• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Solid Butyrate Dope - can it be saved?

sekps

Lund, Sweden
After a couple of years standstill in my L-18C restoration (I had to build a hangar...) I finally restarted last week. I put one of the (nitrate doped) wings on saw horses, cleaned it and made all preparations for the first butyrate coat. But when I opened the (previously unopened, Randolph non-tautening) 5 gal can, I was sligthly surprised: Under 3 inches of fluid there was just a big lump of "stiff jelly"! Actually more like heavy styrofoam, i.e impossible to stir...

I bought the can 6 years ago so expected that some of the thinner would have disappeared, but this was a bit too much. :-?

I added 1/2 gal of thinner, put the lid on and waited a week - but absolutely nothing happened.

What do think - is there a way to save it?

/Mattias

I know they guarantee a shelf life of 5 years on an unopened can. I would put it on a paint shaker and shake it until the solids shake out of the bottom. I always have dope left over and have used some older than that with no problems for repairs.

The funny(?) thing is that it doesn't look like the ordinary sediment on the bottom of the can. It's more like the whole content have solidified and then shrunk 20%. Everything is the "marinated" in a fluid which doesn't smell as aggressive as thinner.

/Mattias

Don't know chemistry well but if butyrate is related to the old automotive laquer there is hope. Did a spot repair on an old Harley racer a while back. Found the old can of orange that I had painted it with 30 years ago--dried up to a curley chip :cry: Poured in some thinner waited a week--stirred---sprayed---perfect match :lol:

I have dope from the 1970s that is still usable. Six bucks a gallon. I have paint I bought six months ago - unusable. I don't think they have changed dope, but acrylic enamel seems to be vastly different from olden days.

That sounds hopeful! Then I just have to find a paint shop with a big enough paint shaker...

Mathias,
You don't happen to have a friend who has a Rotorway Exec.
About 15 minutes of flying will do.:wink:

Back