• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Opinions,?? GCBC handling VS Cub

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I learned in a Cub, and have flown J-5s, PA-12s, PA-18s , J-3s and a couple of Huskeys. (did not think much of the Huskey).

I am thinking about changing my business around and start doing tailwheel sign-offs, beach landings, and some ski transition work again. Maybe floats too, the primary end of things is not exactly paying the bills.

Finding an inexpensive beater cub for dual instruction is not very likely to happen. I was thinking about a Citarbria , BUT, I only have a few hours in a modified GCBC and a few in a Scout. I never flew either on floats or skis.

So basically, I don't know if they are any good.
Or should I just forget it and do something else.

The 7ECA is a fairly inexpensive, honest airplane. No flaps and no 150 but a pretty good tailwheel trainer. I'd guess the insurance would be a bit cheaper than a PA-18 too.

Thanks for the response.
The couple of times that I flew Citabrias I thought they were a little stiffer on the controls, slower off the ground, and a little faster in cruise than a cub. But I was not sure if it was because of the prop or what.
I really like the cub trim system. That was my big complaint with the Husky. Not to mention that the nose was too heavy and the prop too expensive for bush flying.

citarbria

we operate 2 of them and do tailwheel transions work well the spring gear can cause a little problem with wheel landings but a good airplane a lot faster than any of the cubs DO not use the 8k 's the flat bottem wing is good for beginers the lamnar flow reguires higher air speeds on landing and that can cause trouble they are not or to say I would not teach off airport stuff the cubs are much better and the first a&p that tells you we gotta cut holes it the wing to inspect the spar say away from him he don't know what he's doing and you should assume the postion 12 years 8000 hrs training fine airplane for that perpose it will never be a pa18

I learned to fly in a Super Cub, have owned a champ, a 7gcbc, and now a Scout. Liked them all, one gripe I have with the 7 series is lack of a useful load with the plank spars. You cant hardly haul rice krispies to the boy scout in them legally. The Scout is much better at 2150 gross. With you and your student, you can only lug about 10 gals or so legally. On floats or skis they are even worse. I know an instructor who wont do BFR in a float equipped 7gcbc. The new alum spars wings have a much better gross, but those planes are still pretty spendy for a trainer.

Jim

As far as the spar AD I do not agree. If that wood spar has hit the ground you better look at the top of the splice plate at the strut attach fitting. I have seen them cracked on Champs< Citabrias and J-3s. All from hitting the ground. I use the kit from Rainbow. Easy to install and inspect. As for a Citabria I don't like the way they fly personally but you can take this one off my hands.

http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php

Click Aerobatic and then Citabria

Supercubber said:
For 80% of the people visiting this website they wouldn't be able to discern a difference between the 150 hp Super Cub or a 150 hp Citabria.

Kind of like comparing a Early Winchester lever action with a Marlin.

For the average pilot the Citabria 150 would be every bit as good as a cub along with saving him thousands of dollars in the initial purchase. 8)

I got my float rating in a 7GCGC. It is no where near as quick off the water as my Cub. Don't know what you are refering to but I have to respectfully disagree. I haven't flown a Scout but I see them operate and they are much closer to a Cub that the 7GCBC's.

For 80% of the people visiting this website they wouldn't be able to discern a difference between the 150 hp Super Cub or a 150 hp Citabria.

Kind of like comparing a Early Winchester lever action with a Marlin.

For the average pilot the Citabria 150 would be every bit as good as a cub along with saving him thousands of dollars in the initial purchase.

Mike

I asked Vern Kingsferd (of trail Mountian air) whey he uses cuds as trainers? His reply to me was people ask to be trained in cubs. When they start asking to be trained in Huskey or something else then he will buy Huskeys or something else.

I would recommend a nice J3 that has the electrical installed you can't hardly fly cheaper then that. Plus parts are pretty easy to come by.

Cub_Driver

A Champ is the best tailwheel trainer in my opinion. It has room, you solo from the front seat, they are not real expensive and most of all they teach you how to use your feet. It is definitely a rudder airplane.

I owned a 7ECA and a GCBC.
Majority of my tailwheel instruction was in them and not the cubs, I LOVED the ECA.
I'm cubbed now and would never change but I sure appreciate the ECA and GCBC and would recommend them to anyone.

Chris

I will never disagree on the quality of a Citabria I think they are good planes . I fly with a couple of them and have a good idea of there performance. A Citabria is a good solid honest aircraft.

If I was to have a tail dragger school in Alaska teaching people that came up from the lower 48 or from around Alaska I know buisness would be better if they knew I had a cub.

Were in Alaska up here the mystic is supercubs just like down there. If you had a choice would you rather get your tail wheel or float certification in a Citabria or a Super cub?

Cub_Driver

DA:

The problem with the price of Scouts is there arent many used, they were not that many built. I have seen a couple lately on TAP for 60K, once in awhile you can stumble on one for 48-50. Most of the ones I looked at while searching spent a lot of time hauling gliders and had the guts hauled out of them. I know of a modern one with alum spars, 1995 model with 800tt that I think could be bought for 82K or so.

