• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

real slow flight - primary gliders

G

I know this isn't a Cub question but I'll ask anyways. Have any of you played around with the old primary gliders? I have done some looking, but there is very little info on very slow flight airfoils. If fuel prices keep going up this will be the only way I'll get my flying in.
Lug

There are modern airfoils that are better at slow flight.
As a moderately related aside, have you looked at the Carbon Dragon or the SparrowHawk? The SparrowHawk is something else. Very impressive. The Dragon would be a lot cheaper ride, but both are relatively inexpensive.
JimC

The biggest problem has been that most of those are designed for people smaller than me. At 6 foot and 250 lbs they would fit like a cheap suit. Another thing is the price. I could have a nice cub for what the sparrowhawk or carbon dragon cost to buy and build. What I am after right now is something along the lines of Ron Sand's primary glider or Mike Sadlin's bug http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm
Just something inexpensive to build, and rebuild, to go out and do sleigh rides down the hill. Thought about a hang glider but if you say any of my landings you would understand why I decided against them. :eek:
Lug
p.s. The net seems to have glitched. Seems that I am no loner a member, or can log on as a member?

Just wondering and to lazy to search today :) where can you find more info on the Sparrowhawk and Carbon Dragon?

Lug,

I wonder if you've considered motorgliders? There was a guy that flew one all over the United States in the early 80's and it was quite the ticket. Diamona was the name as I recall. It could launch itself, I believe the motor was 80 hp. The article was in Flying Magazine if you wish to research it.
Good luck,
Matt Mattson

Paragliding is cheap. Under 3K US$ for a new set-up, under 2K US$ for used. It's hard to screw up a landing on one.

Also, have you taken a look at the "Superfloater"? It's much like the primary gliders, but construction is aluminum tube with fabric covered surfaces and strut-braced wings. Tow up behind a car, winch, ultralight tug, OR footlaunch. Less than 10K US$.

There's work being done on a hanglider with a "trike-pod". Instead of hanging prone under the hangglider, one sits in a seat with a somewhat streamlined fairing around the whole tricycle set-up. Tough to screw up a landing on that one too.

Dave.

Would love to have a motor glider but they usually cost as much if not more then a J-3. Paragliders have the same problem as hang gliders and my bungees don't bungee very well after attempting to glide from a ladder sans wings. The Superfloater would be great except they wont sell it except as a ready to fly a/c. There was a guy that was working on a similar plans built a/c, but he has kind of dropped from the scene. the biggest reason for the inexpensive primary glider is to use it to teach my boys to fly when they get older and to keep my stick and rudder skills up until I get richer and not so beautiful.
Lug

Thats the plan as soon as I either find a set that has enough usefull load, or find the right airfoil info and design my own. Does anyone have a copy of one of those 30's vintage flying and glider manuals?
Lug

Lug,
Contact Scott Perkins at the Vintage Ultralight Association (www.vula.org). He has an interest in primary gliders and might be able to help you out.
Todd

Thanks, forgot about Scott. He might have a copy of flying and glider manual. If I am not careful I'll have designed a XXL version of the vernable primary glider, loose fitting for the modern American.
Lug

"cheaper gliders"

I don't know about where you fly, but the cost of the doggone tow plane where I fly gliders is more than the fuel for my PA-12-150 for the same amount of flying. I got into gliders because I thought it would be less expensive than renting a plane while I was on vacation, so far I'd say it's about the same as renting a 172 (although it does has advantages, you definitely learn to plan your flights better)

The Civil Air Patrol (CAP) uses sailplanes with their cadets.

Anyone can go that way. Lug, your kids could get in the air this way.

I'm thinking of getting in just to help out the sailplane program. I'm not interested in jockeying for the rest of their a/c fleet.

Dave.

Thats why I am planning on a primary/ultralight glider. It can either be bungee, auto, or roll launched down a hill.

Back