• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shell Lake Pike Run - February 5

Scooter7779h

PATRON
Anchorage, Alaska
OK guys, starting a new thread for what we have been talking about under the Sucker Lake thread in this topic area... That is a Shell Lake fly-in - fish-in -fish-cook for pike on February 5.

I will be out there probably on the 3rd or 4th, and will have the cabin warmed up for the gang if need be. Weather is forecast pretty good at this point (Tuesday night) calling for temperatures in the + teens. I have limited room if some want to stay over night. Arrange with me on PM, first come first serve.

My cabin is the only blue roofed one, and it is across the lake from Shell Lake lodge and is on the East side of lake, about 1.5 miles north of the south end where the outlet creek is. I have a packed strip there you can pull up on, and I will pack some more area for parking, but snow conditions are real good now... no real sign of overflow. DO NOT TRY TO LAND ON WHEELS!! This is skis only, unlike the eastern part of the Susitna Valley, there is about 8' to 10' of snow on the ground a bit less on the lake but still TO DEEP for wheels. If you come on wheels we may be starting a new thread under aircraft retrievals.

We are going to fish real close to where my strip on the lake is, between my plane and a big beaver lodge. I don't think we will need an auger extension, but I would suggest bringing one if you have it. Make sure you have a fishing license, and remember two holes per person is the regs.

Cub_Driver has offered to cook, I will have some beverages, warm and cold available and some other fixings to go with the pike. Fishing is starting to pick up, and a 46" one was caught last week. No promises on a big lunker, but I think we will get into to them OK, and you never know.

If you want more info, PM me.. I can give you my cell phone number if you want to chat, or get an update on pike day before flying out about Wx, conditions or whats going on. I will be off the grid to get to the internet possibly after Thursday the 3rd.

Hope to see you out there, fly safe and dress warm.

Scooter

Shell Lake Pike run

Some have asked coordinates:

61d 56.90' N, 151d 31.79' W
or
61.9483 N , 151.5298 W

Just an update.

Sounds like it has been real cold out at Shell Lake this week, getting -30F or better at night, and warming up on the lake to about -5F the last few days between 1pm and 4pm. That will be a pretty cold social environment... I am still planning to go tomorrow, probably wait until later in the morning. I missed going out this afternoon due to some volunteer commitments. Skwentna never got above -11F today. Forecast is for it to warm up Saturday a little bit (get in low teens), but you know forecasts.

We might be better to plan something for mid-March, usally it is pretty nice then. But those who come, PM me before tommorrow (Friday the 4th) morning or contact Cub_Driver if you want my cell phone number to check conditions before you come out.

Scooter

Scooter: Looks as if I won't be able to make it this time due to some unexpected commitments this weekend.
Sounds like it may be too cold for comfort anyway. March is sounding good. Please keep us posted
Thanks for everything.

LETS CANCEL SHELL LAKE PIKE IN

All,

It is noon Friday , and I just got a report from Shell Lake, still -32F on lake surface. Skwentna and Beninet Lodge on the Yentna are -30F still too.

As much as I would like to go out to my cabin, I am going to wimp out with temperatures like these.

Tonight and tommorrow are forecast to be as cold or colder, and I am just into this for fun. Probably if we pick a weekend in March, it will be a surer thing for some warmer weather. I had visions of sitting in lawn chairs, catching pike and BSing about cubs... At -30F or even -10F (yesterday's high out there at 4pm) it will be survival mode lingering around on the ice, and cold soak chamber test for your airplane.

Hope I didn't foul up anyone's plan.

I agree it's a little too frosty for lounging on the lake with a couple of tip-ups at -30F. Why don't we shoot for President's day weekend, just 2 weeks away?

Bruce

I have promised to check for the Susitna 100 race that weekend so I have to fly some checkers and end up the night at Trail Lake. My wife is running race, so I probably be doing some checking up on her progress prior to nightfall. So it won't work for me to host the group at Shell Lake that weekend (Feb 19-21). Sucker Lake is only a few miles away so I could join the action there that weekend if we went there.

March 12 or 19 would work for me probably.

