• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Television Casting

MTV,
While I can't (and won't) speak for everyone, I believe that no-one here has anything against this guy. BUT - given the overall theme of "idiocracy" that the "reality show" genre of television has brought about (and OCC is just one prime example), I think it is fair that folks here approach this deal with skepticism. I don't watch "reality shows" because I have better things to do with my time, but have seen them enough to know that the producers edit them (often to highlight and stress negative images of someone/something). It would be too late, if they film something that could/would embarrass or harm someone, or GA and edit the show to highlight that particular event.
I truly hope this guy is legit, and that his boss' are also legit, and that a show which helps PROMOTE GA without twisting things around or focusing on negative incidents (such as crashes or 'bad practices'). Maybe if he were a pilot, folks here wouldn't be as cautious about his approach. But let's face it, he has nothing to lose, and we (as a flying community that is often scrutinized) certainly do.
Just my take on this thread, maybe not worth the 5cents worth of bandwidth that it took to post, but there you have it. ;)

Cliff

I have promised a Caribou hunt in August not sure I can back out of it. How many of your Ukrainian friends will be there?

Back to the original topic.

I would have a hard time believing a producer would go through the trouble and expense to promote a show and individual pilots (like deadliest catch) just to air a segment that would risk a pilots certificate. Would seem to be bad business and a pretty short run series.

Cub_Driver

Wiley,

I understand some skeptisism on anything related to television. I HAVE seen 60 Minutes episodes that so far distorted the truth that it wasn't even funny, to obviously make a point.

Nevertheless, as another member of this forum noted to me in a PM, this web site is to me the best source of information on general aviation type operations there is, and certainly on the kind of flying operation he is looking at.

The Deadliest Catch has been mentioned several times here. Have you watched a segment of that show? I know a LITTLE about the Bering Sea fisheries (darn little, but a little) and it seems to me that program is pretty accurate, and does a fair job of portraying that industry.

Same goes for the segments of "Ice Pilots" that have been posted on YouTube this last winter.

I'll grant you that the film industry may not have the best record for accuracy, and that anyone should proceed with caution.

But it seems like this thread turned into something not very helpful, from a group that is typically VERY helpful. I think this forum is a great resource.

MTV

If you are interested in making this program I would head to Alaska and start talking to folks who do this for a living. Would be interesting. Lots of cool stuff goes on in the lower 48 but don't know of many people flying into the bush for a living.

"But, I think the babble on this thread in response to his legitimate question is embarrassing."

MTV, I don't think the comment is embarrassing or lacking in our usual generosity as much as it is curious.

The pitch is not the way one approaches a television series other than to elicit interest in it.

mvivion said:
Victor Bravo,

So, what's YOUR beef with this gentleman? You know nothing about him, yet you potificate at length about how he's out to screw anyone who might try to assist him in his project?

I don't know anything about the film industry.

But, I think the babble on this thread in response to his legitimate question is embarrassing.

MTV

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but I have absolutely no idea if he is one of the 2% of reality TV producers that are completely above boards. My posts were meant to point out that (IMHO) 98% of reality TV producers are not on the level, and will lie/cheat/steal/run over your mother with a Ferrari in order to be successful in reality TV.

I didn't know this guy personally and had no axe to grind with him. But some of you act as if I had been suggesting a public stoning.

And sorry for the pontification. It's just that apparently some people don't understand things the first or second time you say that you're not aiming an attack at one specific person.

