• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O290 oil loss out the breather tube!

Redbowen

Oregon
So I'm looking to compare experience with Lycoming O290D oil consumption or should I say oil loss through the breather tube. Have any of you found that you loose more oil at certain RPM settings? I just flew 3.6 hours at a higher than typical cruise setting of around 2350RPM and saw 1qt of oil loss. Then went out and flew 1.5 at 2200RPM and saw no noticeable oil loss. Has anyone experienced a similar situation?

Did you top up that lost quart before the second flight?

How full was your oil before the first flight?

I did replace the 1 qt from the first flight prior to the 2nd. I usually run about 5qts, anything more and it spits it out.

Several years ago there was a PA-22 with a O-290 that

would "Dump" oil.

LOT's of it!

This would happen with a hot engine & over a certain RPM.

After a lot of attempts a Lyc Tech confidentially us the problem.

The Cam was too long.

This was not welcome info.

However; it was evident the problem began

after a MOH.

I understand the Cam was shortened & the problem went away.

The cam slings oil right at the breather port no doubt, I was just surprised by the difference in oil loss at higher RPM.

The "dump" I spoke of was far in excess of 1 qt in 3.6 hrs.

Accompanied by fluctuating Oil Pressure.

Maybe 1 qt per MINUTE!

It could be stopped by retarding the Throttle.

No big desire to find out what would happen

if allowed to continue.

I'm sure others have had different experiences with the 0-290, but years ago when I bought my first 12 with an 0-290, my instructor smiled and said, "get ready to wipe oil off the belly." When I asked why, he said the 0-290 was notorious for blowing oil out the breather given the placement of the breather port on the case. He was 80 at the time and had owned multiple Pacers with the 0-290. He loved the engine, but he wasn't wrong about the oil. Perhaps there are other explanations that might be more specific to your situation, but that was my experience. Loved the engine. Hated the mess. I could minimize the oil blowing by running it just below 6 quarts.

I'm not sure what mod you are referring to Glenn... but was thinking... can you not make a deflector in the breather fitting to stop the sling'd oil from going out the fitting / tube.

This works well. At 7 quarts...no mess on the belly. 8 quarts...mess. Install a vent slot near the exhaust.....just incase the breather freeze up at the end of the vent line.
88aade85b6e58c64841ed98910779fa4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red,
There probably is one that doesnt do this but just never met one! Seams to be part of the animal? Make sure the dipstick gasket is
Good? That will cause this problem as well, you might want to try tilting the end of the breather hose slightly forward down were it ends to create positive
Preasure, some O290 owners have had good luck reducing this problem with that. Others claim the placement of the tube itself as to how
It travels up before going rearward can effect the amount being blow out.......... 5qts seams about right from my experences with most of
Them i have run..... the position of the outlet in the case is just wrongly lined up with the outlet hole to the end of the cam............
Appearently there is a mod that can be done to them if you have the engine apart that directs the oil slung off the cam onto a added piece
So it isnt able to get into the outlet hole as easy??? Probably not legal if it works good, and corrects the problem......
I have owned two O290 engines that both were torn down shortly after Major OH for excessive blow by and in both cases the CAMS
Were replaced, so not sure if that is common problem of the wrong (longer cams) getting installed or not???
I am pretty sure Steve Pierce, commented on this subject a few years back on the short wing pipers site, can you shed light on this
Steve?
E

I have a O290 G/D in my Tu-holer. I usually run 5 qts but it still throws the typical amount of oil. I've been building an Acroduster 2 and have simply had to force myself to fly the last year, mostly .3-.4 hrs at a time just to get the oil up to temp. for 10-15 min. I got lazy about topping it off and found by accident that once it got down to 4 qts it seemed to stop and stayed at 4 qts. for the last 6 hours.

Whatever, if you don't clean the belly, they lube the Tail wheel pretty well8)

Might not want to start x-c @ 4 qts. but for short local flights it seems to work well for me.

Jack

Last edited:
When I bought my cub, the previous owner said that it had been puking more oil than usual for the past 50-75 hours, tore engine down and found a broken ring. Cam was also shot. The engine had been making metal for several months, but not a terrible amount. The guy that rebuilt the motor for me told me that he fills 0-290's 1/2 quart short of full. He said they usually just puke the first 1/2 quart out anyway.

Had an 0-290 in the -12 when I first got it....pretty ragged out, but what I found after several months of aggressive flying was that my particular engine would simply not keep more than 5.5 quarts in it: touch & go's, "fast" cross-country, aggressive maneuvering, gentle maneuvering, didn't matter. 5.5 quarts.

Changed the engine after a bit so I never looked to see if there was a mechanical issue: it passed 3? 4? annuals/compression checks and at least one oil analysis w/o problems. Bottom line is that it would simply not go below 5.5 quarts except as would be expected over lots of hours and wouldn't stay above 5.5 quarts for more than 1 hour IIRC.

Sounds like it is a very common characteristic of the O290 series. Thanks for the responses. 5qts is my sweet spot too.

Back