• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CFI renewal/re-instatement

flying_eth

Eagle River, AK
My CFI expired a while ago unfortunately. I had over given over 10 endorsements for practial tests with only 1 person who didn't pass on their first attempt. I gave my endorsement record to our POI and he said he'd take care of it. I wasn't able to get to a town with a FSDO during this time so I told him I could fax him anything he needed. Well a couple of weeks later I find out my CFI is not going to be renewed and it was to late to do so. The POIs excuse was it was kind of his day off and I did not give him an 8710, I didn't know I needed one as this was my first renewal. I'm currently training for my helicopter add-on ratings. I really love flying helicopters and would love to make a career out of it. Now I'd love to get my CFI back as I worked hard for it and feel I could contribute to aviation safety with my experience (over 800 dual given), and would be doing a service for my small community in Alaska so people don't have to drive 4 hrs for a CFI. I am a company instructor for the company I work for here in AK in airplane SEL SES MEL so I can and do instruct guys for initial and re-current training regularly.

My questions are this does anyone have any know if it's possible to re-instate my fixed wing CFI ratings by getting a helicopter CFI, one FAA guy here says no, and the regs seem to say the same thing. Anyone have any experience with FSDOs doing anything like this. When it comes to my helicopter CFI how does that work, I mean I'm a CFI, just not current so is it still an add-on or do I have to start all over? Do I have to take the ride with the FAA which is next to impossible to schedule, or can it be done with a DE? Right now (as always I suppose) both time and money are a huge concern and I don't see the point paying an arm and a leg to fly a C-150(I'd rather spend the money on helicopters, more fun and useful, plus it's been awhile since I've had to pay to fly an airplane :D ). I'm barely going to be able to afford to finish my helicopter as it is. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jon

You can re-instate your CFI by flying with a DPE. You don't have to fly with the FAA.

As far as the rotor craft CFI re-instating you, I don't know. My only experience was I got my CFII first with the FAA and 2 months later added the CFIA with a DPE. My CFI renewal date moved up 2 months because of that.

I always renew with a DPE because it doubles as a BFR

Rich

If you have been a company instructor, have you had a ride with the FAA for it? If so you should be current from that ride.

I believe that any add on to a CFI will upgrade/make current your existing.

I did the ride here with our FSDO, but it was a breeze to schedule... They like cubs.

I just renewed my CFI by taking the Jeppesen online course.

They are very strict about renewals vs reinstatements. I think of it this way---if you let it expire (not really true in your case but the effect was the same) it's as if you never had the certificate.

So you take your heli CFI ride. You get a CFI heli but not airplane. It's a completely different category of aircraft. The airplane portion becomes an add-on. If your airplane CFI had not expired, then when you took your heli ride that would have been added on. Then every time you renew it ALL of the ratings on your CFI get renewed. Your certificate will say: CFI--helicopter, airplane single engine land. When you get your MEI it will say, airplane single and multi engine. Etc.

Disclaimer: this is subject to error so I'd check with the AOPA, but I feel that I'm correct. Certainly somebody will jump in here and correct me.

My best advice is to get your heli CFI, then go find a Designee and get your airplane added back on. It won't be that expensive. Then NEVER trust a fed to follow through unless you're riding him like a donkey. The only time it works well is if you live where a FSDO is easily accessible and you can bang on his door. Or if you know him or her personally and can guilt them into not forgetting.

I renewed one time with a fed based on airline work. Nearly fell through the cracks, decided it was always best never to even let it come close to expiring and just renew with an online course. I only do the odd Flight Review or Instrument Pro. Check now, but will never let it expire unless I'm on my deathbed.

Don't let this go too long or you'll never do it. I think there will always be some kind of work where you live, teaching fixed-wing.

Good luck.

Richgj3 said:
I always renew with a DPE because it doubles as a BFR

Be cautious here... The FAA has said that an initial/renewal CFI check does not meet the BFR requirements unless you have the Examiner specifically endorse the oral/flight check as being a BFR also.

aktango58 said:
If you have been a company instructor, have you had a ride with the FAA for it? If so you should be current from that ride.

This has always been the case in the past at air carriers. Your POI "CAN" do it if they chose, based on an observation ride.

There is a difference between renewal and reinstatement. What you need is a reinstatement. A reinstatement can be done by a DPE, and any reinstatement places back into effect your instructor certificate. I give reinstatements all the time in gliders and it reinstates everything on the ticket.

David Cahoon
DPE

Thanks

Thanks for all the help everyone. It was confirmed by 2 FAA inspectors that I can take the ride with a DPE and it will reinstate all my fixed wing ratings.

Take which ride, heli or airplane? Are you saying that if you take a first CFI checkride in a heli they'll reinstate your airplane CFI?

Regarding using a flight with a DPE to renew a CFI and counting as a BFR, this is from 61.56 (d)

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

I can see how this could be open to interpretation from FSDO to FSDO.

Rich

Richgj3 said:
Regarding using a flight with a DPE to renew a CFI and counting as a BFR, this is from 61.56 (d)

(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

I can see how this could be open to interpretation from FSDO to FSDO.

Rich

Oddly enough, they do not consider a "CFI initial/renewal" a pilot certificate or rating as it applies above. There has always been confusion about this. They issued a legal opinion many years ago. At the moment, I don't have it to include, but I can attest to the fact that it exists.

Joe and Hydrocub,

Thanks for that info. There's more than one DPE around here that missed that one! :D

Rich

Back