• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Super Cub is home!!!

Sam Beckett

Hometown USA!
Heya All,
Well, as most of you know I sold Ole 1065A a few weeks ago on Ebay!
I loved her but I kept looking at others as I was not 100% happy as I wanted the large engine (150HP) Bigger tires, scott wheel and you know all the fun stuff.
So I found my self a super nice 1994 model Super Cub that had been used as Microaerodynamics poster child for vortex generators. She has everything, 150hp, borer prop, 3 inch extended gear, Oregon Aero Seats and I mean eveything!!! Oh yea she flies like a dream and taxi's like a Cad! This airplane just turned over 210hrs TTAF flying home yesterday!
So my question is with a 150hp engine and the 84" McCauly borer prop..What should I be showing on my tach at cruise..It almost seems when I throttle back to 2300 she is just going way too slow! Tach wise..
Suggestions...?????

Sam :lol:

150hp, 8241 Borer prop. with all the other options you mentioned.....95 mph @ 2500 rpm.

Sam Beckett said:
So my question is with a 150hp engine and the 84" McCauly borer prop..What should I be showing on my tach at cruise..It almost seems when I throttle back to 2300 she is just going way too slow! Tach wise..

Sam :lol:

I assume you mean 82" prop!! If its 84, you might not want to tell anybody you are using it! Welcome to the world of borer props and big tires. They are for creating more revenue ( more flight time) not going somewhere fast.

Are you and Dave having a contest to see who can have the lowest time SC there in Calif?

.oo2$

Sam it could be your tach is off but it could also be that your just not used to a borer prop, they are way smoother than the short props. Also if it is a borer prop it should be 82" by 41 to 44 pitch.
Dave

Sam, I think you should bring it to Texas and let me work out all the bugs. Shouldn't take more than 6 months or so. :eek:

Congratulations Sam, We are looking forward to seeing your new Cub... Hey, why don't we go race the pylons in Reno. By the way, I see you already made the SuperCub.org calendar.

Re: Yeppers...

Sounds like a real nice "Piper original" Super Cub. With my O-320 I used to always cruise at 2400 or 2450. Every engine will have a smooth spot that they like to be run at. Don't get me wrong, 2300 might be the spot. The plane will also feel "off step" if you get the airspeed too slow in cruise and you just mush along. Congratulations on your new Cub. Crash

Congratulation! I run my O 320 with 82/42 around 2450 on floats, skis or wheels, it cruise near 100 m/h and is the smoothest engine rpm, vibrationless and fastest.
HI
Jacques

Sam:

O-320, Borer prop, 3" extended, 8.50 tires, I cruise at 2450 and generally get 95 MPH.

375handh

Back