Jim

I owned a 7KCAB (150hp) for several years and have about 800 hrs in Citabrias. Although I liked the plane and think it flys like a cub it is not a cub. Now that I have a cub im really in love however most people would not be able to tell them apart until they have several hours in both. The 7gcbc would be a great learning tool.

I started my tailwheel training in a Citabria with a 160hp engine, and gave up when I couldn't land the darned thing. Then I flew a J3 a couple of times, and had a much easier time (and a lot more fun). Finally got my tailwheel signoff in a 115hp Citabria, then a month later got the SC. You couldn't give me time in a Citabria any more.

Anne.

I've flown both, and got my initial training through PPL in a Citabria. Several of them, in fact - ECA GCAA and GCBC.

I have lots of time in the 7-Series, and only a little in a PA-15-150. The only thing as far as the *handling*, which is what the original post was asking about, would be wheel landings. The Citabrias have that dang spring gear, which translates to BOUNCE if you muff a wheelie. Cubs are a bit more forgiving in that area.

A GCBC with full flaps will tool around all day with the airspeed indicator off the bottom of the scale. You can even see over the nose.

The Citabrias, especially the GCBC, really suck for useful load, but make nice trainers. At least you can get into/out of them without any undue gyrations. The trim is simple, stick forces decent, rudder authority great and the stall (when properly rigged) is apparent, but not violent. Ground handling is nice, with good steering, and visibility. You can't fly with the door open, though. Unless you have someone in back, you can't even easily taxi with it open to keep cool. Most of the newer Citabrias have toe brakes, if you care for them. There's another thread here about that issue.

Jon B.

I just bought my first plane, a 7GCBC a year ago. I learned in a J3-65 and have time in 170s and all the other nose dragger Cessnas. The Super Cub was certainly in my sights when I was looking to purchase, but for the same initial cost you can get a 180/182/Maule. The citabria was half that and still takes me to all the short unimproved strips in the Idaho backcountry. The 150 hp gives good performance at high elevation with short ground runs. The aircraft does just fine with landing on rough unimproved vehicle tracks and landing on field borders at the family ranch, but I have not gone to the extreme of landing on untracked tundra that some likely do with their bush wheels and modified airframes/gear. But here's the kicker - when the weather's bad in the mountains, I just strap on the 'chute and have loads of fun getting inverted. :lol: I think the visibility is great and it sure feels roomier than the cub. However, as has been pointed out, It's not a cub.
This thread was started with the talk of flight school utilization, so in that respect:
All of the 7 series models are acrobatic - unusual attitudes, basic acro instruction.
The 7ECA (115/118hp, no flaps) has the same gross weight as the other 7 series, but has the most useful load - something to consider when wanting to stay legal with wide range of potential students.
7GCBC(150hp w/ flaps and greater wingspan) would be the choice for short field ops and floats, but LIKE THE CUB has considerations of legal weight limits with two (FULL size) passengers unless you have the gross weight increase with the metal spars.
Alex mentioned ski training. The 150hp models have the damn battery behind the baggage compartment which makes em more tail heavy than I feel it should be - sure makes it difficult to lift and manhandle the tail when required. You also mentioned control pressures - these are significantly improved with the aileron spades and feel well balanced.
The gear U-bolt that Dave talked about has a heavier duty replacement mod.
I would have to agree with Jim, there just don't seem to be the bargains available with the Scouts(180hp CS prop, non-acro) that there are with the 7 series.

This post kinda got to running. I used to have a 100 horse converted J-3 with a PA-11 cowl. It was a $21,000 airplane back then and it was totally rebuilt from the ground up. Then I had a basket case PA-18 built from wrecks and a J-5 that cost me $18K and I flew it for 500 hours before selling it for 14K due to a pending divorce.

If I only had a Time machine I would go back and tell myself not to sell them and also to keep all of those old Winchesters that I sold for $500 that are now worth $2500.

The problem with current cub prices puts me in a bind. I can be a two plane operation with something else or a one plane operation with a SC or 180.

One of my primary students went up to Anchorage yesterday to price Super-cubs since that is what he thinks he needs, now that he has 12 hours of total flying time. He called this morning with the price reports. Talk about crazy.

Of course when I had my cubs and thought I was Mr. Bush landing, I ran into a couple of guys OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NO-WHERE, who got there in planes that should have neevr been able to land.
One guy delighted in landing his 182 tricycle gear (with three big tires) on every gravel bar and beach that I went to. When I was stuck in clam digging mud, (tail wheel fell through) this guy lands his Cessna and calmly begins to dig clams while I collected drift wood and shoveled mud.

Lots of it is pilot skill. My little 150 horse converted C-150 gets off in 400 feet with two guys (when I fly it.) Half the guys around here don't get off in their cubs that fast because they don't try or don't know how.
Thats because they learned in Cessnas on paved strips and I learned in a PA-18 on gravel and snow with an old crop duster as an instructor.

