• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Homebuilt wings, bolts and stuff!

canadiancubber

Howdy folks,

After flying on of my buddies Pa-17 homebuilt, with flaps(trip pacer wings i think) a 125 HP 0-290 D lycoming, i have purchased a pa-17 fuselage (complete) and i have the following question about the new "Quest" i have coming up for the next few years...

Is it possible to purchase a kit that includes all the hardware for an aircraft (bolts and so on)?? if you guys know of a place where i could find this, i would love it.

i am thinking of buying a run out 0-290 D and overhauling it. The only thing i was thinking about putting different on my project than on my friends, is putting maybe wing extension with droop tips on those pacer or trip pacer wings, or maybe just droop tips. I dont know... im kinda stuck on this one!

I am waiting for some opinions!

Cheers!

Fred

Fred,
since you asked for opinions, I will give you mine............don't do the drooped wingtips. I don't know if it will help performance, but it sure messes up the looks of a short-wing Piper. Even worse on a long-wing. Just my opinion.
:Gcloppy:

Fred,

Price out the overhaul for the two ninty and then add the purchase price. then compare it to other options. You might go another route.

Fred,

Price out the overhaul for the two ninty and then add the purchase price. then compare it to other options. You might go another route.

FortysixTwelve,

I will be overhauling the engin with my ex-boss, so basically, it will not be costing me any time (labour). I know the parts on the 290 are expensvie, bit it is a great engine, in my knowledge.

thanks, and keep those messages coming!!!

cheers

Fred

Fred, you could purchase and overhaul an 0-320 cheaper, don't you think?

With all the guys going up to 180HP, it's been pretty easy to find an 0-320 mid-time, and cheap.

I know of one right now that was running last summer and the going price is for 4K USD.

..my opinion.

good luck, either way you go! DAVE

wings, Bolts, Etc

Any more details on that Vagabond you flew. Sounds like something I have been thinking about.

Mister grimm,

I tell you, that wag-a-bond is real bullet! Its got Pa-22 wings, with flaps, 125 Horse power and the thing just wants to fly. Realll bad! Last time I went up with it, it was -10 degrees celsius, no winds and sunny, I was full fuel (36 gallons), i was alone and i weight 190 pounds. She was climbing 1800 feet per minute, and i was easylly getting 120 mph cruise 2450 RPM. I think its a real good plane, but ive been having second toughts about it. Im too much of a cub lover to go to a side by side and quite honestly, i think thats the only think that bugs me about this plane. I love tandem seating...

Now i might be thinking of putting a 0-235 L2C in the cubby and closing it up pa11 style... but that wagabond sure is a real bomb!

Cheers!

Fred

A friend of mine reportedly just spent $20K overhauling his O-290-D2. I'm sure that it was done to "new" specifications, but think the money might have been better spent on an O-320

If your cylinder cores are junk you can figure on $1200 for rebuilt ones. $200 for piston pins etc. Spent over $10,500 on parts and machine work.

You can do things with your sweetie in a side by side you can't do in a tandem. :eek:
That's why I have both.

Back