• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Signature Page for AFM- was it always required?

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
I am a recent new owner of a 1950 PA-18 data plate now in -135 configuration.

I had been told that the aircraft flight manual should have a "signature page." I do not believe I have that page nor does it have a spot for signature in the manual. I thought perhaps it was missing as it was photocopied but I reviewed the original paperwork from a 1953 another member had that also had no signature page.

I think I saw somewhere that signature pages did not become a legal requirement for afm's until 1955 or so, but I could not relocate that post. I'm going from memory here. Can anyone confirm if AFM's did not have a signature page requirement prior to a certain date? What date? Where is that law?

If that is the case- would the AFM then not need the signature page?

This is more of an intellectual curiosity thing than anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've seen copies of "originals" with no signature page, and reprints with signature page. I have no idea what the actual signature requirement is. The signature page on my PA-16 only has Piper Engineers signatures, no CAA signatures. The PA-22 flight manual I have has a CAA signature on the last page. Univair has a reprint for all of $7.55. Buy that, and you know you have the right one.

Mark's signature page is clearly marked "page 3" of "Report 765". It is a Piper document, part of the AFM, and his copy has had the signature removed, if it ever was there.
He needs a copy of that page with signature. He has page 3, but has yet to recognize that it is in fact the approval page. It even says so, right there on the bottom of the page.

Just because somebody else has lost that page does not mean the AFM reverts to two pages.

Apparently the weight, balance, and equipment list are not part of "Report 765" since that legend does not appear on any of those pages. The PA-18-150 "Report 834" does include those pages, and again I maintain that nobody but the FAA or a designee has the authority to change them. An AD can of course authorize a change, but only the FAA issues ADs.

When your weight/balance changes, you do a new document. You do not change the original AFM.

I am not sure why this is complicated.

Nobody is currently checking AFMs. If they were, half of all PA-18s would be grounded. I keep a clean copy for those owners who lose their AFMs every time they clean the airplane and throw away stuff that looks like trash. So Mark can probably fly for 20 years without page 3 being signed. But if any of you have that page, post it in the members only area where Steve keeps clean copies. Please.

Again, opinion, but Dave is backing me up, and he is a better source than I by about 100 miles.

Back