• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Grove Brakes and the Super Cub

bob turner

I have been running the Grove disc brakes on my J-3 fleet since before they were STC'd. While designed to provide identical braking to a well-maintained Hayes system, they simply eliminated a lot of my brake-related maintenance activity. I hold a field approval for the Grove master cylinders as well, and am of course delighted with the idea that my pedals are always in the exact same spot.

Now I hear that Grove has STCs for a 6" Super Cub setup, that includes approval for all tire sizes up to 26", including the 8:50x6. As I understand it, the 8:50s are not legal on Clevelands without a field approval, although I could be wrong about that. The Grove approval runs from the PA-12 through the PA-20, including the PA-14.

Robbie tells me that the entire kit - wheels, brakes, hoses, bolts, everything - will come in under $1700, which sounds like a lot until you do the comparison shopping. There are apparently caliper options - I may have to get educated on these; most local Super Cubs use the giant double-puck Clevelands at the moment, and for strictly airport operations they may be serious overkill.

Speaking of overkill, the latest J-3 to arrive has Seneca wheels and brakes via field approval - these things dwarf the airplane! But even with the original diaphragm master cylinders, they seem to work just fine.

You know me - my Super Cub will be a stock 18-95, with only the cross-brace and Grove 8:00x4s as mods (well, military shoulder harnesses, of course) but this is now a great option for the big wheel guys.

What fun! Now if I can get him to design a self-aligning trim yoke . . . Or get the brake STC for that poor Champ that will ultimately depart the runway . . .

This sounds like a good thing, but I don't see this STC on the Grove website - all I see is a 4" wheel disk conversion. Can you point me to more info? Thanks!

I have been helping Robie with an STC for his wheels and brakes on the Tri-Pacer as well. Available in aluminumand magnesium.

i just ordered at set of Grove's experimental 6" wheels and brakes to go on my -12 with Desser's Aero Classic 22" tires and the Steves Aircraft vented booster brakes. Can't wait till they get here ! Imagine a -12 which is able to brake.....

The link works! It reminds me - I have to get after Robbie to invent a better way to cotter pin that axle nut. As far as I am concerned, those battleship-size pins are overkill and difficult to deal with. We had one set of wheels destroyed by inartfully applied cotter pins.

The P/N 65-1003 magnesium wheel weight is 6.58 LBS. The 65-1003A aluminum wheel weight is 7.65 LBS. The 29-1005A brake assy is of aluminum construction to handle the high structual torque loads required by the 26 inch tires. The weight of the brake assy is 2.75 LBS.

Robbie Grove

Just curious- other than the weight difference, why would one choose magnesium over aluminum?

The only advantage to mag is the weight. They also are more prone to corrosion. My wheels and brakes are cheaper and avaliable and the STC includes 8.50-6 and 26x10.5-6 tires.

Robbie

Don't sacrifice corrosion resistance for 2.14 pounds. Use the aluminum wheels. A broken wheel from corrosion when out in the boonies will not make for a happy day.

Don't sacrifice corrosion resistance for 2.14 pounds. Use the aluminum wheels. A broken wheel from corrosion when out in the boonies will not make for a happy day.
Most of the Cleveland wheels I have maintained over the years have been magnesium. I haven't seen an issue with the wheels except the very early Champ wheels. I have had corrosion issues with the magnesium calipers.

That has also been my experience Steve. I am thinking of those, particularly in Alaska or Louisiana, who land on salt water beaches and do not necessarily disassemble their wheels on a regular basis. Their tires take a long time (years) to wear out. They grease their wheel bearings without separating the wheel halves. The salt just sits in the seams doing it's thing. 2.14 pounds is cheap insurance. Of course on an amphibian, which occasionally lands in salt, it is a no brainer. Those wheels are always in the water.

Don't neglect your maintenance and you won't be in the boonies on corroded wheels....

Yes DA, that is so, Do you remove your tires and split the wheels every time that you roll through a salt puddle on the beach? How often do most people split their wheels? I have seen wheels which have built up layers of corrosion in the wheel center and under the rims just from being parked at an airport close to the ocean. Everyone isn't as fussy about keeping their plane as clean as Darryl's.

Back