• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 vs. PA-12?

We have a lot of Atlee Dodge mods on our cub. Cost a lot of money but worth every penny..

My PA-12 is about as utility is they get, built right (only thing I would do different is move the ailerons out further. it has been modified inside to be both light and roomy, on 31 BW, Bush Tailwheel, fresh 160hp, and 42 borer, it does just fine I fly it with what I consider one of the best SC pilots around and with the same load it gets off about 25ft longer consistently. Is a SC better?? all things are relative, I haul a lot more crap into 99% of the places I would take a SC. On floats is where the room really makes it shine!

(mine is for sale to make room for my experimental) PM for details and have a look in the gallery for photos.

Tim

PS: I would have either a 12 or a SC over a husky any day!! (Sorry Matt) but I just hate seeing them trees coming at me faster then I can think!

Sounds like a nice 12. Ours had a 150 on it and we could get out of anywhere a cub would. Could fit 3 caribou and a black bear hide with full gas and 1 person.

Just so somebody keeps you grounded a C 180 won't be 1/10th the fun of a piper cub.

I took my C-180 hunting past Thursday. People and gear added up right around 1100#, fuel not included. I landed on a 1000' strip cut in the trees in a 30mph plus direct crosswind. Sporty, to say the least. Although the landing required intense concentration, it wasn't dangerous. If I was in my 12, I couldn't have landed once that afternoon, let alone make the two trips that would have been required. Sometimes, big and heavy is a good thing.

Todays return wasn't much better. Windy, 600' ceiling, and Lake Hood was IFR. One trip was enough.

Sometimes I fly for fun. Mostly I fly to places in order to have fun. If the Cessna gets me there and my Piper can't, which was more fun? And my 180 is an absolute blast to fly, too.

There is no such thing as "one best plane." They're all good.

SB
(Lover of Spam Cans, and other planes as well.)

I personally think one of the best combinations is an C185 on floats and Hydraulic skiis, and a SC/12 on Big Tires.

Having owned a 53 180, 77-185, 1/2 dozen SC's and currently a 12.

SB you are absolutely right!

Tim

Stewart: I took my C-180 hunting past Thursday. People and gear added up right around 1100#, fuel not included. I landed on a 1000' strip cut in the trees in a 30mph plus direct crosswind. Sporty, to say the least. Although the landing required intense concentration, it wasn't dangerous. If I was in my 12, I couldn't have landed once that afternoon, let alone make the two trips that would have been required. Sometimes, big and heavy is a good thing.

SB
(Lover of Spam Cans, and other planes as well.)

That said, did you get your moose?? My partner and I both got our moose using my PA-18. That Cub has put more fish and game on the table then anything elas I ever owned. Crash

I am glad I have never flown a 180 with a p-ponk conversion, I would probably fall in love and cheat on my cub.

1957 180A, Horton Stol, Texas Skyway 250 hp engine, 670' takeoff with 707 lbs. of moose, and fuel for 1.7 hours and survival gear. The bar was soft sand, and the brush was just the other side of the small river. Sporty, but it would do it all day long...

About the AOI change on a 12, please expand! The bushwheels made the plane fly much better, (angle of attack), so I am looking at extending gear etc to try and get her takeing off better.

One down side of a 12, if you are not smart enough to limit your load, you can definatly put more in than you have room to get her out.
]
I did get my moose. the 12 struck again.

Let me put it another way. Do you smile more in your fabric airplane or your metal one?

Both of em are an absolute giggle on the proper mission!!! My PA 12 and A185E are the best of both worlds. The weight to HP ratio is the same in both!! (PA 12-180) The MPG is also the same. Do ya gotta get there fast, haul a load or what. Each has it's own place. The Cub on 31" TT's will deffinitely land in places the spam can won't. If I had only one plane to live with, it would be the spammer!!!
Mike

Well I just had a couple offers on the widgeon and it looks like I will have a sale tomorrow. I will put the money into the house and Then start looking for a plane. Don't know what will come first. C-180 or PA-12/18. Someday I would like both of course... but only will be able to buy one I think. It seems strange to me that they are both around the same price range. 70K on up to 160kish. I have to say I think the fun factor goes to the cub. But a 180 will haul more. You just need a bigger strip when loaded up I think. Hey, what is the max weight on a -12? I think I saw an STC for 1935 lbs. But a -18 STC is for 2000lbs. What is the heaviest STC we can get on a -12?

FORTYSIX12 said:
Let me put it another way. Do you smile more in your fabric airplane or your metal one?

You smile more when you have both :D then you don't have to make those silly decisions.

I have a theory that if you take an overloaded cub, put that same load in a spam can (180-185), the short field performance won't be much different between the two. I haven't tested that theory, just the suspicions of a guy that is blessed with both.

Ron

I fly a -12 with a 160 motor, wxt wings/flaps, -18 tail feathers, floats/wheels/skis. It is a great plane that can handle a heavy load. Max gross (legal) from the factory is 1750, unless it is a PA-12S. The factory made a few of these and sent them straight to Kenmore for floats, and were sold as float planes (No legs from Piper). The max on these is 1950. There is a gross increase STC, which involves a lot of welding, but will give you 1935 on a regular -12. As far as performance, I think it is an amazing plane, but do not have anything to compare it to really. I have only flown this and a wheeled C-172. I do know that I took this thing out hunting this year at gross (perhaps a pound over) and got off a lake that was about 800ft long. Not sure if this is real good or not, but it made me happy that I didn't have to unload and make two trips. (which I would have done if I was running short...Safety First!) Anyhow, I love flying the -12 and personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I did not get the moose :cry:

WOW - 12 drivers every where!

Love mine. Soon to put on VG's and help the alerons out.

What is this STC for an AOI change? I would like to learn more. I could see that this could help with floats on. In fact the only reasion I take the floats off, is the water gets a little hard here in MN during the winter!

Gary,
I too would like to hear about an AOI change. I looked hard, found a couple of planes with field approved changes, couldn't find an approvable mod, and was told by Charly Center to stop wasting my time. For your float issue, think about cutting the rear float struts to increase the AOA. Same effect for off the water performance.
SB

Back