• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Scott 3200 Tail wheel alignment

Tom

Bettendorf, Iowa
I need some advice. PA 18 150 3180 TT - Scott 3200 tail wheel

When viewed from the rear, I noticed that the tail wheel on my PA 18 150 is canted approximately 10 -15 degrees to the left (est., it might even be more) compared to the rudder when the rudder is centered on the fuselage. Is this normal? It sure doesn't look right?

Nothing was said at the annual and I didn't really notice this until recently. I bought the plane in September.

It would seem logical to me that the wheel assembly should be perfectly aligned with the rudder, otherwise I will have the rudder trying to stablize the path of the plane and the wheel trying to take the tail to the left. Its as if the hole might be indexed improperly where the control arm attaches to the rudder.

Everything seems to be reasonably tight (including the front bolt on the spring) and it isn't bent. There is a slight movement between the wheel casting where it attaches to the spring. Even after tightening, I can still move it slightly. I am thinking about making a shim to stop any movement in that area.

I am interested in any opinions on this. There are no other local SCs for me to compare. Thanks.

Tom from Iowa

Tom,

The tailwheel should be aligned with the rudder. Check to ensure that your steering pawls are engaging when the tailwheel is engaged. With the tailwheel aligned forward, make sure that when you deflect the rudder by hand, the tailwheel steering arm stays "locked up", ie doesn't move out of the detent. If the steering arm moves one way or the other, you need to replace the steering pawls in the tailwheel unit. This is a common problem, and if it occurs, you wont' have tailwheel steering in one direction or the other.

If it's not that, then you likely need to shim the tailwheel as you noted. or both.

The tailwheel should point the same direction as the rudder, though. If not, somethings cockeyed.

Some of the mechanics on this site can undoubtedly give you a much better disertation on tailwheels than I, and will undoubtedly.
MTV

3200 tail wheel alignment

Thanks to both of you for your prompt advice. I will get right on this and determine the problem. I knew that didn't look right. Your confirmation is very helpful.

Happy Holidays.

Tom

Back