It's only -32 below zero and you guys are calling it quits! What kind of Alaskan Super Cub guys are you? I wish there were womens SuperCub.org so I find some ice fishing partners. :lol: Crash

Last weekend a group of friend and I rode the Yentna poker run. 150 miles on snowmachines. -22 degrees. Did I mention that 6 of the 11 were girls? Including my daughter? We had a blast. B double E double R U N beer run.

I'm going flying tomorrow.

SB

Heck I just got back into the house I was out fueling the plane. I am ready to go in the morning Crash, Scooter let me know what you think flat lake has been a good this year and it will be warmer there. I agree with calling it off kind of cold standing around and not being able to :drinking: .

I was out flying today it was great I landed up at Lake George and then flew to view PWS. Not a bump in the sky it should be great flying in the morning.

Cub_Driver

Pretty sad day when the women are tougher then the guys. Well since Christina, Cub Chick and Vera don't live in Alaska we'll have to wait till it gets up to 60 degrees with blue skys and 18 hours of day light so the guys will come out fishing with us. Take care. Crash :wink:

Funny ice fishing story.

A few years ago my wife bought me a new calapsable ice fishing tent that would fit in the Cub for Christmas. I couldn't wait to use it, so right after the holidays in early January I got up one Saturday morning, loaded everything and my two boys (small at the time) in the Cub and headed out to One Stone lake for some Pike fishing.

It was -25 when we landed and as soon as I rolled out the "ice" fishing tent the clear plastic window on the side shattered into a million pieces, too cold for this lower 48 item, oh well. I set it up, put the heater inside and we fished for a few hours. When we got ready to leave I quickly shoved everything in the back of the Cub, loaded the boys up and took off. I had un-screwed the fat little propane bottle from the heater and after a few minutes the boys started complaining about a propane smell. I was down by the Tal where it dumps into the Skwenta river so I found some smooth ice and landed.

I dug through the stuff, found the propane bottle and sure enough it was hissing propane out of the valve. It's like a tire valve core so I took my Letherman tool and popped stem a couple of times trying to seat the valve. I thought I had it stopped, but to check that it was sealed, I spit on the valve to see if it would bubble. Only problem was, I got it too close to my lips when I spit, and the bottle (at -25 below) stuck and froze fast to my lips. It was still leaking by the way. I'am turning in circle saying "oh wooster" (muffled around the bottle) trying to make up my mind if it would be better to gas myself out in the middle of no where or rip my lips off. I thought I'd look pretty stupid when the authorities found my body laying on the ice with a propane bottle frozen to my lips so I finally ripped it off, taking a big chunk of skin with it. The boys just looked at me like I was nuts and said "don't you know you're not supposed to stick your tongue on things when it's cold"? Ya gotta love em.... Crash

Shell/Sucker lake gang, Shari and I would love to fish and bs with everyone. The 19 March date is best for us and we have never fished Shell before and would like to. Dennis.

Shell Lake Pike Run - March 12

Cub Driver

I am still up for it... I have to fly checkers to Flathorn and Trail Lake and help check at Trail Lake this weekend for the Susitna 100. My wife is running (or snowshoes if need be), and I volunteered to check and provide extraction of contestants by Cub for those who need extraction due to whatever (exhaustion, frustration, medical problems, etc.) So you may see me winging in and out around your home base as the start is only a mile from you at the Aurora Dog Mushers place. I may hold up on your lake at Rich's waiting for my wife to get in on Sunday. Hope the Wx cooperates, forecast ain't that great, and it is snowing here at the house tonight.

I plan to be at Shell Lake most of the following weekends other than the 19th of March when I will be in Vegas for a conference. Lets plan for the 12th, which is one week after the Iditarod. I have heard both the Pike and Burbot are being caught in more numbers lately.

Scooter

Scooter

Sounds like you have a full weekend ahead of yourself. Good luck to your wife it should be a challange. Rich Little Joe and I had pretty good luck on Flathorn lake last weekend we caught 18 pike in about 4 hours.

I will get my cook stove out and plan to be at your cabin on march 12th.

Cub_Driver

Scotter

What time should we be at your place?

Lets hear from some of the folks that plan to go fishing next weekend. I would like to get a idea how much food to bring.

