Congrats on your new baby. You mentioned a name that is somewhat familiar to me, Mike Vivion. Is he Dave Vivion's son? I had a Dave Vivion in an instrument ground school who mentioned a son in the Minneapolis area. Just curious.

John,

Good job! Now, keep going out there and working on your relationship with the airplane until you are completely comfortable with it. That's the key to really enjoying the airplane. If every time you go flying, you're thinking that a wind might come up, or whatever, you won't enjoy it so much.

Take it a step at a time, carefully, and if you run into issues, find an instructor that can help you through them, then move on.

Most of all, have fun.

We all have different perspectives on each airplane, and every airplane has it's challenges. They are all different, and they all require a slightly different technique. That's why I always recommend finding an experienced instructor in the make and model you're dealing with, not just an experienced tailwheel driver.

The Compleat Taildragger Pilot is also a good resource.

Take care, and enjoy,

MTV

Back