• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hearing Aids / Flying

Interesting thread... for an airplane group :)

My hearing problem is not so much not being able to hear, but being able to discern the human voice tone from the (whatever) background noise.

I spent 5.5 yrs packing radios/etc around flightlines full of F-4s, have done lots of shooting, and a couple years of helicopter logging (falling) and who knows what else I have done to my receptors.

5-6 yrs ago I got aids that were s'posed to be "tuned" to amplify JUST the freq's that I was having trouble with. I did the "wear 'em to get used to 'em" bit, and the hassle factor plus the lack of help caused me to put 'em on the shelf.

I'm gonna try these newfangled ones tho, they sound great. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Patrolman, I bought them from a private practitioner associated with an ENT office. I went back and back and back for adjustments - no joy. I even tried the darn things last night again to watch a movie on TV. Good thing it's TV and not radio - part of the story comes through via the video!! The "in a barrel" nature of the sound is just so darn metallic that even though high pitches are louder, the voice recognition just doesn't really improve. I'm thinking I will try the one(s) Roger mentioned though - if they're as good for me as they are for him they might be worth the big $$.

Hearing

One of the other problem's that cause hearing loss, is wax build up inside your ear canal. I just found out from the people who sold me the hearing aids that my hearing canal narrows down half way in then open's up again in front of the ear drum. It takes them about 20 minutes to flush out the wax. Then told me to do that part myself with baby oil and a squeeze bottle to flush out the wax in the shower. I would go to the doctor office and have them do that about once a year for $75.00.
Removing the wax helps alot, its like a ear plug in there and build's up over time.

Bill

I have been kinda lurking on this post but I have a question. I was a Nuclear Inspector for the Dept. of Defense for 25 years and all the noise destroyed my hearing. I had a total hearing loss in one ear several weeks ago and only have only very limited hearing in that ear and it is distorted. Tinnitis in both ears is really bad. When I retired from the Fed I was compensated and get hearing aids provided as part of my retirement package. I had a really tiny pair that has a small string to remove them ( no tampon jokes please LOL). I am due for new ones next month what do you folks think is the best to get. thanks Skip

Skip, I also had some tampon aids, mine were made by Starkey, but each year my audiologist would have a couple of aids made for me so I could try out all the latest ones and see if a new one might help. Each year, the new models were a little better, enough so I would buy a new set. This year though, Oticon had made such a large improvement, that I did not even try one from another company. This is like going from a Model T to a TBird. Don't know what they did, but it was really a breakthrough. Skip, try the Epoq by Oticon, you will love the way you can plug the streamer into your radio intercom and also there are devices made by sennheiser, the Sennheiser Set 810S IR TV Listening System. Oticon has a $100.00 off coupon for the purchase of it through Harris Communications. This device plugs into the streamer and it shuts off the aid mikes and puts the tv right in the aids. Also you can use the blue tooth feature with your cell phone. Let me know how they work for you

12 GEEZER, I just went to the beltone web sight and they have a 30 day refund policy.

7. 30-Day Refund Policy

Return Policies, as applicable by law, vary from state to state. Check with your Beltone Hearing Care Professional for details, including the amount of any applicable non-refundable preparation fees. *Not all states require the Hearing Care Professional to provide a 30-Day Refund Policy under specific circumstances. Please consult your state's laws regarding these circumstances.

http://www.beltone.com/welcome/12steps.aspx

Roger, Thanks for the web site. I will definitely mention this and what I have learned here when I go in for "adjustments".

Thanks again.

Roger Peterson wrote
Well I just got the latest and greatest Oticon Epoq aids that came out a month ago and I can now hear and understand better than I have been able to for the last 10 years.
Roger, I want to thank you for the tip on these aids. I just took delivery of the medium priced Epoq's today and think I'm going to like them.
Thanks again, Marty

Hey Gents.

I think that it is great that you have the opportunity to restore your hearing and improve your communication.

I have a barrage of questions!

What gets me, after reading through the whole thread, is how do you keep your pilot licenses? Are you not required to submit to a hearing test as part of your medical? Are you holding private or commercial licenses?

Is hearing similar to vision, that is, your vision must be within limits with correction (glasses?) My license says that I have to carry a spare set of glasses. Would you be required to carry a replacement hearing aid?

BTW, I'm in Canada, mid-40's with (so far) OK hearing and corrected vision. When I get my class 1 (commercial) medical, the examiner always gets to a part where he tests my hearing with a tuning fork and then whispers something. I have to respond to the whisper (intelligently I guess!) Is there a similarity for U.S. pilots?

Back