• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacing Landing Gear Attach Points

cdandc

I had a landing mishap in My experimental Wag Aero 2+2. It was more than a ground loop and resulted in the right gear ripping off, a prop strike, and a scraped wing tip. The brand new Superior engine is OK - checked the prop flange and checked OK. The wings and struts also OK -nothing bent, nothing wrinkled, controls OK. Only lower part (lugs) for attaching rear landing gear leg tore off. Wing strut portion of bracket looks OK. Can I weld on new bottom "U" shaped lug or replace whole bracket. If replacing whole bracket can it be removed and ground back to original tubes or does whole tube cluster need to be replaced. I am considering replacing the gear on both sides with Atlee of Airframe extended gear. In consideration of experimental aircraft versus certified aircraft should attach bracket that ripped off be replaced with lower repair, all new bracket or all new brackets all the way around? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Chuck H.

Chuck
I would put a new fitting on, Yes you can remove the old gear support bracket without cutting tubing (take your time and don't get in a hurry or you may be repairing tube) Safety cables next time will save a lot of stuff.

DW

Thanks for that advice. I just ordered a new rear bracket from Airframes and need to get my grinder ready. By the way I did have safety cables but the whole right side leg failed and folded under the belly. I landed sideways due to a poorly executed go around to avoid some runway lights. The front leg tore off at the bolt. The front fitting and bolt stayed on. It was an ugly mishap in a ten hour old experimental and I'm lucky I did not get hurt. I also discovered that my welds held up and the structural cage is very protective. Since I have to replace the right side gear I am considering putting on the extended gear leg on both sides and perhaps 8.50 X 6.00 tires. Will that make it any more controllable or less. Thanks again for your input

Had a quite similar event two weeks ago, when my right gear leg broke off (landing no. 22300 !).
I ordered 3" ext. HD from airframes and will have all four attache points have replaced as I don't know the real condition of the remaining lugs.
Thore

have welded on/repaired many rear ears as it is very very common for them to crack.... but you must do a great quality weld job...(tig thin ear/thick area)

originals were only welded on outsides of ear..... so you end up stronger than original....?

Chuck the 3" gear will give you a little wider stance and thus a little better control.
And like Mike said beef up that back fitting with a little more weld.

DW

[Mike sed] have welded on/repaired many rear ears as it is very very common for them to crack....

I put a spacer in mine, & bolt right through the whole deal, and then it gets the strength of the whole fitting without pinching them together.
Also a long spacer betwixt the front & rear gear fittings to ease the stress on the longeron along there.
*Thanks to Terry, my Cub guru!

Finally finished the floats, got 'em hung, now waiting for the lake to get soft again.
Had a couple of "oh, yeah!s" ... need a paddle & mounts, (fabbing that) and a float pump. (on it's way now)
[sigh]

Logan good to hear it's getting close--- how about a photo of that spacer thingie :eek: :eek:

NimpoCub said:
[Mike sed] have welded on/repaired many rear ears as it is very very common for them to crack....

I put a spacer in mine, & bolt right through the whole deal, and then it gets the strength of the whole fitting without pinching them together.
Also a long spacer betwixt the front & rear gear fittings to ease the stress on the longeron along there.
*Thanks to Terry, my Cub guru!

[sigh]

I'm finishing up my 2+2 fuselage and trying to figure out what you mean by the spacer? Can you explain it to me, I'm kind a slow on the up take. :crazyeyes:
Pictures maybe?
Thanks,
Marty57

Marty/Dennis, sorry I forgot to go take a pic yesterday.
I just put the digicam on the corner of the desk so I'll remember to go do that BEFORE I put my carpenter hat back on this morn.

This "mod" comes from past experience (of 2 ol' SCubbers) with pinching off those gear ears & bending longerons between front & rear fittings. These guys KNOW STUFF!! Not to mention any names, but their initials are Terry Brandt & Tom Murphy... some of you will know them, I'm always thanking them for their adult supervision!

They have teamed up to create the WAAAM museum in Hood River Ore.
Two hangars so far, plans are for at least one more (50,000 sq.ft. ea)
Mostly the personal collection of Terry.

I'll have your pix within an hour...
(I think)

OK, here's the pix:

This is the spacer for the rear gear ears, to prevent them from squeezing together & cracking. I used a deep socket, cut & ground to length.
ear_spacer.jpg

This is the (long) spacer between the front & rear gear attach ears that eases the strain on the longeron there (in case you touch down hard) :)
The long spacer has a nut welded in each end to accept the gear bolt.
longeron_stiffener.jpg

Not MY idea, but a good one!!

Thanks for the pictures. Do you use the long spacer between the attach fittings when on wheels?
Marty57

No, Marty, but that's only because I don't DO wheels. :)

Didn't have 'em last winter, but I am s'posed to use 'em when on skiis, they're kinda considered part of the gear legs now.

The important thing to me seems to be the short spacer, which uses the whole gear attach thingie instead of just one ear.

Back