• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Luscombe 8E/F - 850s

Hi all,

Anyone in here have, or ever have, a Luscombe 8E or 8F on 8.50x6 tires? TCDS only shows 6.00x6 and googling isn't finding me an STC for 8.50s. Anyone aware of one? Or would it need to be a field approval.

Currently have a TriPacer, but looking to make the change to a taildragger and have been looking at Cessna 120/140s and the Luscombe 8E/8Fs. I am in southern New England and (unfortunately due to hangar availability and pricing) parked outside, so the metal (at least mostly in some cases) construction on these appeals to me, as does the side-by-side seating.

Drew
PA22-150 (DXR)

Convert to a Pacer. Better airplane, and you can use big tires.
Modern fabric can last quite a while outside. Corrosion of metal parts is your big worry, and an aluminum airplane will not be happy in the elements.

Drew, I’ve parked both fabric and metal airplanes outdoors for years, in Alaska. Sun exposure is a bigger deal on fabric, though sunlight will dull paint on a metal plane as well.

I seriously doubt there is an STC for 8.50 tires on a Luscombe, or a Cessna 120/140, for that matter. Depending on your mechanic and yourFSDO, it MAY be possible to field approve them.

Frankly, those planes are so light that smaller tires might do what you need.

or, of course, there’s the old “Don’t ask, don’t tell” approach. That may work till it’s time for an annual.

But, frankly, if what you’re doing is grass strips, smaller tires may serve well. Or buy a set of Alaska Bushwheels 26 inch Airstreaks, Check their web site they may be STCd.

MTV

But

The Luscombe will go in an out of places a 120 or 140 could only dream about.

Glenn

Thatd be my first choice as well, but that narrow gear will test your skill in a crosswind. Besides being one of the prettiest little planes ever built……

MTV

Drew,
I tied my Pacer pa22-20 along the fence at Reliant for 10 years. I kept a good coat of wax on it and flew it regularly. Can't remember where I pulled power from but I was sure to preheat when necessary. A converted pacer is a great choice, you are already familiar with the necessary maintenance and it's quirks. Find a good instructor for your transition (Eric Stanley at Curtiss?) and stay ahead of it. Treat is as a two place airplane with great storage. Comparatively small money and low operating costs. Good luck, Glenn

Back