• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 X-brace and cowling

Shawn

Ontario, Canada
I am in the process of building up a PA-12 in the Experimental/homebuilt category. I purchased the project from someone who had the fuselage done but I would like to incorporate some mods before covering. One that has been strongly recommended is the X-Brace over the front seat. I cannot find any specs on the tubing size. It is obviously one inch but does anyone know the wall thckness?

I am also making a new boot cowl. The original had a stainless lower plate. Does anyone know if this is standard? I notice some heat discolouring on it. Possibly from the exhaust? It is quite heavy for such a small piece but I think that if that is what is supposed to be there, then of course, I will replace with the same.

Thanks

Shawn

I can't tell you what it is "supposed" to be, but I can tell you that my PA-12 top deck was crossed with .049" wall 3/4" tubing.

I'm not where the plane is so I can't check on the boot cowl, sorry.

Shawn said-

(I am also making a new boot cowl. The original had a stainless lower plate. Does anyone know if this is standard? I notice some heat discoloring on it. Possibly from the exhaust? It is quite heavy for such a small piece but I think that if that is what is supposed to be there, then of course, I will replace with the same.)

Shawn,

I have both a 12 and an 18 and if I were making a cowl I would copy the 18. The latch system from the 18 appears to be stainless and is popular with a lot of pipers. One neat feature of the late model 18 a quick drain tube that extends through the bottom cowl thus making oil changes quick and easy. I've also incorporated the new B & C oil filter adapter,it fits nice in that tight space.

Shawn, The lower plate you're refering to is standard on the 12, however if your exhaust doesn't exit there than you can make it out of aluminum if you want. You can also make it out of lighter stainless steel. (.020 or .025")

I too own a PA-12 with an 160hp. If I were building experimental and haven't decided on the engine/cowl I would incorporate a "swing/short cub style mount or a dynafocal mount and utilize a "PA18 cowl" firewall forward. Check for side clearance, however it should work as it is being done now by STC.

I would also build a balanced exhaust system, and if using a cross-over put and expansion joint in it.

Much would depend on whether you plan on now or in the future upping the horsepower to 180hp?

Tim

Back