• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flying south from Alaska this fall: questions

55-PA18A

SPONSOR
Dillingham, Alaska
I'm planning on flying the Cub down to the midwest this fall. Not having done this trip before, I have a number of questions that more experienced forum members might be able help me with. The plan is to leave mid to late September, first heading to NE Montana for a couple weeks of bird hunting. Then, on to northern Indiana where I'll park the plane in a hanger over the winter. I'll fly it back up to Alaska in the spring. After a complete rebuild during the past several years, I'm not really happy letting it sit out in the SW Alaska winters. I'm also spending more and more time in Indiana helping my aging parents, and someone here has to keep an eye on it. It will also be there for me to fly while I'm down there.

So, I'll post a few questions, and appreciate any responses.

I'll likely leave from the Wasilla area and cross the border in Montana. Cruise as I'm set up now (29 in. Gar Aeros and 8241 prop) is 80 to 85 mph.

How many flight hours has it been taking to get from Anchorage to Montana?

I'll add questions to the thread as I get further along in the planning.

Jim Woolington
Dillingham, AK

Hi Jim, I made this trip last month in my Cub. A little different routing than you're planning. I live in NW Montana so usually make my Customs stop in Cranbrook BC going north into Canada. For me it was 24 flight hours to Wasilla and I figure a cruise of about 90 mph. I flew up the Trench to Watson Lake then Whitehorse and Northway for Customs.

Coming back it was 22 hours with stops in Whitehorse and Watson Lake. I prefer the Trench but the WX was not good that way on the return so I took the Dease Lake / Cassiar Highway 37 route to Smithers and then Williams Lake and Castlegar with Customs at Porthill, Idaho.

I was surprised at how good the cell service is now along the Alaska Highway compared to my last trip that way. Even little villages like Teslin Yukon, where I out-waited some thunderstorms, had 4G service.

IMG_0187.jpg

The highest price gas I purchased was in Smithers. Watson and Whitehorse are just under $2 Canadian per liter which seemed to work out to about $6 a gallon.

If you're going to stop in eastern Montana then you'll probably consider following the highway into Alberta. There were a lot of fires in Alberta when I went and smoke was a big problem then.

It is all fun and I'd go again next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 161
Hey Jim, I just bought a place in AK last month and will be taking the SQ2 up there next spring, right after the Texas STOL Roundup probably. If you'd like company going back my low power cruise is 80-85 mph (35's).

I'm planning on flying the Cub down to the midwest this fall. Not having done this trip before, I have a number of questions that more experienced forum members might be able help me with. The plan is to leave mid to late September, first heading to NE Montana for a couple weeks of bird hunting. Then, on to northern Indiana where I'll park the plane in a hanger over the winter. I'll fly it back up to Alaska in the spring. After a complete rebuild during the past several years, I'm not really happy letting it sit out in the SW Alaska winters. I'm also spending more and more time in Indiana helping my aging parents, and someone here has to keep an eye on it. It will also be there for me to fly while I'm down there.

So, I'll post a few questions, and appreciate any responses.

I'll likely leave from the Wasilla area and cross the border in Montana. Cruise as I'm set up now (29 in. Gar Aeros and 8241 prop) is 80 to 85 mph.

How many flight hours has it been taking to get from Anchorage to Montana?

I'll add questions to the thread as I get further along in the planning.

Jim Woolington
Dillingham, AK

Spinner,
Thanks for the info. Looks like 3 or 4 easy days of flying (plus weather days) should do it.

Question: Any issues anywhere with using a credit card (VISA/MC) for fuel purchases along the route? Not sure I can convert the $CN/liters to something I understand, but I've been paying $7.15/gallon, so rarely even look at the final price on the receipt. (it would hurt too much)

Phil,
I would really like to travel with someone. The 2015 Texas STOL RoundUp was mid April. If the 2016 RoundUp is going to be about the same, I'll probably be heading north later than that (likely mid to late May), but we should make contact late winter/early spring to see what our plans are.

Question: I don't have a transponder, and know that I need to apply for the transponder exemption. Has anyone had any problems with that?

Question: What's the latest on large N numbers. I have 3 inch numbers. Are 12 inch numbers needed or not? (real info please).

Question: Anyone else heading to Alaska spring 2016?

Jim W

That sounds great Jim. In answer to your questions:

My SQ2 does not have a transponder. Bringing it down from Alaska we requested an exemption. No problems anywhere, in the US or in Canada.

3 inch numbers are fine, that's what I have. You are only required to have 12 inch numbers when crossing an ADIZ. You won't be crossing an ADIZ on your trip.

Jim,

i figure about 22 to 24 hours from AK to MT. Three good flying days should do it. For eastern MT, I'd fly the AK Highway route. Cutbank for customs works or ?.

credit cards are the way to go, and you're right.....who knows or even wants to know what the price is. Liters to gallons, Canadian to US, etc. and, it's not like you're interested in spending the rest of your days in Watson Lake....fill up and go.

