• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

heater control jammed

sibercub

I just got my PA-18 annualed and now notice the heater control is jammed in the off position. It worked fine before the annual. Anyone have any ideas on this problem as my mechanic is out of town and I'm going to try to fix it myself.

Sibercub....if it's stuck...check the cable by removing the cable end from the heater box. Then, if the cable moves easy..then check the heater box door. I just cleaned mine and it had so much crusty crap in the bottom of the heater box that my door was only closing half way. Mark

If you'll look in your heat box, you'll probably find that you've won a shiny, new Snap-on tool of some sort. The up-front thing to do would be to give it back to your under-paid mechanic, or ransom it for a frosty beverage . . .
:cheers

Push/pull cables, if just a little too long, will develop a bow in the cable if the heat door bottoms before the knob bottoms on the panel. That little bow in the cable will jam the control every time. Usually all you have to do is adjust the cable at the last cable clamp before the heat door, to effectively shorten it and eliminate the bow.

Either way, if you open the heat door by hand it should be fine....until you push that knob all the way in again.

It's one of the things I've learned by doing it wrong 20 or 30 times in a row.

Stewart

Just out of curiosity, where are you where you need cabin heat in July? If it is jammed in the off position, you are good to go. Now if it was in the full on, that might be an issue.

But like SB said, look at the cable-to-flapper linkage, something might be jammed there, or cable bowed under the dash. Could be that nice shiny snapon tool in there too!

Good luck!

My first 20 hours of flying with my instructor was done in the hottest time of the year. Down here in Texas it gets pretty HOT! I would always open the window. Was always dripping with sweat by the time my lessons were over. I thought that my cub was sure hot and I could not what for winter. I had a friend fly with me one day and I ask him to fly up front so I could pick up some flying skills from him. The first thing he did was reach down under the firewall and ask me why my heater was on. He worked the knob back and forth and we soon relized the cable was hooked up backwards. On was off, and off was on. Sure made it a lot nicer to fly when I figured that out. I have yet to fly since I have cleaned the heat box. I think with my heat on off I would of still been getting half heat because of the flapper being able to only close half way. Mark

Back