• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

D.A.'s Back Burner Bushmaster Build

Glad to hear the project is moving forward. Lots of ways to do the fuselage but if you are using a donor pacer or tripacer fuselage remember SB 819. It's a big job but it's one to do now.

Glad to hear the project is moving forward. Lots of ways to do the fuselage but if you are using a donor pacer or tripacer fuselage remember SB 819. It's a big job but it's one to do now.

would you please give a brief on what SB 819 is all about for us uninformed?

The tubing for the stretch showed up today and I started on the table last night so there should be some cut'n and hack'n soon.

Here is the first of the build videos. It's a tribute to Jake Bryant. If you'd like to follow along, subscribe and YouTube will send you notifications as new uploads are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txazZDJMWJ8

Very nicely done D.A.! I obviously never met the man but I did talk to Steve years ago when I was contemplating the building of my "stretch". It was just after Richard Davis finished his airplane. I was originally inspired by the Dave Blanton version in the late 70's.......... even bought the plans. I didn't even know there was an STC'd version until I got more serious about building one and started researching many years later. Having grown up around the Helio I got my desires early on but being in the south there just aren't that many true "bush" type planes to be had. I would love to have a Producer just the way it is but as a builder you know that by going experimental we can put our 2 cents worth into it where we are more restricted in the Certificated version............. this is how airplanes evolve. Why Piper never capitalized on it we'll never know. But no matter how you end up with a "stretch", whether you buy it or build it, you have to give credit to the man that started it all........ Jake Bryant.

The frame is up on the table finally. Now to block it in to lock it in place.

Attachments

• OnTable.jpg
    OnTable.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 269
bushmaster.JPG thought you might like to see my project, been flying about a year and a half, o 470 up front, cheers, nick

Attachments

• bushmaster.JPG
    bushmaster.JPG
    691.1 KB · Views: 294
Looks great Nick! Beautimus......... Is that a "cuff" on the leading edge or a different airfoil than the traditional USA35B?

The larger engine doesn't diminish cub aesthetics. It's beautiful. My only question is why the 470? My Bushmaster with 180 at 1500 pounds on floats provides everything I need fishing and hunting in and out of tree-crowded small lakes.

I learned from 65 to 85 J3s and 150 SC that the J85 was a dream but not so much load and climb.Was your decision 470 mostly for load and climb for your missions?

your right, bigger is not always better,the decision to use the o 470 was mainly because of availability, the option to use boat or mogas, and the fact that the ultimate goal is to have the ac on amphib floats, lots of torque to get out the hole, would I go that route again?, maybe, I love the power and take off performance, ability to pack a load, on the negative side it burns fuel, is not any faster( i usually throttle back for economy),and its heavy, every thing is a compromise, that being said,am very pleased with the plane, cheers, nick

I'd like to hear more about the build D.A is doing, I have acquired an original PA20. I'm looking forward to starting my stretched pacer build. This is my first post and I'm sure I'll be looking for some guidance!

I'd like to hear more about the build D.A is doing, I have acquired an original PA20. I'm looking forward to starting my stretched pacer build. This is my first post and I'm sure I'll be looking for some guidance!

Unfortunately the Bushmaster STC is only applicable to the PA22-150/160. I really wanted to stretch my 1950 PA20.....couldn't unless I went the experimental route. Did do the PA18 gear and horizontal tail surfaces....and other stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm doing the experimental route....I've got nothing but time with this build. Looking forward to building it!
It would be a shame to remove a classic from the system. What category of "Experimental" do you propose to operate under? Most certainly it will not be amateur built. The others have legal operating restrictions. Before you get out your hacksaw be sure to discuss the project with the FAA or at the least your local DAR.

D.A.

Just checking on your progress......... hope all is well. Mine is slower than planned but still hoping to get it flying in next few months. ......... Too many projects!

Back