• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flap Question

MTV wrote:
Technically, your definition is accurate, but using that definition, a wing will have a constantly varying angle of incidence due to the aileron movement.
and
in any case, angle of attack is what makes the thing fly.
Agreed and agreed. Semantics. But do you think anybody here will EVER let you get away with even the tiniest misstatement? :lol:

Rob - I was answering Gordon. I have no crop dusting experience.

wasted thrust, not wasted energy..

I think you want to convert thrust into some form of energy. Potential energy is what you need when clearing the trees. Kinetic energy is what you get when you go fast - but remember drag increases as the square of airspeed, so in the runup to the zoom, you are converting some of your thrust into heat, when it would be better to convert it into potential energy (altitude).

Someplace in my deep distant past I remember studying zoom climbs as opposed to Vx climbs. I think it was part of a private pilot study course. That stuff is gone forever - folks are being taught to climb at Vy + 10, which sort of makes 180 hp engines and Borer props a waste of time and money. And they are taught to do so at flaps 10, because flaps mean lift and lift is what makes you go up. I am the odd man out - I believe that excess thrust is what makes you climb, and less drag = more excess thrust. At least for rate of climb . . .

Rob - I was answering Gordon. I have no crop dusting experience.

wasted thrust, not wasted energy..

I think you want to convert thrust into some form of energy. Potential energy is what you need when clearing the trees. Kinetic energy is what you get when you go fast - but remember drag increases as the square of airspeed, so in the runup to the zoom, you are converting some of your thrust into heat, when it would be better to convert it into potential energy (altitude).

Someplace in my deep distant past I remember studying zoom climbs as opposed to Vx climbs. I think it was part of a private pilot study course. That stuff is gone forever - folks are being taught to climb at Vy + 10, which sort of makes 180 hp engines and Borer props a waste of time and money. And they are taught to do so at flaps 10, because flaps mean lift and lift is what makes you go up. I am the odd man out - I believe that excess thrust is what makes you climb, and less drag = more excess thrust. At least for rate of climb . . .
Well Bob, you like the tech stuff, so here goes with my thinking: You're pretty close - - More generally, excess power is what makes the airplane climb. Excess power delivered to the mass of the aircraft is net thrust times velocity, where net thrust is thrust minus drag. At a constant speed that excess power is linearly proportional to rate of climb. That's because rate of climb is linearly proportional to rate of change of potential energy and by definition, power is the rate of change in energy. Total power, then, is the sum of the rates of change of the various energy regimes, notably drag power (drag times speed - the rate of converting mechanical energy to heat, as you mentioned), and the rate of kinetic and potential energy changes. So assuming constant drag coefficient and velocity, all excess power must go to altitude (and noise!).

So best rate of climb occurs at a speed and configuration of maximum excess power. A speed higher or lower than that consumes more power as drag. So as speed decreases, excess power decreases and vertical speed decreases. But between best rate and best angle, horizontal speed decreases faster than vertical speed - hence, angle of climb increases. At a speed below best angle of climb, vertical speed starts decreasing faster than horizontal speed.

I know you know this stuff, so why am I reciting it? Well, it's the basis for why I think the takeoff / climb sequence I mentioned is optimal. The natural conclusion is that it's best to keep the overall drag minimized until the plane reaches at least Vx. That way excess power is maximized and available to increase kinetic energy as rapidly as possible, until an efficient climb speed is reached. THEN redirect that excess power to potential energy and get the hell outta Dodge.

I never meant to imply zoom climb (but I guess I did) - that's a different situation (which killed my friend), I only meant to describe a way of getting off the ground in a short distance, then as promptly as possible begin a sustained max performance climb, whether 'max performance' in a particular instance be best angle, best rate, or cruise climb. I think Ag-Pilot Dave described the sequence better than I did - -- Anyway, as you said, certainly no flaps for best rate - - - Hmmm, I think I might see a mini-project looming for my AP physics class - - - give 'em a rate of climb / airspeed profile and have them play with excess power, drag power, best angle. Poor me - I'd have to go flying to collect some data for them - - -

I've noticed in the 737s I've ridden in, that a little bit of flap is left deployed for quite a while after takeoff. Is that a Control Zone speed limit issue, or angle of climb for noise abatement, or just bleeding them off slowly for smoothness (i.e. passenger comfort) or ???

