• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Long Step Information

long step information

thanks for the info. ill have to call stoddards and get one. im hoping there not the kind that wants to make an additional 20 off postage and handling like the majority of these places

Hey Tim,

I know you won't mind, but regarding the giving and taking of FLAK...
Well, I know it is off the subject but, "FLAK", is what is given or taken (Don't give me no Flak on this post either!), but FLACK is my last name. I have seen other posts with this incorrect spelling used and am Petrified that my name is now available on this website.
Anyway, reference to copying of Atlee's stuff, I think MD has a good point, but so does Cuby...Certified parts have their place on Certified Aircraft, and somebody's personal creation has it's place on Experimental Aircraft. In Diggler's opinion F. Atlee is an a..hole, and in Atlee's opinion, F. Atlee is God's gift to Cubs. These are just opinions, what must be noted is that Mr. Dodge has made many HUGE and timely contributions impacting Cubs, and although that is MY opinion, I believe most SuperCub pilots would agree. Everything is not without its flaws, but if you don't like the flawed parts, just don't buy them or design your own. Then take the Flak when your certified part breaks...
Either way, my last name is not to be taken anymore in Vain... :D
Andy Flack

Andy did you inspire the Aflack commercials?? (couldn't resist) I laugh and think of you everytime I see that duck!

Webster
Main Entry: flak
Pronunciation: 'flak
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural flak
Etymology: German, from Fliegerabwehrkanonen, from Flieger flyer + Abwehr defense + Kanonen cannons
Date: 1938

Take care,

Tim

My point is that the above thread discribes exactly how to copy Atlees product. I just don't think this web site should be a depository for that info, but rather a place that promotes the use of the good products we still have available for our planes. We desperately need these suppliers to continue to keep these old planes flying. (But that is just my opinion.) I have no problem with experimenting when it is in the true spirit of experimenting. And as Charles pointed out, it's cheaper to just buy Atlees step. And I suppose my perspective is different, because to me, fabricating, fitting and painting is work. While you guys are farting around in the shop trying to save a few penneys, I'd rather bolt a step on and spend my time flying.

I edited my post containing the long step dimensions.

It's definitely time to move on from this topic.

Dave.

David M. Calkins said:
I edited my post containing the long step dimensions.

It's definitely time to move on from this topic.

Dave.

Bravo...

Heck MD,

When I find myself having trouble sleeping, I just throw a 5 gallon bucket under the tailwheel, stretch out my sleeping pad and bag in the baggage compartment and crawl in! the gentle breeze blowing through the cracks, the residual smell of cub exhaust/oil, the occasional wiff of fish (not quite cleanup to profection, the view of the scratches on the headliner from the last hurried packing of the cub in the rain,

Before I know it I am fast asleep! Dreaming of the next trip to places like New Holstein, OSK, AK, John Day and Canada. (even a thought of flying the Florida Coast with Matt, pops into my Head!

Sleep tight!

Tim

PA12driver said:
Heck MD,

When I find myself having trouble sleeping, I just throw a 5 gallon bucket under the tailwheel, stretch out my sleeping pad and bag in the baggage compartment and crawl in! the gentle breeze blowing through the cracks, the residual smell of cub exhaust/oil, the occasional wiff of fish (not quite cleanup to profection, the view of the scratches on the headliner from the last hurried packing of the cub in the rain,

Before I know it I am fast asleep! Dreaming of the next trip to places like New Holstein, OSK, AK, John Day and Canada. (even a thought of flying the Florida Coast with Matt, pops into my Head!

Sleep tight!

Tim

That's Brother Tim for ya... Always the romantic...

reminds me of the time I got stuck on a sand bar. Dug for two hrs. and still couldn't get it out. Got dark and I figured my buddies would come looking for me the next day. Crawled in the back and heard the water running, crickets chirping and the pump jacks in the distance kicking on and off. Finally heard an airplane overhead. Turned on the nav lights and the radio. Was one of my buddys. He told my brother to call off the other thing. "I said what other thing?" He said they called the sheriff. Man I packed sand around that tire and lifted on that strut. After about ten times I got it high enough to taxi oot and took off in the dark. I knew when it got dark that I was coming up on the water and pulled up. Got to the airport and found I had bent my strut and severally pissed some people off. They thought I was in a high line somewhere. Anyway, I don't like sleeping in my plane.

long step information

has anyone tried welding bushings on the gear for the step instead of using the umpco clamps, will it weaken the gear, i would think that it would make for a lot solider base, exp cub.

F Atlee Dodge Step

I guess this thread somehow got resurrected. A couple things to consider when dealing with Atlee. He's been at it a long time and knows cubs about as well as anyone. He's old school, works off the honor system.(or used to until so many of his creations were ripped off) He once sent me a new lower shock strut to replace the one I bent, (on a chunk of pack ice off Kotzebue) no money was needed, he went over after work to send it up on the first flight available. All he said was send me a check when you get the chance. Until you are broke down in the Arctic, you have no idea how nice that kind of service is. He's an old WWII bomber pilot. I'll allow him an outburst or two of Dodge temper. I figure he's earned it ........

Back