• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Starter not working? Try using your pickup truck

Yeah. I'd sure want to wrap a rope around my spinner like that. Might turn into a pretty expensive start.

-CubBuilder

In his book Where Is Joe Merchant, Jimmy Buffet referenced this technique using the good engine and some dock line on a Grumman seaplane (Goose or Alby...can't remember which) to start the other side.

That does not appear to be the first time they did that - looks like standard operating procedure.

Grandpa used to talk about engines with hand cranks, shotgun type shell starters, and a bungee attached to a boot that would fit over the prop tip. Three or four guys would start running away from the plane and at some point the strength of the bungee would overcome the compression and the prop would turn...

He did mention it was important to DUCK and doge the boot as it came flying by. Not his favorite starting system.

I watched a crew start a B18, set up for spraying, in the early 60's with a rope and a jeep. Just like the video.

A Mexican told me one time "...all your regulations have made Americans afraid to do anything. That's why no one can do anything and nothing gets done."

The English came up with a very effective way to start early aircraft engines in and after WWI -- It is called a Hucks starter. The one pictured is in the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden, Bedfordshire, England: http://www.shuttleworth.org/
P1070879a.jpg
P1070878.jpg

P1070995.JPG
P1070995a.jpg

Attachments

• P1070879a.jpg
    P1070879a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 193
  • P1070878.jpg
    P1070878.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 141
  • P1070995.JPG
    P1070995.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • P1070995a.jpg
    P1070995a.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 130
Here is a softball for 180Marty; According to the video, Brazil ag planes run on 100% Ethanol, we cant make our lawnmowers run right on E10. Are the Brazilians smarter than us? Or is it their women just look better in Bikinis?;-)

Jim

Thanks Jim, good thing I read your post since I was going to bring the 100% alcool to everyone's attention. I think it's the women:smile:

Back