• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA Extending Aircraft Registration Period to Seven Years

Interesting note on NBAA today. FAA has also decided to restrict access to some data that (apparently) bankers look at during loan approvals. NBAA says this will slow registration even further, and if that happens, many private owners will register in one of the Caribbean countries instead.

interesting concept.

MTV

Per this article on AOPA.org, any current registrations will be automatically extended to seven years. If the registration has expired by January 23, you'd have to reapply. See second-to-last paragraph.

same for mine. mailed in last May, got the registration just before christmas (a postcard) and it’s for three years.

Will the FAA be revising the registration expiration dates on their online registry database?

Don't be expecting extended registrations yet. This doesn't go into effect until January 23rd.

"The registration extension will take effect January 23 following a 30-day comment period, and will apply to all aircraft currently registered under existing FAA regulations. While all registrations that are valid on the effective date will be extended to seven years after they were issued, those registrations that are currently expired will first need to be renewed."

I bought a Super Cub in June. FINALLY- I see online the FAA got around to registering in my name. I sent the paperwork in 3 times, each time with the $5 fee and got one to hit. It took 7 months. FWIW- it's only valid for 3 years.

AK737
How did you know if it stuck?I sent in an application for a new to me plane, and meanwhile the previous owners registration expired. I'm now in limbo. I made the rookie mistake of sending a five dollar bill, so I have no way of knowing if it arrived. To make matters worse they insist on original documents, not copies, so I guess I've got to get fresh ones each time?

hey SuperB- I'm not sure it worked. All I know is that when I put my N number in the FAA inquiry website, my name shows now instead of the previous owner. I'm expecting something will show up in the mail soon.

AK737

I renewed mine last in 2020, and database still shows 2023 expiration.

I checked the database on my newly minted registration and it shows 2025
Check on the FAA registry under your N number and you will see this note:
[FONT=&quot]The duration of aircraft registration certificates has been extended up to 7 years. The Registry will be issuing revised certificates in batches based on the former expiration date. For verification purposes, even though the expiration date on the registration certificate may not match the expiration date in the FAA Aircraft Registration database, any registration certificate displaying an expiration date of January 31, 2023 or later is still valid. This applies to all foreign Civil Aviation Authorities or anyone else with a verification need.[/FONT]

FAA sent me a new registration showing the new data. The one they sent was due to expire in March, so maybe they will be sending new ones a couple months before the expiration date shown on the existing one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here...

Certificate issue 24 Jan 2023
Expiration date 31 Jan 2030

Still no paper certificate, but I live pretty remote (by lower 48 standards). I'm sure it will get here soon

Mine was supposed to be renewed May 2023, but I just received a fresh card showing the 7-year date.

Ironically, I filed a change of address back in October but that change has not made its way into the system yet [emoji2370]

Ironically, I filed a change of address back in October but that change has not made its way into the system yet [emoji2370]

I updated my address in August, and just received the new registration certificate showing the new address about a week ago. But it still has the old expiration date. So they will sooner or later send me yet another new one showing the new expiration. (The website already shows the new expiration.)

Word I got was they will be issuing new card s a couple months prior to the published expiration. Guess we won’t see them all at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back