Now everyone just please disregard my previous posts on the subject, Jeff can have his libel lawyers stand down and dismount, and I'll go about this in a different way -

"Hey mister, you might not want to walk down that alley after dark... I've seen a lot of pretty dangerous characters around there most of the time... and you look like a big fat tourist with a new camera hanging down in front of your big fat polyester-shirt-covered belly and your wallet bulging out like that. I know the cruise ship director told you how friendly the natives are here on the island, but this is the other side of town now and I don't want to see you get hurt. Not everybody down that alley is up to no good but enough of them are that you should think twice before you go down there. Have a nice safe visit here in the Hollywood Islands, mister... and good day to you" :D

[quote="VictorBravo]

"Hey mister, you might not want to walk down that alley after dark... I've seen a lot of pretty dangerous characters around there most of the time... and you look like a big fat tourist with a new camera hanging down in front of your big fat polyester-shirt-covered belly and your wallet bulging out like that. I know the cruise ship director told you how friendly the natives are here on the island, but this is the other side of town now and I don't want to see you get hurt. Not everybody down that alley is up to no good but enough of them are that you should think twice before you go down there. Have a nice safe visit here in the Hollywood Islands, mister... and good day to you" :D[/quote]

Thanks VB, but I am carrying my EZ-flap handle and will club the life outta any twit that comes my way :lol: :lol: :wink:

(I couldn't resist)

[quote="VictorBravo]

"Hey mister, you might not want to walk down that alley after dark... I've seen a lot of pretty dangerous characters around there most of the time... and you look like a big fat tourist with a new camera hanging down in front of your big fat polyester-shirt-covered belly and your wallet bulging out like that. I know the cruise ship director told you how friendly the natives are here on the island, but this is the other side of town now and I don't want to see you get hurt. Not everybody down that alley is up to no good but enough of them are that you should think twice before you go down there. Have a nice safe visit here in the Hollywood Islands, mister... and good day to you" :D[/quote]

Thanks VB, but I am carrying my EZ-flap handle and will club the life outta any twit that comes my way :lol: :lol: :wink:

(I couldn't resist)

aktango58 said:
[quote="VictorBravo]

Thanks VB, but I am carrying my EZ-flap handle and will club the life outta any twit that comes my way

(I couldn't resist)

Tango, you're right... I shoulda put that in the FAA-approved Instructions for Continued Airworthiness... "If you are forced to use EZ Flap as a bludgeon or weapon, please remove any TV producer blood from the unit before installing it, since TV producer blood is highly corrosive to any legitimate aviation purpose".

BUsch pilot TV

The request from the producer is totally legit. The problem is that TV seldom follows through on the producers original intent. Remember that in Hollywood all planes go into a "tailspin" when the motor goes haywire.

Victor Bravo knows what he is talking about; and if he is who I think he is (son of Milton B, maybe - we talked about my Bird Dog once) then he's seen a lot of what happens after the concept, filming and editing.

The idea is great, but the producer will need a lot of support, and those involved need contractual protections. In the 80's we did a TV show flying two 600 Stearmans from California to Boston, and it was well done with a lot of human interest and Americana. These days, the guy behind it would never get the support from the station to be gone for 10 days. Incidentally, after the show was aired my PMI called and said, "Wayne, why did you have passengers in those Restricted Category airplanes?" You'll need a liason to coordinate with the FAA before you start. That could blunt the edge right off. Also, I contend that every time film and cameras are involved, the risk level goes way up, especially as people are asked, or feel compelled to do things they might not do otherwise. Worse yet, they need to do retakes, and that is what they say killed Paul Mantz in the filming of Flight of the Phoenix.

After looking at the producers site, I realized we had flown promos for his shows including STUDS in the UK and that this is a legit company. So I say have at it!

I await to see this come to light. Hope that no one is hurt by either incidents/accidents or film producer greed. I believe that if properly done, this could be a really good show, and a good promotion for flying, but if done like many other "reality TV shows", someone could end up losing a license over this (or worse). I admit, I will occasionally troll Discovery Channel and watch "Deadliest Catch", used to watch some "American Chopper" till they seemed to thrive on the bickering and fighting. From working with people who were/are hooked on this type of television, it seems that more often than not "REALITY" is the first thing to leave the TV when these shows air.

Re: BUsch pilot TV

Stearman600 said:
and that is what they say killed Paul Mantz in the filming of Flight of the Phoenix.

No, flying into the ground while drunk was what killed Paul Mantz

Back