• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HELP....VG's mounted wrong then paint gets PULLED OFF!!

Sam Beckett

Hometown USA!
Dilema,
Hi All long time no talk to..
But I suppose shadows never speak....
So someone who is doing work on my plane puts VG's on as I asked..
Shop guy puts the VG's on with the wrong template..Runs out of VG's..PUTS ALL VG's on ONE wing! Orders another set to put a full single set on the other wing...Thinking if one set is good 2 sets are GREAT!
Thats right! TOO MANY NOT GOOD! Very counter productive..
Shop owner pulls VG's relizing this is not good..
Off comes the paint...down to the fabric...Now we have removed VG's Tracks across the wing... :cry: That what happens when friends work on friends airplanes..... :roll:
Now what....????
Shop owner tell me he will sand down and re-tape and paint..I am saying no...Now do we recover one wing?? Both wings as the new paint will never match...BIG Screw UP! Not sure what direction to take.....???
So now that you know my dilemma I need suggestions in a fix...???
Weight differentials in painting one wing?
Tapeing over?????
Filling???
S_ _ T!

Sam

8)

Take some photos but I do not think a recover is necessary from what you say. Too bad but I'd do the body work, Mask the entire wing off leaving the leading edge metal and make your repair. It will be all right.Call Jim and Dondy and get Jim's opinion.

This isn't a dilemma, it's an inconvenience. Repair the paint, get an A&P who can follow directions and install the VG's correctly.

Depends on allot of factors, 1st how old is the covering and paint, what type do you have? If its dope, no big deal, if its poly fiber a little harder but not bad, if is an old enamel alot harder, not experienced enough with superflight or stewarts. If its dope drop me a pm and I will let you know how to do it cheap and look great.

Terry

Just paint the leading edge a different color like black to melt the ice, not sure what climate you live inn. Your lucky, when i had a knucklehead on the north slope fuel mine he snagged a vg and pulled it off all the way to the metal. relax it is an airplane.

John
You are one of the reasons I do not get on this site any longer....

2 Definitions you should be aware of...

air·plane (ârpln)
n.
Any of various winged vehicles capable of flight, generally heavier than air and driven by jet engines or propellers.

Ignorance
n

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Sam

8)

Sam Beckett said:
John

exept when you need help from an exceptionally talented and gifted group of pilots.

Sam Beckett said:
John

2 Definitions you should be aware of...

air·plane (ârpln)
n.
Any of various winged vehicles capable of flight, generally heavier than air and driven by jet engines or propellers.

Ignorance
n

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Sam

8)

Soooooo What are the other reasons?

Welcome home, Sammy.....

I would let the genius mekanik you have fix your problamo :drinking: :drinking:

Sam you are much too sensitive :lol: I have never met an aiplane I didn't like :D WELLLLL Maybe 1 or 2 8)

Sam.
I'd rethink the paint scheme: I'd come up the LE wrap with a contrasting color, "swooping" it down to the wingtips. This would nicely cover any repair work needed in the area where the VG's should go, no way would I even consider a recover, but that's me.
Be aware the MicroAerodynamic's stencil (if that is what you're using) can be a problem in removing, depending on your type of paint. I will attest that if it's Forest Green Polytone (Polyfiber/Stits) you want that stencil on there as short a time as possible, otherwise you'll be scrubing off stencil residue, which can stick better then the damn Poly-Tone! I have the spec's on your optimum VG location for your bird if needed, PM me.

courierguy said:
can be a problem in removing, depending on your type of paint. I will attest that if it's ...... Polytone......

was the paint freshly applied and still out-gassing its solvents?

I had that joy many years ago on a 172 of ours I painted, when hanger got to cold during painting(had to shut heaters off whilst painting to keep from blowing up.....) and that stuff just never cured right(but boy did it flow out nice), and the big N-Number stencils bonded right into that fresh paint when applied day or two later.. ended up stripping both side in that area, and tape left tracks, and clear coating whole fuselage

mike mcs repair said:
courierguy said:
can be a problem in removing, depending on your type of paint. I will attest that if it's ...... Polytone......

was the paint freshly applied and still out-gassing its solvents?

I had that joy many years ago on a 172 of ours I painted, when hanger got to cold during painting(had to shut heaters off whilst painting to keep from blowing up.....) and that stuff just never cured right(but boy did it flow out nice), and the big N-Number stencils bonded right into that fresh paint when applied day or two later.. ended up stripping both side in that area, and tape left tracks, and clear coating whole fuselage

No, the Poly-tone had been cured for a month at least, maybe two. The reason I mentioned the color, was a previous plane with Poly-tone (Hickory Brown) on the LE had No problem with the stencil adhesive. It could have been a bad run of the stencil, or maybe they changed the recipe for the adhesive. Whatever it was I let Micro know they ought to put a headsup in the instructions about it, luckily I'm not real anal about appearances, I can laugh about it now but it was not so funny at the time!

Back