• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

starter for high compression engine

hotrod180

FRIEND
Port Townsend, WA
A friend of mine has a Cub with a Catto prop.
He installed a set of 11:1 pistons & now the starter has a hard time swinging the prop through.
I'm curious what starter other people with high compression pistons & lightweight props are running?

A friend of mine has a Cub with a Catto prop.
He installed a set of 11:1 pistons & now the starter has a hard time swinging the prop through.
I'm curious what starter other people with high compression pistons & lightweight props are running?
What starter is he running now? The stock 0-320 starter is notorious for having difficulty in turning the engine. This is because it is a direct drive, without the reduction gearing which is on the 0-360 series and larger engines. Electric motors are more effective when they are able to turn at higher rpms. The stock 0-320 starter has to turn the engine from a dead stop without any mechanical advantage.

Look at the Sky-Tec NL or HT series starters. Also clean and inspect the ground connections between the engine and airframe. The best bet is to have a dedicated ground cable from the crankcase to airframe (or to the battery ground if the battery is firewall mounted).

Web

He already cleaned up all the connections, and has a good ground between engine & airframe.
The starter he has now has a Hartzell data plate, don't recall the p/n but it resembles a "flyweight" Skytec (p/n 149-12LS).
He called Hartzell & talked to a support guy there who recommended the Hartzell / Skytec HT high torque starter.

I'm more interested in finding out what starter other people are running with similar engine / prop combos,
than with troubleshooting suggestions.
FWIW this is on a CC-340, current starter is what came with the engine when he bought it.

Back