• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How much airspeed does a person lose with tundra tires?

I just recently went from the 26" Goodyears to the 31" AK bushwheels in preparation for my Alaska trip. I was pleasantly surprised.... I think I lost 1 mph maybe! It was negligable.

I certainly lost the most airspeed shortly after I got the plane when I went from the stock little tires to the 26" GY, maybe 10 mph (from ~ 110 mph airspeed to 100 mph airspeed). But I also added the VG's at the same time, I probably lost a little there too.

bprevost12 said:
the 26, 29 , 31 i have 850*6 right now. i'm afriad if i put some tundra tires on I lose some airspeed?

What you loose in airspeed you gain in status.

Anyway...who buy's a supercub to go fast?

Jerry

What you loose in airspeed you gain in status.

Now that's good!!

I think I'm going to paint that on my cowling

Of course you would then need to go to a climb prop to make the extra AOA from the 31s worthwhile. Then things slow down. My old beater S.C. with 31s and an 82x42 prop was doing good at 80-85mph.
But she jumped off sand bars pretty fast.

SJ explains it so well.
When I owned a Comanche I spent a fortune with Knots2U to go fast!!!
Now I own a Super Cub and I spend money to go and land slower!!!
Who Knew
John

I know what youre saying john. Before going on these cub sites my cub did about 108 mph.After reading about all these great mods and listening to thes guys i cruise about 90 mph.

Christine,
31" Bush Tires, VG's, Borer Prop. 82/43 and a Thustline Mod can achieve 42MPH and land in 200'. Lands before you hit the quonset at Trinca and Cruises at 90MPH. All for the cost of approx. $9,000.00 Who knew that flying the Comanche in the knot world at 165KTS at 15GPH was so different from Flying Miss Daisy. However this last year while flying home from Millinocket to Pembroke the fog closed in around Portland south and I turned around and in 30 miles landed in my buddies farm field in China in 800' Something you cannot do in a Comanche.
John

Flying Miss Daisy said:
Christine,
31" Bush Tires, VG's, Borer Prop. 82/43 and a Thustline Mod can achieve 42MPH and land in 200'. Lands before you hit the quonset at Trinca and Cruises at 90MPH. All for the cost of approx. $9,000.00 Who knew that flying the Comanche in the knot world at 165KTS at 15GPH was so different from Flying Miss Daisy. However this last year while flying home from Millinocket to Pembroke the fog closed in around Portland south and I turned around and in 30 miles landed in my buddies farm field in China in 800' Something you cannot do in a Comanche.
John

The quonset at Trinca is a lot more than 200'.... ;-) Mine has a 82/42 Borer and stalls power-off at ~ 33 mph full gross [Damian is my witness ;-) ].... Cruise at ~ 98 mph.

You have it all!!! ask Damian about November flaring in the Corn field at Trinca and landing Miss Daisy atop the berm of weeds and grass that separates from the approach end at Trinca. He counted it at 150' with an assist on the brakes. John

Are you saying it's 150' to the quonset???? I'd estimate 250' at least, but I'm sure Damian has it all measured out. BTW, I just banged the berm the other week.... good thing I have that new gear on. ;-)

Christina,
I believe he calls it 300' to the Quonset. Thant berm must have plenty of PA18 Scars. J

I love my cub! but my most enjoyment is in the pitts s2b! 180 mph pulling a 6 g pull to the vertical is better for me then landing in 200 feet. anyday
but it's preeety close! : close to wow wee factor though in the cub

airspeed lost with tundra tires

Cubcrafters (pre cert), extended wings, vg's, extd gear, cables, climb prop, belly pod...26 Goodyears to 31 ABW's, lost 1-2 mph, but really helped landing...full stall 2 point, about 1 ft tail high, not sure of exact speed because I am going by feel at that point...cruise 98 mph at 2600 w. 44 gal and 300lbs.

Aren't 8:50's big enough?

My Smith Kit Cub cruises around 116mph with 8:50's. I hate to screw up its cruise speed by going to larger tires. Aren't the 8:50's big enough?

Mike

BIG ENOUGH :bad-words: :bad-words: :bad-words:

Thems fighting words in this place!!!!!!!

Still trying to get a set approved like TJ's! 8)

Seriously, depends on what and where you use the plane. For me, mostly I could use the 8:50s, but when I touch that one rock.......

So thoes of you changing tires, especialy on the big engines, how does it affect your fuel burn? I used to lose 5 mph between airstreaks and floats, but used 20% more fuel to do it. Same RPM, just took more throttle to get there.

Back