• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FIRC and FR Thoughts

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Some of you will think I have lost my mind when you read this, but this Friday is one of my favorite flying experiences. I look forward to it every two years as it approaches. You see, it's time again to renew my Flight Instructor Certificate.

For a number of years I received an automatic renewal because I was giving enough ratings every two years to qualify. Now that most of my flight instructing is limited to taildragger transitions, off airport work, and flight reviews, I too must be "checked" every two years.

The reason this is such a wonderful day is I get to fly with a designated examiner, Ron Albertson, whom I admire very much. Not only is he a true ambassador of aviation with experience in aircraft from the smallest plane to the fastest jet, I have never met anyone who did not learn something when they fly with him - sometimes this is on the ground, sometimes in the air.

Last time we met two years ago, we spent a good while talking about inadvertent spins, upside down spins, etc, and the importance of begin able to recover. Although I have done plenty of spins, it was a good review for me to discuss these things again.

Ron is never condescending. With Ron, whether you are on a private checkride with him, getting a type rating in a Lear, or renewing your CFI, you feel as though you are both "in this together" and very much on the same team. He corrects you in the most professional manner, and shares his knowledge with you as your peer, not as an authority figure.

You might start thinking that Ron is a pushover. Nope. He has failed at least one student I have sent on a checkride with him - and that student (and his instructor) deserved it. Like any consummate professional, Ron does what he can to work towards the goal as a team, but in the end all the boxes do have to be checked.

So other than to talk about this great guy, what is my point? (and would I please get to it?). My point is that rather than sitting in front of a computer all weekend or sitting in a classroom all weekend to renew your flight instructor certificate, next time consider taking an opportunity to learn something new, and (more importantly for me) observe how a true professional works with you towards your goals. It certainly takes less time and I think there is great benefit for all involved.

On the subject of flight reviews, I have one goal in mind when I am conducting one and that is to review all that I can with whoever I am flying with (even if they have a much greater skill set than I do - which is often the case) to help them safely navigate the next two years of flying. This always involves emergency procedures and power off landings, possibly stalls and other "forgotten" maneuvers. A review of those things few people have done in the last two years. If you have it in your head that your single engine airplane can't be landed safely without the power on and are unwilling to try it, you won't get my signature in your logbook.

Musicians, golfers, marksmen, athletes, military personnel, students, and a hundred other pursuits, do one thing with great regularity that we as pilots often don't do: PRACTICE. Why should we practice? heck, we can always squeeze the cub in in less than the 5000' runway at the home base, sometimes we even make the first turnoff - 2500' down the runway.

I believe we should all practice every time we fly. Sure, you can have a special practice session too, but the next time you are coming into land - passengers or not - say to yourself (or outloud as I do) "I'm going to touch down there" and challenge yourself to do that. If I am by myself and I am not happy with the results, I go around and try again until I am. It's a small price for greatly improved proficiency.

If we fly every flight and make every landing in "maximum proficiency and ability" mode, when the proverbial poop hits the prop, our subconscious reaction will be to fly to that level of proficiency and ability - when we need it the most.

I've rambled, and I apologize. If you are rusty or it has been awhile - even if you have 25,000 hours - get out and do a little proficiency work before you head to Oshkosh, or New Holstein, or wherever your next destination is.

sj

Last edited:
The reason this is such a wonderful day is I get to fly with a designated examiner, Ron Albertson, whom I admire very much. Not only is he a true ambassador of aviation with experience in aircraft from the smallest plane to the fastest jet, I have never met anyone who did not learn something when they fly with him - sometimes this is on the ground, sometimes in the air.

sj

I have taken many checkrides with Ron also. I agree heartily with your assessment. Heck of a nice guy too!

Well said Steve. Good report and call to action. Ron sounds like a great resource.

Bill

If you have it in your head that your single engine airplane can't be landed safely without the power on and are unwilling to try it, you won't get my signature in your logbook.

I like it!

I am amazed at how many 'habits' I can develop between checkrides. Great discussion! Can I use one of your birds in two years SJ?

Steve, I thank YOU for recommending I renew my CFI with Ron this year. In year's past I've done the Jeppesen online renewal. Easy and inexpensive, but time consuming. This year, my business just did not afford me the time to sit for 16 hours and take online tests. So, I flew with Ron. Ron wanted to do the review in our 120, but alas it was a stormy April and after repeated weather cancellations, I found the last mutual day we could do the flight was a day that a 20kt+ crosswind was expected to develop. Definitely outside of the 120's capabilities, I rented a Warrior at the flight school where I teach and although I'd not flown a Piper in over a year (my students are all in a 172, and I fly my little 120), it went well and of course I learned a ton from Ron as always. (I've flown with him many times - every single checkride I've taken with the exception of single-engine sea has been with Ron; I also send my own students to him...I will say he is absolutely NOT a pushover. He's a stickler for safety at all costs and I've heard other pilots and pilot applicants call him "tough" and even I heard "strict" and "unreasonable" with two people. I'd definitely take exception to that; but it makes me wonder what THEIR OWN preparation was like!)

I'll definitely be renewing my CFI in this manner from now on :)

Sarah

Back