MTV

Jim
I have done that trip a few time , the last was last September .
The end of September can be a bit tough weather wise . But that should be something your use to being from Dillingham !
I most times cross the border at Scobey mt. border station [8u3] . Their hours get shorter in Sept.
I have never had trouble useing my VISA in Canada.
The number to remember when converting liters is .264 [ Think .264 win mag.]
# of liters x .264 = galons --so 100 liters times .264 = 26.4 galions .
Cost per galon is --- cost per liter divided by .264 -- so 1.50 per liter divided by .264 = $5 .68 peg gal. .
Right now the Canada dollar is only worth about .77 US . So that 1.50 $ per liter is about 4.37 per gal. in US $'s . --- 5.68 canada $ x .77 = 4.37 US $
Doug

Boom! My head just exploded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Brown Bear's .264 conversion rule and the exchange rate being what it is the fuel in BC and Yukon works out to about $5.75 per gallon in U.S. Dollars.

My credit card worked everywhere for fuel. Where there isn't a self serve system they expect and like a credit card. Places that I stopped that had self serve were Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Williams Lake, Tok, and Gulkana. Other stops were Cranbrook, MacKenzie, Pt. Ailsworth, Dease Lake, Smithers, Castlegar where the FBO's had fuel.

I have a transponder so didn't go through the waiver business. There isn't radar near Northway so having one doesn't make a difference there. Much of the Montana border doesn't either so who is seeing you I don't know. Surprisingly there was interrogation of mine in the Gulkana area almost to Tok. And in Williams Lake the FSS guy gave me a code to squawk and I noticed the transponder light up a few times. And in Castlegar FSS gave me a border crossing code but I never saw it flash from there to home.

Customs and EAPIS were non events but keep in mind that your departure airport has to be on their list. For example leaving Alaska use Northway as the departure airport or you'll get an error in EAPIS.

Looking back at some notes from my trip up in May and to add to Ralphs comments;
They will not come out to Northway Airport after 3:00 PM. I missed the cutoff by 30 minutes and had to camp down at Burwash for the night. The phone number I used for Northway was 907-774-2252. There is a time change south around the border so be carful of the local time when arranging the meeting at the Airport. They drive down from the crossing station about 30 miles away. The time zone issue is more of a northbound thing.
Good luck with your trip it is a fun time.

Are there any members in the northeast part of Montana, or does anyone know anything about the Plentywood, MT airport? Is fuel and motor oil available? I'll be ready for an oil change when I get in that area.

Jim

My family comes from that region, but not sure if anyone is still alive out there.

Wave at Dooley for me please

Looks like this trip is coming together. As I'm going to the Plentywood, MT area, clearing Customs at Scobey, MT seems like a good option. It cuts off several hundred miles from going through Cutbank.

I've signed up with eAPIS and ordered my CBP decal, but having a heck of a time obtaining the transponder waiver. Can't track down the right web site. Any links I can find don't work, and can't find anything about it on the TSA web site. Anyone out there done it recently and can give me a good web address?

We'll get the floats off next week and I'll see if I still know how to land on tires.

Jim

Jim,

I haven't been to Plentywood airport in a couple of years. Last time I was there, their crosswind runway was VERY tall grass, as in hadn't been mowed all summer. The wind can blow a bit there. There was a cardlock fuel system there. There's a small pilot lounge there, and they have a courtesy car. To use the car, you'll have to call the police station, and they'll take your information, then give you the combination to the key box. Worked fine...24 hr dispatch.

I went to high school at Medicine Lake, 25 miles south of P-Wood.
Enjoy your hunt.

MTV

I tracked down the answer to my question regarding the transponder waiver. Links in the AOPA flight planning site weren't valid, and I couldn't find anything that worked. I called the AOPA info request phone number and spoke with Craig Brown. He very quickly emailed me the FAA waiver web site address.
https://waivers.faa.gov/aap/te_pages.p_login

When I got on that site, I couldn't find any reference to a transponder waiver request, so called the phone number listed for FAA. Believe it of not, someone answered after about two rings (I mean a real live human,…not a machine or phone tree.) I darn near dropped the phone. Anyway, he told me it was under the "International" waiver request. I went to the International Requests and found the transponder waiver request part, went through that process and an hour later submitted the application. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Thought I would put that here in case anyone else needs to apply for the waiver.

Planning for the trip progresses. Got a stack of sectionals and the GPS stuff pretty much squared away. Putting together a checklist of gear to take and what all I need to get done before launching.

Question: I'll be traveling late September/early October and expect I'll hit some cold weather, so I'm taking wing/engine covers and electric engine heater. Will electricity be available at the typical overnight stops, or should I plan on taking a catalytic heater?

More questions to follow as departure time gets closer !!

Jim

Brown Bear,

When you said you did the US customs stop at Scobey, MT, did you land at the Scobey, MT airport (9S2) and meet customs there? Or is there a landing area at the actual border crossing (CKK3)?. The CBP site lists Scobey as a border crossing, but it isn't clear to me which they mean.

Jim

I might have just answered my own question. Looking at the sat photo of the border crossing, it looks like there is a ~3,000 ft grass strip straddling the border at the Scobey border crossing. I guess I'll find out more when I call to schedule the border crossing. How realistic is the admonitions from eAPIS and CBP about "don't be early and don't be over 10 minutes late" ?