Oh yeah - a number of times you've commented on the scary deck angle of a Vx climb. This afternoon I was exploring the slow flight regime in my 12, which is different having added leading edge cuff and VGs. So at altitude, I was playing with that extreme nose-up, full-flaps climb, at a deck angle much greater than Vx, maybe 60 deg or so. IAS was 20 mi/hr. Then cut the power. Yep, it goes DOWN in a big hurry, and ya better push it over before it does something really silly at that deck angle. But I was surprised to find that I could recover (flare to zero sink or slight climb, power-off) in about 200 ft, maybe slightly less. But man, if the fan stopped at less than that altitude, there wouldn't be much more than a grease spot on pilot's seat. Yep, get airspeed in ground effect first!!!

Sheesh, I better shut up - I haven't written this much since the downwind turn epic thread!

Umm, I would HOPE that deflecting flaps does NOT increase the angle of INCIDENCE of the wing....that might be catastrophic....methinks you meant angle of ATTACK?

I pretty much agree with the remainder of your post, though. Drag at low airspeeds is difficult to estimate, and probably impossible to measure at these initial ground speeds.

MTV

MTV
I should have said "effective angle of incidence" as I was picturing (in my mind) the airplane at rest for descriptive purposes. It becomes angle of attack after the plane starts moving forward. Also, for descriptive purposes, the horizontal reference line is the ground. Now let's redraw your example in post #56 in the form of a 18 on the ground using the ground as the reference line. Show two examples, one with the flaps up and the other with the flaps down. Now the difference between the flaps up and down effective angle of incidence and angle of attack with all 3 wheels on the ground will be more obvious. Make a third drawing of a 18 with 6" gear and 35" tires with the flaps down. What are the degrees of the angle now? These 2 (flaps up and down) different airfoil shapes will have different L/D characteristics. One really needs to get into an airfoil analysis to accurately answer this question.

The argument of "a wing will have a constantly varying angle of incidence due to the aileron movement." does not apply in this discussion since they move in opposite directions. Thereby the effect of one cancels out the effects of the other. And, the only time that they would not be neutral during take off would be in a crosswind thereby altering the use of flaps during take off discussion.

It all boils down to the individuals ability to really know his/her airplane and what combination works best for them. We all can be shown new techniques and should be receptive to learn. We need to know both the good and the bad so that we can avoid the bad. Each individuals operating envelope is different.

I've noticed in the 737s I've ridden in, that a little bit of flap is left deployed for quite a while after takeoff. Is that a Control Zone speed limit issue, or angle of climb for noise abatement, or just bleeding them off slowly for smoothness (i.e. passenger comfort) or ???

The big jets have minimum operating speeds, as well as maximum, for the different flap settings. There likely was some sort of ATC speed limit restriction that prohibited the plane from going fast enough to retract the flaps.

Nope, Gordon you definitly said it better!!! On the zoom climb deal, It can and will kill you if you hold it to long, have a bit of rudder in that shouldn't be, or and I think this happens more than we will ever know have a slightly bent or out of rig fuselage that may stall OK in the normal config. but will get nasty quick when a sudden accererated departure occurs. I have experenced it and have seen the aftermath.

In my case it was with a in a cub that had been repaired with the AOI different by about a half inch where the top deck had been replaced with the right front wing fitting being that much lower than the left. This was corrected by washing the left wing way out so it would fly level and stall normal UNTIL S2D and I decided to spin it,,,That was interesting and scary to say the least and if we had only been half as high when we started we might not have make it.

