• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dihederal on a Bushmaster

Rman

PATRON
Carrot River sask
Hello I was looking for information on how much dihederal I could have on my wings. Here's what happened I ordered new sealed struts too replace unsealed ones and the fork hole on the new ones works out too be 1/2" longer than the old ones. For them too fit it has too be screwed all the way in against the locknut, but if I put them on it will add more dihederal too the wing right now it is just under 1 degree what will happen when I put them on and it add more dihederal?

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The jam nut is 3/8 thick I would need too remove it and still would need another 1/8. I wish I took some pics too post they built a extension piece on the fuselage because the stock ones were too short I take them off there is only 5 threads in the strut if I could get longer bolts would work too.

Wonder how deep the threads are inside the bushing that is welded into the end of the strut? Perhaps the strut can be shortened at the fuselage end?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not too sure I'll have too measure tommorow that could be a possibility too do that. I wonder how many threads are needed in the strut.

So the first thing to do is to put them on and figure out what the dihedral really is!!!! Don't guess, you need hard numbers!!! Some prefer a bit more dihedral in the wings, they say it makes for a more stable plane. Others say it does not matter!! The back strut sets the twist that matters more. If the front strut is too long from a twist standpoint than you have to fix/replace it before you fly. Are you sure it is Cub struts that they use? The pacer fuselage is not as high as a cub (4 inch give or take) Between strut and wing attachment. So if you put stock cub or pa 14 wings on it the struts won't fit. I may be wrong but I think both Bushmaster and Producer need custom struts.
DENNY

The jam nut is 3/8 thick I would need too remove it and still would need another 1/8. I wish I took some pics too post they built a extension piece on the fuselage because the stock ones were too short I take them off there is only 5 threads in the strut if I could get longer bolts would work too.
Tell us about this extension piece. Is it a bolt on part? If so just make a new one of the proper dimensions.

Put the struts on and run a string from wing tip to wing tip and measure the dihedral post some pics

Thanks for all the input we ended up putting the old ones back on the ame that was working on the plane had too leave too go check out a plane in Minnesota so hopefully we will get back at it in a couple weeks when he gets back. I will post some pics when we start working on it again

Attachments

• IMG_20180228_085434.jpg
    IMG_20180228_085434.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20180228_085422.jpg
    IMG_20180228_085422.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 92
With a little ingenuity you ought to be able to make a new fitting to compensate for the 1/2". It may not look exactly like that one. Just make sure that you do not build in bending loads on the fitting.

Like Skywagon said, you could rework that adapter/extension piece. The other option would be to rework the struts. Carefully remove the barrel and re-position it shorter. If you happen to damage the barrel I have some of that style........ or even reuse one out of a salvaged/damaged strut. There's some laying around somewhere from a bent airframe.

Back