• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich Ground Adjustable Prop

I asked this question of Sensenich on ther website but they did not reply.

My Sensenich 2FOK6-C76AF propeller [ASTM certified only] was shipped with non-aviation Grade 8 hub bolts. In fact, Grade 8 bolts have a higher rated tensile strength than equivalent nickel steel AN bolts. They have worked well for 170 hours and 18 months.

I have an I.A. that would like to replace the Grade 8 bolts with AN hardware. I have no problem with that as long as the propeller can tolerate bolts with slightly less tensile strength. I would like to get a consensus on the swap and to confirm that the larger ground adjustable prop that is STCed for certified airplanes uses AN bolts.

It does not, the STC'd ground adjustable prop uses grade 8 bolts.

Attachments

• PXL_20240328_211135534.jpg
    PXL_20240328_211135534.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27
Many thanks, Steve. I think I'll just leave the hardware store bolts in the hub. They make a great conversation starter.

I have had this conversation with Sensenich and they have a good American made vendor and FAA approval for the use of those bolt. AN bolts are the equivalent of grade 5 I am told.

The Nordlock stop washers tend to catch people's eye as well. Once again, they work just fine.

I have had this conversation with Sensenich and they have a good American made vendor and FAA approval for the use of those bolt. AN bolts are the equivalent of grade 5 I am told.
Steve, Just so everyone knows. If Sensenich got FAA approval for grade 8 bolts, that means Sensenich's grade 8 bolts are approved. The hardware store grade 8 bolts are not. Sensenich got specific approval for their particular bolts.....no one else's.

Agrreed and understood. I was using the term "hardware store bolts" tongue in cheek. Did not intend to suggest using anything Sensenich didn't supply.

Agrreed and understood. I was using the term "hardware store bolts" tongue in cheek. Did not intend to suggest using anything Sensenich didn't supply.
Just wanted some who may not know the difference, not to run to the store to buy bolts. Sensenich's bolts are FAA-PMA approved. That's not to say the bolts don't come from the same bin, we just can't prove it, Sensenich can.

Just wanted some who may not know the difference, not to run to the store to buy bolts. Sensenich's bolts are FAA-PMA approved. That's not to say the bolts don't come from the same bin, we just can't prove it, Sensenich can.
These bolts would also be “balanced” (either by a set or to an individual spec)

What does Sensenich specify for bolt and washer replacement?

Back