• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA Randy Babbitt

Toothcarpenter

CoeurdAlene, Idaho
Randy Babbitt; What do you all think? A name we have all heard of. This has my mind going around in circles. I realize that I don't know much. Must be because I live in a cave. Are we sad that he is gone, or are we happy? How was he for general aviation? I can't say that Iv'e never used alcohol, yet am convinced that mostly it does not add anything positive to life. I have a sense of compassion for the person who lives the honorable life, and has spent their time in making positive contributions to society, and then is derailed by a small bad decision, which grows into a life altering situation. I think if we were all to be purely honest, that "but for the grace of God, there go I". It wouldn't have to be alcohol. It could be scud running. It could be a simple distraction. It could be working too tired. I sure have not been happy that my state, Idaho, and many others, reap a large monetary profit from being in the Liquor business. State Liquor Store. Man, that feels real dirty. I have never heard of the state stepping up to defray the costs of the mayhem they have had a part in. A bar on the other hand, is supposed to police their customers. Sorry to you all, that I can't put a happy ending to this discourse. Maybe it belongs in Rants section. Ed

Besides fine art my mother collected all sorts of things she found amusing, one was cocktail napkins. Her favorites were "I only drink to make other people seem more interesting." which works for me, and the classic “So, when are we coming to your house."

Last edited:
He was the one guy I actually wanted to see in this administration. An ACTUAL pilot.

He was the one guy I actually wanted to see in this administration. An ACTUAL pilot.

Let's see which Federal employee is upgraded to Administrator. My bet is it won't be a general aviation friendly appointee. Gary

I just read where instead of the FAA guys saying, "We are from the FAA and we are here to help", it is now, "We are from the FAA, lets get a drink".

I wonder if Obama will say the police "acted stupidly" and invite the arresting officer to the White House for a beer.

I wonder if Obama will say the police "acted stupidly" and invite the arresting officer to the White House for a beer.

The KAMIKAZE would be the drink since it was the FAA director and he basically committed employment suicide. At least he was a pilot and lets hope another pilot is appointed....

I don't see why he had to resign/fired/forced from his position.

What people do during their personal life is just that, personal. Why people are held accountable for things they do during their personal time into work life is just bizarre.

Why people are held accountable for things they do during their personal time into work life is just bizarre. Really?

Judgment...

but truth be told, having a bunch of tax evaders running the finance stuff bothers me.

A guy that has obvious driving issues may not be the best to be leading pilots in a good way... but I was not there.

Really. It is a straight-forward concept. Is it normal for people to not draw a line between life and work?

Driving issues don't translate into not being able to lead people in a positive way.

Holding judgement over people is like the pot calling the kettle black.

The personal judgment to drive drunk, risking everyone else on the road, shows such a lack of character that should be obvious why he was asked to leave.

Yes, drunk drivers kill, injure and cause lots of problems for other folks. I have no sympathy for individuals that are willing to risk everyone else's safety because they are pigheaded and don't want to take a cab.

sorry for the rant. An uncle was hit by a drunk driver, that had a suspended license, (from a previous dwi), and of course the drunk did not have insurance since he had no license. My uncle, twelve years later, still has medical issues because of it.

And Babbit is a guy that was running an organization that would take other's rights to fly for a dwi...

Nope, a DWI is not a private matter; if we get one we have to report it to the FAA, they should have a high standard themselves.

The personal judgment to drive drunk, risking everyone else on the road, shows such a lack of character that should be obvious why he was asked to leave.

Yes, drunk drivers kill, injure and cause lots of problems for other folks. I have no sympathy for individuals that are willing to risk everyone else's safety because they are pigheaded and don't want to take a cab.

sorry for the rant. An uncle was hit by a drunk driver, that had a suspended license, (from a previous dwi), and of course the drunk did not have insurance since he had no license. My uncle, twelve years later, still has medical issues because of it.

And Babbit is a guy that was running an organization that would take other's rights to fly for a dwi...

Nope, a DWI is not a private matter; if we get one we have to report it to the FAA, they should have a high standard themselves.

Well Said!

Personal is personal, but the public road is not personal nor is the FAA. It is a organization entrusted with the responsibility of keeping the public safe and if it's leader made a choice to endanger not only him self but others he may have come across on this selfish journey, not the best guy to be in charge of the public when it comes to aviation!!!

Quoted from AOPA e-Pilot this morning:

FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt resigned Dec. 6, three days after he was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Fairfax, Va. “Today I submitted my resignation to (Transportation) Secretary Ray LaHood and it has been accepted,” he said in a statement released the afternoon of Dec. 6. “Serving as FAA Administrator has been an absolute honor and the highlight of my professional career. But I am unwilling to let anything cast a shadow on the outstanding work done 24 hours a day, seven days a week by my colleagues at the FAA.”

No use debating if he was forced to resign, or asked to resign, because we'll never know. But if the FAA can take away my​ license for drunk driving, then I'm okay with his resignation. It's not a good example to set.

What happened to the first thread on this topic?

Quoted from AOPA e-Pilot this morning:

FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt resigned Dec. 6, three days after he was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in Fairfax, Va. “Today I submitted my resignation to (Transportation) Secretary Ray LaHood and it has been accepted,” he said in a statement released the afternoon of Dec. 6. “Serving as FAA Administrator has been an absolute honor and the highlight of my professional career. But I am unwilling to let anything cast a shadow on the outstanding work done 24 hours a day, seven days a week by my colleagues at the FAA.”

No use debating if he was forced to resign, or asked to resign, because we'll never know. But if the FAA can take away my​ license for drunk driving, then I'm okay with his resignation. It's not a good example to set.

What happened to the first thread on this topic?

R&R. Thanks to a reference by you know who about power lines.

I know multiple LE officers that have received a DUI while employed with various agencies. One of these guys was even a State Trooper assigned security with MN Govenor Arne Carlson. They all kept their jobs. All of them. LE is a stressful occupation you know.

What isn't fair is that if you look at the criminal record that congress holds, why should they be allowed to keep their jobs? There are dozens of felons, among other things, in congress and all public stewards should be held to the same standard. You just can't inject logic into the government equation.

I don't see why he had to resign/fired/forced from his position.

What people do during their personal life is just that, personal. Why people are held accountable for things they do during their personal time into work life is just bizarre.

Even Randy Babbitt realized his personal behavior was cause for professional dismissal.

What isn't fair is that if you look at the criminal record that congress holds, why should they be allowed to keep their jobs? There are dozens of felons, among other things, in congress and all public stewards should be held to the same standard. You just can't inject logic into the government equation.
Then stop voting for them.

Back