• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I want to fly a super cub! Washington state

REV429

Snohomish Wa
First off I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread forgive me if I'm not, this is my first post. Anyways a couple years back i went flying in minnesota with my friend Rick Deblack who's is also a member on this site. We flew his dads cessna on floats up to a lake in canada that they had a cabin on, that was my first experience in a small plane as well as a memorable one and have kind of been obsessed with the idea of becoming a bush pilot ever since. Now rick has a super cub and last winter he took me up for a flight while i was in town and now of course I'm totally set on getting a super cub of my own and learning how to fly. I just enrolled in the cessna flight training program at my local airfield (harvey field s43) and had my first lesson last tuesday.

What my question is does anyone know of a private instructor in washington state that would be willing to help me obtain my private pilot license out of a super cub? I possibly might have the ability to finance my own plane if there isn't an instructor willing to train out of their plane. Is this a reasonable idea? Or do i just need to learn at my local airfield out of there cessna 172 and then once i get my private license just get a cub and get my tail dragger endorsement? Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Jordan

There must be a Supercub instructor in your area, Talk to John Carson who flys cubs out of Harvey field pulling banners (skysigns) I think is his business. I bought a cub from him 25 years ago or so. He should know of a instructor. If your sure this is for you and your going to dedicate the time and money to it then buy your own plane and learn to fly in it. I borrowed money against my cows to buy my first Supercub in 1984.
Dave

I'm not sure of the cost, but financing a supercub and having to buy hull insurance with no experience in that type aircraft....you might want to call around and see if that is a wee bit cost prohibitive....that being said, buying a cheaper taildragger and spending the time to get that experience......might be another way to go....

Harvey field has a champ that you can learn on as well. I would learn how to fly that right off the bat, just stick to tail draggers. There are some instructers in the area. Pain Field also has one or two cubs for training I have heard.

Bill Ingerson

Another option is to learn to fly on floats first. I did and never got a wheel rating. Kenmore Air has two Supercubs and they are a great bunch!
Jim

Hi Jordan,

There is nobody doing private PPL training in the Seattle area that rents out a Supercub. You can fly the Champ at Harvy's or go to Arlington or Paine Field to fly a J3 for PPL training. I can put you in touch with 2 Supercub guys out of Harvy field that could give you cub rides. If I was still on that side of the mountains I would gladly take you for a ride. You're welcome to come over to Cashmere and do some cub flying with me if you like.

Jason

I'm not sure of the cost, but financing a supercub and having to buy hull insurance with no experience in that type aircraft....you might want to call around and see if that is a wee bit cost prohibitive....that being said, buying a cheaper taildragger and spending the time to get that experience......might be another way to go....
Insurance is not that bad, I did it with zero time. The secret is to name the instructor on the policy that way during instruction they are insuring him not you. They will prohibit other instruction but it is doable. I'm now approaching 1000 hrs and I save maybe 1500-1800 per year from my original coverage and it will help if you don't try to do it with a 150k cub. If you're serious I used the EAA (same agent but AOPA policy was usless) coverage through Falcon.

Last edited:
[h=5]thanks for all the input guys it is very much appreciated! jgerard id love to take you up on that offer the more time I can get in a cub the better![/h]

First off I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread forgive me if I'm not, this is my first post. Anyways a couple years back i went flying in minnesota with my friend Rick Deblack who's is also a member on this site. We flew his dads cessna on floats up to a lake in canada that they had a cabin on, that was my first experience in a small plane as well as a memorable one and have kind of been obsessed with the idea of becoming a bush pilot ever since. Now rick has a super cub and last winter he took me up for a flight while i was in town and now of course I'm totally set on getting a super cub of my own and learning how to fly. I just enrolled in the cessna flight training program at my local airfield (harvey field s43) and had my first lesson last tuesday.

What my question is does anyone know of a private instructor in washington state that would be willing to help me obtain my private pilot license out of a super cub? I possibly might have the ability to finance my own plane if there isn't an instructor willing to train out of their plane. Is this a reasonable idea? Or do i just need to learn at my local airfield out of there cessna 172 and then once i get my private license just get a cub and get my tail dragger endorsement? Any help, suggestions, or ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Jordan

Off-topic . . . Harvey has a special place in my heart. It's where we did most of the flight testing for the Super 18! :) I was out in Seattle for my birthday last year and we made a special trip to Harvey to visit. It is a special place and it's good to see someone learning there!