Hey,…I'm just an old bush rat,…I ain't done this before.

Jim

Jim
There is a grass strip at the US / Canada border {8u3} http://airnav.com/airport/8U3 , same airport but listed as CKK3 in Canada , nothing there but US and Canada costoms . Watch out for the goffer holes at the west end .
10 miles south of the border there is also a airport at the town of Scobey that had self service fuel http://www.airnav.com/airport/9S2
I have made it a point to always been with in a few mins of the time I said I 'd be when I phoned them from Swith current CYYN but never early .
But I have not always crossed at the same time or even the same day that my eAPIS was filed for . I was able to call the Scobey border station {406 783 5375} from swift current by phone and say I had a eAPIS filed for such and such day and would be there in 2 hours today instead of the day I was filed for . Dont forget you need to file a flight plan when crossing the border.
Canada says you must file a flight plan for all flights and I do most times when I am flying in Canada . How ever you can file it with a " responsible" party . But I have always found the Canada flight service [ 866 992 7433 ] great to work with . and besides that way I can check notams , its a bear to be low on fuel and get some where and find the runway being worked on and the airport closed .
There was self service fuel at Swift Current by the way.
I dont think I would count on electric power for preheat ?
If I can help let me know ?
Doug

Jim
Here is a little info on Canada airports that might be of help to you ? Things slow down in NW Canada in late Sept . so it might be best to call ahead and check on fuel ?
Beaver creek CYXQ, nothing much at airport but a short walk to town. not much in town but there are gas stations , food and rooms.
Haines Junction CYHT not much there , I have not been into town , but I was able to get fuel there from a air taxi , thats been a few years , not sure if they are still there ?
Whitehorse CYXY , used to have rooms on field but no longer do . there is self serve fuel at north end of the ramp , you can walk to motels but I camped in little camping spot on field. good food on field . I have alwys cleared costoms there .
Watson lake CYQH ,self serve fuel , long ways around lake to town , nice camping area but everone sleeps on the couch in pilot lounge or on the floor in the terminal . do not drink the water , ask the guy there in the radio station for water .
Toad river CBK7 , small little airstrip right beside the Hwy great for our kind of planes , you can cross the Hwy and fuel with auto fuel at the little resturant .rooms . good food .
Fort Nelson CYYE when you get home you will most likely get a bill in the mail for landing there , 20$ I think , but if you need fuel there is not much choice , there is a Super cub . org member that post here from time to time with a strip a few miles west ?
Fort St john CYXJ big fenced in airport , better check , last time they had fuel but no one to pump it ? .I have meet some of the nicest people God ever put on this earth in Ft ST John,
Dawson creek CYDQ self serve fuel , I slept under the plane but was later told you have to walk around the building to get to the pilots lounge ?
Grande Prairie CYQU , big airport , fenced , friendly , fuel and a ways into town , I did find a out of the way spot to throw sleeping bag , not sure they would have like it if they had saw me ?
Whitecourt CYZU , to far to walk to town , I have sleep in lounge , flight service guy there said I couldn't sleep there but then winked and went in his little room , gave me coffie in the morning. There is a call out charge for fuel on sundays , I dont remember how much but it was high.
Wetaskiwiin CEX3 self serve fuel , sleep in lounge , be sure to stay below and watch out for Edmonton air space , keep below the outer ring .
Swift current CYYN self serve fuel , to far to walk to town .
When you get home you will get a bill in the mail from Canada for flight service about 20$ a year I think ?
If I can help let me know
Doug

Thanks Doug,
That's great information.

I was a bit premature thinking I had the transponder waiver taken care of. I got a call at O-dark thirty this morning from TSA regarding the waiver request. I probably wasn't at my best after launching out of bed (real early morning calls are kind of startling when you have parents in their 90's. ), tripping over the dog and stumbling to the phone. The lady at TSA (Linda) didn't realize there is a 4 hour time difference between Alaska and Eastern time. She kindly said to call back later in the morning after I had some coffee in me. Anyway, I called later in the morning and she walked me through cleaning up a few glitches in the application and everything then seemed to work. If any of you request the waiver and need to call for help, ask for "Linda". She was very patient and helpful.

One more item on the checklist taken care of. Now if my new tires from Bushwheels would show up, I can get ready for taking the floats off next week. Decided I would spring for new tires for the trip. The others are about 20 years old. They last a long time when they spend 8 months/year stored in a ConEx while on floats and skis.

I always keep a Northern Companion heater in the plane with the survival stuff, but it takes a long time to heat anything. I'll not plan on having electricity available and take one of my little Whamo catalytic heaters so I have heat all night long. I'll have the rest of my usual gear that's always in the plane (tent, heavy sleeping bag, water, etc). Hopefully won't have to use it on the trip.

Mike V, I'll be staying at a place about 18 miles NW of Plentywood. The friend from the Helena area that I'll be hunting with says bird numbers look good. I was there 2 years ago and had a great time.

Jim

We should be around if you need to stop in Fort St John there's room at our place if you need. I'll pm you the phone # Dieter

Back