Opinions, ?? GCBG VS Cub

While not as experienced as many of you, I have "a few thousand" landings in both Pa-!8 105, 150, 180; and 8GCBC, and a few hundred in 7GCBC, 7KCAB, and some other Champ variants.

I like 'em all.

Here's what I've observed on HANDLING, which was the presenting discussion: I think that Supercubs have the nicest balance among the three flight control forces. Even though they WILL stall well, and spin well, if angle of attack is OK they can do things that others cannot.

The 8GCBC, and to a great extent, 7GCBGC etc are about the same as a 'Cub in rudder (enough to handle sane crosswinds, and with luck, insane), heavier in roll (but acceptable), and lighter in pitch; the latter can lead to too-rapid flair, pitch excursions in chop, and Pilot Induced Oscillations, especially with the spring gear, and especially with the Scout, where the gear is much taller and stiffer, about like a C-185 gear, but with 2150 gross. Many taller people have trouble getting their heels into the 'Cub brakes, and stock expander tubes are somewhat ineffective and expensive, but I look brakes as a taxiing aid, and MAYBE a short-field aid, but speed/energy management is the key. With the powerful Cleveland toe brakes on most of the 7GC/8GC series, it's pretty easy to stick the prop (crank, case...), so training operations should look at that, too.

The 7GC series sit lower (flatter) to the ground than the PA-18. For a while, I tended to tailwheel in until I got my butt-clearance and pitch look dialed in. Therefore also, less prop clearance, and some risk of busting a prop/crank/case if it's really dropped in. The 8GCBC sits much higher than the stock 'Cub. I tended to tail-low wheel land until I got by butt-clearance and pitch look dialed in; I still prefer this mode in the Scout.

As mentioned, the 8GCBC gear is really stiff. My personal preference is to do a tail-low, 'back side of the wheels' landing, on the upwind wheel. The same force is spread over half the spring energy. These almost never bounce. Works fine in no-wind conditions, too.

As other posters have noted, the maingear attach fitting has been a problem: I'ver personally broken four, three from flying, and one by looking at it (some previous pilot had broken it....). The original was a bent threaded rod. Looks like a big stress riser on the sharp bend radius: Poor design. The factory retrofit was sort of a forging, slightly flattened. Broke one of those, too. The two "landing" breaks felt just about like a playful tap on my heel; some wouldn't have even noticed. In my opinion, the better setup is the Univair clamping assembly, haven't managed to break one of those yet. [In defense of my "vastly" superior flying skill, there were always lots of other pilots flying, at 5-6 landings per hour on a moderately rough field. This really helped hone my preflight skills. I've broken many tailsprings and aft-fuselage tubing runs by just looking at them....]

If anyone stumbles accross one of those guts-flown-out-of-it tugs at the right price let me know: Still can't afford a Supercub.

The other thing worth mentioning for people transitioning from type-to-type is that the Supercub carb heat and the 7/8GC elevator trim are the same motion and relatively the same position of the portside wall. Guess how I found that out (a couple times each way)! And yeah, for most purposes, I personally like the jackscrew trim on the 'cubs better, and it certainly handles the CofG extremes which one encounters on light tandem aircraft better than any other system.

Thanks for letting me ramble. Cubscout

Supercubber.....

Supercubber,
I agree that a Citabria is a good tail wheel trainer, ok? I wouldn't say that they don't have a mean bone in their body, however.

Mike

I'd say that, for primary training, there is nothing better than a J-3. It is lighter on the controls than a PA-18, seems to handle more crosswind, can be flown and soloed from either seat, and can be bought for under $25K if you know what you're doing.
I have to re-teach 150 drivers; they never learn coordinated turns! They all lean the wrong way in turns, and the instructor can't see them lean. Start your students in the front seat, and cure that immediately.
Super Cub is OK for training, but too expensive to buy and operate. Plus, they do not fly quite as well as a good J-3.
I love the Citabria, and own a Super Decath, and really love it! However, it is not nearly as good a trainer as the Cub, and the guy in the back really can't see too good. Get a metal spar Cub; they don't seem to cost more. Put a PS industries PM501 in to save hollering, and teach with the door open when the feds aren't looking.
Good luck!

Well if anyone knows of a nice J-3 or PA-11 type let me know.
I checked a couple of the internet sites and the prices forced me to type this from the bathroom.

Unfortunately we here in Alaska are so accustomed to having the screws put to us every time we buy something, that we tend to do the same thing when we sell something. Myself included, of course to a lesser degree being a swell guy and all.

Not so - check the type certificate. It depends on empty C/G. Hang a heavy metal prop on the Cub, and you may have to placard it "rear solo only" - otherwise, either seat is fine! Bought mine in 1962, and soloed from the front. Twenty hours later, I got a crop duster to ride in front while I learned the back. Darned guy covered the instruments! I didn't ask him to do that!
By the way, I have never detected any real performance difference with metal props on J-3's. Real difference is how much it hurts to start a metal prop from behind. If you park outside, keep that wood prop covered!

Back