• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing/ Taxi/ Wing-Wag Design for a Javron- looking for suggestions

acroeric

SPONSOR
Burlington, NC
I'm almost done with my avionics install and it's time to plan out my landing and taxi lighting situation. I have a L-21 Javron wide body Cub with provisions for lights in each leading edge. I think that I want landing and taxi lights with the ability to Wing-Wag for visibility when in crowded areas. The airplane will live on my 1000' grass strip that has no lighting. I need to be able to light up the surrounding area when I am in remote areas and tone it down so I play nice at the local airport.

I'm open to suggestions and would love to hear experiences of others.

These caught my eye and but I have never seen them in person. . . .https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Tail-Dragger-Max/p/525013557/category=0
I'd combine them with their switch so I'd have a low setting, taxi only, and wing-wag.

I'm also open to keeping the wings clean and mounting lights to the cabane V.

I also have been looking at options for landing/taxi/recognition lights for a Javron. I was looking at those lights as well, but was a bit put off by the current draw. If you get both on you're looking at 16 amps just for the lights. Not sure what that does to your alternator choice. Their Combo light is only 4 amps per light - so 8 total, which might be an option. Bill Rusk seems to have had good luck with the Baja Squadron lights that have both a flood and spot beam built in. He can probably say what other lights he's looked at.

I'm curious what other people have done. My wings are currently clean, but the wide wigwag is pretty attractive for recognition.

In my opinion...... put the lights in the wing and as far apart as possible. Certainly wig wag. I like to use this switch. It has the wig wag feature built in. It is light and simple.

https://periheliondesign.com/product/wwd-electronic-module/

Now....build for what you will do 90% of the time. How often do you HONESTLY think you will fly at night?. I have flown my cub after dark twice in 1500 hours. I do not have a "Taxi" light set up because it is never used. My landing lights are set up on the waterline of the aircraft to maximize inflight recognition/visibility. They can wig-wag (used 99% of the time) or be steady on the EXTREMELY RARE occasion that I land after dark. Single engine, at night, over the mountains is just not for me. YMMV

Just a couple of thoughts. Also I used Baha designs landing lights. Info in my thread here. https://www.supercub.org/forum/show...g-a-Javron-Cub&p=686226&viewfull=1#post686226

Also be aware that some of the high lumen LED lights will drop to a lower value based on the heat. So you think you are getting bright lights but you won't get that value unless you provide cooling air to the lights. Just something to consider. Also look at the amp requirements. If you are going with an accessory drive type alternator, it may not have enough output to drive those Binford 5000 lights.

Hope this helps

Bill

I am rebuilding my EAB ‘86 SC with Kunzleman position lights and strobes in the wing tips. Whelen lights in the wings with their wig-wag box, and Whelen taxi and landing lights in the nose bowl.

All good points to consider. I am running a Monkworkx 30A accessory drive generator with a 900 Ah Earth-X battery. I'll have to pay attention to heat dissipation and current draw for sure. My ELA so far shows plenty of capacity unless I am running the heated seat aft that my wife wants!

As for flying at night. . . I do a bit. Not a large portion of the time but probably 5-10%. With work trips sometimes it means sleeping in a hotel another night or my own bed so that is an easy decision!

Had a nice surprise when I looked at the wing landing light areas to measure. They already have a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro LED's installed. The gentleman I bought the kit from did me a huge favor!

Back