• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA 14 Landing Gear & Brakes

jrb

AK
I've searched but have not found the answers I was looking for, so.... It seems every PA 14 i've looked at has toe brakes they feel weird with your feet completely off the floor boards. Is that the way they were made or did they come with heel brakes like every other cub? It seems that most folks eventually put PA 18 gear on their 12's & 14's. What are the good & bad aspects of original 12 & 14 gear and how much difference does it really make? How much of a pain is it to put 18 gear on a flying airplane... when it's on the ground.

Thanks,
JB

... It seems that most folks eventually put PA 18 gear on their 12's & 14's. What are the good & bad aspects of original 12 & 14 gear and how much difference does it really make?

you can have hydrasorbs or AOSS on -18 gear to help slow the rebound?.... -12/14 only has bungee, that stretches than collapses shut again.

better side load, different lengths readily available, easier to change, borrow....

How much of a pain is it to put 18 gear on a flying airplane...

pretty simple, weld a couple plates on front gear fittings for cabane V to bolt to, atlee and others sell these plates.... install gear...

simple... as long as you don't get into removing old truss/changing seat mounting....

J.B. I agree for sure with what Mike said.

Also, they had toe brakes from the factory. You can get comfortable with it, like most things once you become accustomed to them.

-12/-14 gear is definitely faster through the air.

Old -12/-14 gear should be inspected thoroughly(!) for corrosion. (Probably the biggest reason to get on new -18 gear, along with the 'dampening' the hydrasorbs offer).

Thanks for the info guys, I'm trying to decide on whether to pull the trigger on a 14 i've been looking at. Hate to get rid of the 12, but need 4 seats on occasion and I feel like the 14 would do what my 12 can. May need to go for a ride in a 180 or Maule, but I sure do love the pipers. Thanks again.

Back