For what it's worth, I got my license in a J3 which was quite reasonable compared to the 152s and 172s elsewhere. It is great experience to start in a tailwheel airplane, so if you can do it, by all means go for it. The nice thing is, once you get your license in a taildragger, you will have most of the required tailwheel hours to be insured for your own airplane later. However, it's not a big process to get an endorsement, so if it will be faster to learn in the 172, it's a good option to get you flying sooner. Of course, if you are set on learning in a tailwheel airplane (I was), then it will be worth the additional effort if the airport is farther away, instructor has less availability, etc.

If you are looking to buy an airplane, search this site for J3 and PA-11 information as well. You can learn in one and trade up to a different model later (a Super Cub might be a bit much to start in, but if you find a good one, why not?). The Cub market is relatively stable so you could find a decent J3/PA-11 for a lot less, learn in it, and then move on to a Super Cub after getting your license. It frees up some money for gas and those pesky instructors :roll: Define what you want to do. Definitely take Jason up on the ride ;)

I started renting when I first was getting my PPL but after a couple of hours I knew I was going to buy a plane so I bought my first plane and obtained my license in it. It has many benefits. You fly whenever you want and the basic cost is fuel. Of course there are other things such as insurance, instructor, etc. but if you plan on flying much owning is much better than renting. The biggest PITA when learning at a bigger airport is scheduling. When you have your own, if the instructor is available you can go. ANd once you've soloed is when it will make a better option as far as the scheduling goes. You have the time....go flying!
Also, as a few other have said, don't discount the J-3, PA-11, or Champ as a first plane. Much cheaper to fly and own, plus I feel they may even teach you a little more as they are underpowered compared to the Super Cub. Besides, you can pick up one of these on floats, and wheels, skis for less than half of what a SC will cost. I was so convinced I needed a Super Cub and had looked quite hard for a couple of years for the right deal. A fellow poster on hear sent me a PM discussing a Champ he had for sale and to not discount a modified Champ. He was honest and seemed to state some very good points about the Champ so I ended up going to look at it and bought it. Never sorry for the choice and glad he opened my mind up to different options. The plane, (albiet heavily modified), will do everything "I" wanted or had planned to do with a Super Cub. I got it with wheels and floats for about a third of what I would have paid for a SC on floats. Granted it won't get off quite as short or haul as much but it does all I want.
Good Luck and welcome to the world of flying!
Keith

There's a J3 and instructor at Thun Field. The people that own Spencer Aircraft handle it. Could be a couple of SuperCubs guys hanging around there as well.

Jordan,

Congratulations on becoming an active member of Supercub.org I'm really happy to see you've taken some great first steps in becoming a cub pilot! You can learn something from everyone, and many people on this site have extensive knowledge so don't hesitate to ask questions. You'll find the search tool very helpful as many of the topics have already been gone over, but sometimes we all don't mind re-visiting an old subject as talking about things is always a great refresher and Steve E. always finds something new and hilarious to add. It sounds like Harvey Field has some good things going on. You can always call me with any questions you may have and the front seat is all yours next time your in MN. Having raced motocross with you I'm confident handeling the machinery won't be the problem. In my humble opinion you should start with the books and knock the written test out of the way FIRST THING. From there it's all flying and fun. It's far more expensive to learn in the air. If harvey field has a little hp champ I would suggest that, which will really give you an appreciation for a 150+hp Supercub when you purchase one.

Having such a positive attitude and friendly personality I don't imagine it'll take you long to make a few friends here and most of us are more than happy to share a seat with a genuinely interested student. I wish you the best of luck! Remember a good pilot knows his limitations and stays within them. This isn't motocross anymore, it's more addicting, expensive, rewarding, with far less broken bones and risk. Just STAY OUT OF THE WEATHER!

WELCOME ABOARD!

Last edited:
Back