• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

DPE instrument requirements for check ride?

If your instructor doesn’t think you can make that trip safely he has no business recommending you to take the test.

If your instructor doesn’t think you can make that trip safely he has no business recommending you to take the test.

Instructor said “no problem” on the solo to Idaho.

I may actually pull this off. You have no idea the number of hoops I jumped through to do my training in a “conventional” airplane. I would probably do it the same way over again

Thanks all!

That’s great to hear. Make sure you keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Congrats, that is one heck of a cross country flight, get a good weather brief, that area is not covered by many TAF and those can be wrong I have found many times when it comes to unforcast IMC. You mentioned not much room behind that ball hole for another instrument, you might want to check into a dynot portable efis that you can velcro to the panel, or the wifi or whatever apps for tablets that send an ahrs signal to it, and get a couple hours dual instrument instruction in real solid IMC in a plane with a six pack until you are very comfortable flying by reference to instruments, flying with foggles is not the same as being in solid IMC, you have to be able to look at the gauges and understand them and block out what the inner ear signals are telling you. The first time I shot an instrument approach in IMC I still remember it felt strange, but that feeling goes away once you understand how to interpret the instruments and fly.

Attachments

• 61E6F4F5-FFBF-423C-8540-1BDA7EC499E8.png
    61E6F4F5-FFBF-423C-8540-1BDA7EC499E8.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Great news!! Sounds like an adventure. Lots of prep is the key. Make sure you have good tie down ropes and carry extra oil. If you airspeed is in MPH I would set your GPS to mph and not nautical. It makes wind/distance calculations a lot easier. All the ATP types use nautical because that is how the big planes are set up (and how they are trained) that does not mean you have to. Use what YOUR plane is set up for. Do make an adventure out of it. Two night stay is a great ideal. Leave early in the morning if fog is not a issue and enjoy the flight, plan a fuel stop or two, leave room for any problem's along the way. Have a backup plan in case weather gets you trapped after the exam. Don't push the weather leave the plane if you need to get home and come back and get it on a good day. Do dress to walk home and carry lots of warm clothing for the trip. Looks like you can stay near major roads and only add a little extra distance. Check the winds at the destination airport daily and see if there is a time of the day when they get bad, avoid that time of arrival.
DENNY

Glenn Smith in cours d’Alene said he would do it in my cub with panel as is.

He is 290 nm away.

Would it be reasonable for a CFI to sign me off to CC that distance or is it too far? Would probably need to spend two nights there. I could ask the CFI to join but that maybe asking a lot.

Are there Student solo distance limitations for CC?

OP Update: Glenn Smith double checked with whoever he needed to and now says he CANNOT do checkride with my panel- I need at minimum a turn and bank (though I think at this point I probably need HI based on other conversations.) He said he thought it would not be an issue but FAA said it was and ForeFlight could only be used for NAV/charting- no AHRS.

Oh well.

For anyone reading this in the future: I tried for over a year to find a DPE to do checkride without a heading indicator or attitude indicator. Spoke with probably 5 DPE’s in 3 states. No go. Best option if you need it is to plan on installing an av-30 or renting a plane with required equipment.

I like doing things the hard way though- that’s why I did my primary in a tailwheel and I’ve made this much more difficult than it needed to be- it’s about the journey.

Appreciate all the input from everyone on the site. I was looking forward to that flight to COE too.

OP Update: Glenn Smith double checked with whoever he needed to and now says he CANNOT do checkride with my panel- I need at minimum a turn and bank
This has been my impression from the beginning. A minimum of a turn and bank has been required since 1959 when a demonstration under the hood was first required. You are not demonstrating proficiency as an instrument pilot. Only enough to get you out of inadvertent entry into IMC.
All you need in your Cub is to replace the slip ball with either an electric turn and bank or a turn coordinator. That would be the least expensive option and a simple installation.

Some find a turn coordinator to be easier to fly. Yet a turn and bank is easy as well when you separate the signals. Treat the needle the same as your control stick and the ball with your feet on the pedals. Step on the ball to send it into it's house. It's simple really. Use a combination of your airspeed and altimeter for pitch information.

You are not expected to be executing instrument approaches or a cross country under the hood.

Yes. I had to do that to my J-3 in 1963. I think it cost ten bucks back then - a 2" venturi and a $7.50 surplus turn and bank. Not sure any of the instruments still work, but if they do you can borrow one. Not sure I want to rmove the now useless venturi - it has been there for 60 years.

I thought your hassle was an attitude indicator and gyro compass - those really shouldn't be required.

While you are on hold fixing the exhaust issue ask around if anyone has a electric turn and bank laying around you can borrow. Make a simple Bracket for it and stick it on top of the dash. We have been sticking Gps units bigger than that instrument up there for the last 20 years without a problem. BAM you are good to go. Once your test is done give it back with a case of beer. Once you fly for a while you will get a better of what you need for a panel. DENNY

5 of of 6 DPE’s said attitude/HI. Glenn came back and said turn cordinator.

So when i started post everyone had said attitude/HI.
You are new in this aviation game and still learning. Good for you for asking questions. You will find many pilots seem to think that more instruments and radios are required to get a certain job done and anything less than the full Monti is just not enough. Based upon what has been said, I'm of the opinion that you will be ahead of the game by going with Glenn Smith's guidance. I don't know him from a hole in the wall but he appears to understand what is what without pushing for more than that which is required. Pay attention to what your friend Bob Turner says, he too understands.

Back