Cub_Driver

Pike-In at Shell Lake on March 12

I plan to go out Friday, so I would say lets shoot for sometime after 10am on Saturday. Should not be to cold I'm guessing, looks like a heat wave all week.

I don't know really how many to expect, let them chime in on this board thread, or PM Cub_Driver or myself.

Thanks

Does anyone have room for one passenger and fishing gear for a day trip to Shell lake this Saturday? My plane is still on floats, so I will be unable to make it on my own. I don't even have a kitchen pass yet, but I'll need transportation and a pass to make this a real possibility for me. PM me if you have room for one extra. Thanks

The number of lines you can fish with on Shell lake is two I will bring some extra tip-ups for those needing to borrow some. Don't forget to get you 2005 fishing license.

Cub_Driver

Pike-In at Shell Lake on March 12

See my previous posts near start of this thread for directions of where to go to meet up with us. There are a couple of groomed strips in front of my cabin on the east side, but landing off the strips should be fine, a bit "rolley" from older drifts, but soft bumps. Watch your head if you are landing faster than stall speed. Pull up on the groomed strips to park. My plane should be parked on the lake with black winter covers on.

I can shuttle us around with snowmachine. We will fish between the groomed strips and shore.

Cub Driver is cooking, we will have water, coffee and sodas and probably a few adult beverages for those staying over.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bunk... Fishing should be good. PM me or Cub Driver with any questions.

Fish On

This weather is a real drag. Last time this was scheduled it was 30 below, Now it looks like it's going to be 40 above with possible rain showers. The snow is going to be like mashed potatoes after this week of way over normal temps. What happened to normal winters around here.....

Shell Lake Pike Run - March 12

Ya.. Man, yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUSITNA VALLEY-
INCLUDING...TALKEETNA...WILLOW...CANTWELL...SKWENTNA
400 PM AST THU MAR 10 2005
.TONIGHT...RAIN. LOWS IN THE 30S. EAST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.
.FRIDAY...RAIN SHOWERS LIKELY AND A CHANCE OF SNOW. NO SNOW
ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S TO MID 40S. SOUTHEAST WIND
15 TO 25 MPH.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...RAIN SHOWERS AND SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW
ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.
SOUTHEAST WIND 15 TO 25 MPH.
.SATURDAY...RAIN LIKELY AND A CHANCE OF SNOW. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S
TO LOWER 40S. SOUTHEAST WIND 15 TO 25 MPH.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...RAIN AND SNOW. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S TO MID
30S. EAST WIND 15 MPH.

Weather in Big lake is windy, rain and temps at freezing and a forcast for more of the same. I am not sure about you guys but standing out in freezing rain all day is about as much fun as kissing your sister. From the looks of the weather saturday might be better spent cleaning the garage .

What do you folks think.

Cub_Driver

The weather can sure change in hurry I needed my sunglasses all afternoon. I talked with Scooter he is at his cabin tonight fishing. He tells me the sun is shining and the temps are perfect. There is about 2" of mush on top of the ice that could change if it stays clear tonight. I plan to be there around 10am. Scooter is digging out a auger and will no doubt have some holes ready for us when we arrive.

Everyone is welcome.

Cub_Driver

Good Morning

I just talked to Scooter at his cabin on shell lake. He informed me the weather is clear and the snow conditions have firmed up. He also informed me F&G was our checking people last week so make sure you have your 2005 license. I will be loading the plane and heading that way.

Cub_Driver

Where was everyone?

We had PA-12, Citabria but only one supercub (mine) show up to go fishing. The fishing was good we caught a few pice and they where tasty. I flew up to shell lake in the morning and landed about 10 am Scooter and I fished untill another friend flew his citabria in around 12:30 about 2 pm we started packing the weather started to look bad but we did not get out soon enough. We where grounded due to rain, fog and snow. Needless to say our fishing trip turned into a camping trip. But if your going to be stuck some place Mr & Mrs Scooter treated us like special guest. They had a vary nice warm & dry cabin to stay in. Ken Peterson and the locals on the lake are great people we had a wonderful time.

If your going to be doing some ski flying around the valley be carfull on the lakes the overflow on some of them looks like a camping trip waiting to happen.

Cub_Driver

Back