There have been 2 fatal cub wrecks here that seem to be zoom climb related where the plane suddenly climbed very steep then crashed nearly straight down with the nose slightly low and only leaving 20-30' worth of forward motion tracks on the ground. I;m not sure if it was a accererated stall situation or just up up up till she ran out of airspeed then ride it all the way back down at full power. I have played around with power off stalls with and without Micro VGs installed on the same plane and with only me and 10 gal. gas, power off stall, hold the stick in your lap and rudder to keep the wings level I would get 500' fpm without and about 250' fpm down with the VGs.

Dave

In my case it was with a in a cub that had been repaired with the AOI different by about a half inch where the top deck had been replaced with the right front wing fitting being that much lower than the left. This was corrected by washing the left wing way out so it would fly level and stall normal UNTIL S2D and I decided to spin it,,,That was interesting and scary to say the least and if we had only been half as high when we started we might not have make it....
Dave

interesting on the different wing attach info.....
had one come in for rebuild that was a flying plane.. had top left tube at header/firewall broke off, and whole left front gear fitting AND left front wing attach was 1" high!!...... old damage, Old polar bear guide cub.....

For What it is Worth: I use the 10 deg setting alot. I find that the airplane will handle much better at slow speeds with that setting and I also will use it when wanting to do a fairly "tight turn". It really makes the airplane come around quickly and with much less control pressure. When they were being used for spraying you would always see one notch of flaps being used in the turns. Would not have a Cub without it.

Ahhh jeeez... Open foot insert mouth :oops:
In my not so well written response I was in no way suggesting that a zoom climb was superior to a climb at say Vxfe or whatever... I guess I assumed we could understand there is quite a gap between the two.

I was merely suggesting that we are starting to talk about different applications for a climb, each with different desired outcomes. Beyond that, I am of the belief that a climb shouldn't necessarily be a set and forget ordeal. Just because you need to get it off in 150' doesn't necessarily mean you need to hold that speed / attitude to the flight levels...

Nor was it my intention to suggest Dave was using flaps to mop up after a zoom climb / turn, but rather that he has using some measure of flap to restore some measure of lift, and likely doing so in a linear manner. What lost lift? The lift he lost slowing it down to make a more efficient turn... Dave, please correct me if I am wrong, because this is just how I happen to use my flaps. I probably should have just said that from the beginning ...
It was this linear use that I surmised would be a good example of a use for more than stock notches.

To expand on that, in my working applicatiion, I rarely know where my flaps are in a turn. I just give the airplane what it wants, no more, no less. And believe me when I say it does not take a rocket scientist to tell when you are dropping too much, or too little.

Now that we have established that I am incorrectly climbing and turning, I will go out on a limb and say that my perfect idea of flaps for a cub would have no notches, just the ability to stop anywhere in the travel... I like 3 notches just fine, and even prefer 4 for the extra choices it gives me. Of course none are really needed, but choices.... Ain't it grand?

God Bless America, land where we still have some choices ;-)

Last edited:
Well, at least now Gordon and I are saying the same thing. Problem is, in a PA-18 with the flaps at 50, you reach Vx at about the same time you leave the ground. And yes a sudden power failure below 200 feet could be fatal, so I do not like to demonstrate these things on takeoff. They are great fun!

The Cessna 180 is the same deal - at flaps 20, the darn thing leaps off the ground and heads skywards. I did that exactly once, and was greatly impressed! Had the engine coughed, I would not be here typing.

I would never place myself in a position where I absolutely had to do a flaps extended Vx climb. That is a lot like Russian Roulette - not enough margin for my cowardly soul.

I would never place myself in a position where I absolutely had to do a flaps extended Vx climb. That is a lot like Russian Roulette - not enough margin for my cowardly soul.

TOTTALY AGREED (sorry for screaming), if somebody is flying Vx (? what ever that is) with ([full] or more than 10%) flaps in a reciprocating (4) cylinder aircraft, that person is an under paid test pilot.

