• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stewart paint application

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Has any one out there tried applying ekofill on ceconite using a sponge roller?Have been using the sponge paint brushes but went through 20 just doing one wing due poor manufacturing of the brushes.

Last edited:
You are pushing way to hard if you wear out the foam brush. Only wet out the beveled edge of the brush and work it until the brush is dry before re-wetting. I don't recommend you drag the foam brush up over the pinked edges of the tapes because they will pull tiny chunks of foam off the brush and you can lift a pinked edge that way. Instead come off the tape onto the fabric. Your pinks will look better, the brush will last longer, and you'll have less trash on the surface. After the first brushed coats have been applied to fill the weave go back over the pinks with the iron to melt/stick back down the edge.

Yes it has been rolled on but I can tell you that it will leave a texture just like what you get when you roll paint on the interior walls of your house. It's very important for maximum adhesion that you get the EkoFill to penetrate the weave of the fabric and brushing seems to work best. The directions say this but many people forget "Make sure the fabric is damp before you apply the first coat of EkoFill" damp fabric acts like a sponge to pull the Ekofill into the weave.

email me and I'll send you some updated instructions that will give you a simplified explanation of what you are trying to do when applying EkoFill

Jason

you can also get firm and soft foam brushes.the firm ones last and it's what you want, if you are going through them that fast and not getting good penetration you might have the soft brushes.

Where do you get firm and soft foam brushes ? The stores around here only have one kind and they're cheap ones

Thanks guys for all the help.I must go to Oklahoma before my next job,it sure is hard to get good gear these days.I eventually used a 3 inch width foam roller and then just used one of my remaining tipped foam brush to finish it off.The finish is great.

Jason How about comment on this will it fill the weave ? Why not just get your foam brushs from Stewarts ? Ron

Stewart rollers

Has any one out there tried applying ekofill on ceconite using a sponge roller?Have been using the sponge paint brushes but went through 20 just doing one wing due poor manufacturing of the brushes.

-Home Depot/LOWES(grey foam, wood handle) : OK.
-Harbor Freight : usually the same as Home depot(OK).
-Dollar store stuff(black, dark foam, soft)etc: forget it,except for small runs.

Advantage of using a brush is "working" the sealer into the weave; disadvantage is leaving marks and bumps, that could be visible. A sponge roller will leave bubbles, ridges etc. and sanding through them later on , might leave you with pinholes and all sorts of unwanted marks.Brush does not leave the bubbles.It's imperative to do a good job in prep, so don't spare your money there. Some foam brushes have cardboard stiffeners and tend not be very durable, but are cheap enough to replace. AFAIK Stewart does not recommend rollers for application and they really know their stuff.

Everything is disposable nowadays: brushes, cup liners, spray guns etc. Nobody wants to clean or reuse stuff because sometimes a can of thinner is more expensive than a bunch of brushes.

Luke

I would suggest a good marine store that caters to yachts and marine professionals. Someone mentioned 3M and I think that's the good brand of brushes. Do not go back and forth. Just one direction, lift before the end of the stroke, lower at the beginning while moving the brush for your next stroke. If you need practice, go to any big marina and find a Hans Christian 43 sailboat owner and offer your services to help apply 8 coats of varnish to the "outline". You'll get pretty good at it after a couple of weeks of full time work!
Edit: 20 brushes? Hah! Get 200. The moment they get even a little tacky pitch it and grab another. I think I still have several boxes somewhere.

Back