TOTTALY AGREED (sorry for screaming), if somebody is flying Vx (? what ever that is) with ([full] or more than 10%) flaps in a reciprocating (4) cylinder aircraft, that person is an under paid test pilot.
Vx....Very Extreme...... but you can only do it with fat tires.

need my cloudy sack...Mike

Sorry I was being a smart a$$. I apologize. Vx is best angle of climb for your aircraft. Each is different
......Mike

I think the sack thing is already taken. No harm, no foul, no bent metal ... still a good day! Thank you.

Rob, No problem,,, I knew exactly what you were talking about on the spraying turn deal which is kind of a zoom turn in as much as your using energy to gain altitude then converthing altitude back into energy.. its not very dramatic in a loaded Supercub though.:)

Merry Christmas

Dave

The problem with Vx climbs is that at least in my experience, most folks who NEED a Vx climb actually didn't intentionally place themselves in that situation. That's why I DO practice Vx climbs in any aircraft I fly, including the Cub, BUT I do so at altitude. If you need one someday, you need to know precisely how to perform one. To me, a Vx climb is an emergency maneuver, and as such, needs to be practiced.

Everyone worries about what will happen if your engine burps during a Vx climb, and that's a valid concern, but in the case where you actually NEED a Vx climb, that risk is subordinated to the risk of hitting whatever it is you're trying to climb over. If the engine pukes, it's gonna be ugly, but if you don't out climb whatever it is you're trying to out climb, it's gonna be just as ugly.

With students, I ALWAYS have them perform Vx climbs at altitude. I don't warn them about engine failures. Once they've got it pretty well down, I have them do a Vx climb (at altitude) and then cut the power on them. Most airplanes will stall well before the stunned aviator figures out he/she should do something. THEN we start the lesson on being prepared to PUSH the nose over if the engine burps during a takeoff.

And, by the way, even in a more "normal" climb attitude, if your engine were to fail abruptly, many pilots I've flown with will stall rather than catch it. I once had a check airman pull the mixture on me on a Cessna 185 on floats right after takeoff-as in at about 50 feet. It was all I could do to get the nose over and splash down. After I got my heart out of my throat, I announced the end of the check flight, started the engine and flew home. I never flew with that gent again, BUT, that was a real learning experience, though I would NEVER do that to someone else-great way to wreck an airplane.

In combat shooting, they discuss the "reactionary gap" a lot...the time it takes for us to recognize that something is happening that we need to respond to, and then for us to respond. And, that applies here in spades. If that engine fails or even stutters right after takeoff, we need to PUSH on the controls to prevent the stall, even during a relatively normal climb pitch attitude. It's not paranoid to keep in mind that engines do fail and an engine failure right after lift off is going to require some very specific reaction on your part. If the engine never burps, so much the better.

I've had three engine failures or partial engine failures, none of them right after takeoff. Still, as the man says "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you".

MTV

You can analyze this to death but anyone that has any time doing off airport work knows that using the flaps to get off the ground makes a huge difference not measured in inches but yards. Less typing and more take offs and landings will make you a believer but first you have to know when to apply them, 60 mph is to late....

I am a low time cub flyier and have been playing with landings and take off performance working the flaps this way and that to see what works best for me.
Taking off flying this PA18 with 150 h.p. I ease into the throttle to start then full throttle and as soon as the tail comes up I go into the first notch of flap and the plane will lift right off the ground and climb well, sometimes I will keep my hand on the button and pull in alittle more flap and it helps even more then slowly get back to the first notch. I can tell if the engine stopped you could end up with a banged up cub before you could round out to land, so most the time I only use the first notch, it will just climb.
Landing in a strong cross wind with full flaps I could not keep the plane lined up with the runway, had to go around and even with the first notch the plane would drift from one side to the other of the runway, No flaps and wing into the wind and I could land just fine. Hope this helps.

Back